DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dodge ram 2006 truck with the 5.7 hemi. The truck has alot of miles already on it so I am looking on changing the engine of it.
I would like to know what is the options that I have of engines that I can still use with the original transfer case.

Anyone has done this ?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Reuse the block and build a stroker motor call stu at inertia motorsports.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It Still runs so I can sell it for a very nice price here in Venezuela, allowing me to purchase a very cheap new engine.
I was looking for more torque and Hp , so was thinking on a bigger Hemi but do you guys think is just better to tune up a 5.7 new engine?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking on the 6.1L .
Does someone know who sells them with a installation kit for the truck?

I can sell the engine here for $3500, a new 5.7l will cost me around $4500 and with something more I can get a bigger engine without the need to spend extra money to put a supercharger on it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I was thinking on the 6.1L .
Does someone know who sells them with a installation kit for the truck?

I can sell the engine here for $3500, a new 5.7l will cost me around $4500 and with something more I can get a bigger engine without the need to spend extra money to put a supercharger on it.
Is that U.S. dollars? $3500 sounds like a ton of money for a high mileage motor...

Most go for $800-$1200 or so here in the states. My friend here just bought one out of a wrecked 07 with the transmission and transfer case for $1400.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that U.S. dollars? $3500 sounds like a ton of money for a high mileage motor...

Most go for $800-$1200 or so here in the states. My friend here just bought one out of a wrecked 07 with the transmission and transfer case for $1400.
This is because here in Venezuela everything cost 2x because of the regulations here of exterior commerce.
You see on the exchange rate that the 1 dollar is 4.5 bolivares but actually here it costs 8.6.
The cars here cost double but I fill up the truck with just 1dollar :LOL:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, he is from Venezuela. $800 USD is equivalent to about $3500 so hes spot on on pricing :)

Id say rebuild it if it hasnt thrown a rod.
Im afraid that it can happen that while Im traveling and with the service here you can be robbed....... and killed in some places

dosent anyone sell like a 6.1 with all the parts ready to fit on the truck?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Im afraid that it can happen that while Im traveling and with the service here you can be robbed....... and killed in some places

dosent anyone sell like a 6.1 with all the parts ready to fit on the truck?
Ready to fit the truck? No, it was designed to fit a car. If you get a long block, then you could bolt on your intake and exhaust manifolds and all of your old accessories after you put the timing cover from your old 5.7 on it. Problem you run into here is first finding a 6.1 long block and getting it down to you, then the extreme port mismatch you will experience between your stock intake and exhaust manifolds and the 6.1 head ports and then tuning it to run right. Swap like this will require a few custom or aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ready to fit the truck? No, it was designed to fit a car. If you get a long block, then you could bolt on your intake and exhaust manifolds and all of your old accessories after you put the timing cover from your old 5.7 on it. Problem you run into here is first finding a 6.1 long block and getting it down to you, then the extreme port mismatch you will experience between your stock intake and exhaust manifolds and the 6.1 head ports and then tuning it to run right. Swap like this will require a few custom or aftermarket parts.

Sorry for my bad english:sad:
So what modifications can I do on a 5.7 to deliver more hp and torque?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Gears, programming, whether it is custom or canned, good exhaust headers on back, cam, converter, head work. Once you start really modifying stuff custom tuning will allow you to really take advantage of your modifications...or you can go the easier route (forced induction) or the cheap route (nitrous oxide).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how much can I gain doing that mods?
was thinking later preparing the engine to put a supercharger. I think that will all that mods I can get 500hp on the engine and that is enough for me.
Am I right?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you need to do all the boltons as well as cam and ported heads...adding nitrous to this will put you close to 500 hp or more (depending on shot) at the wheels..

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you'll gain enough from a cam/heads/custom tune setup that you'd think your driving a totally different truck...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does anyone know were I can buy a new engine and in the same place ask them to make that mods?
I was talking with Bouchillon Performance Engineering to do this. Has anyone work with them before?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
if you got the bucks, just call Inertia Motorsports, Stu can build you a nice performance engine for you.. his cam and heads are in my motor..and I'm pretty fast...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts