DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at purchasing a travel trailer I’ve got a 14’ 1500 5.7 6sp. 4x4 with 3:55 gears. I have found a sweet deal on a 7500lb# dry weight. Am I being to ambitious in thinking my truck will handle this camper? I will be using a weight distribution hitch and will be purchasing air ride kit.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Your truck should handle it and it's under the max towing capacity. Is your truck 2wd or 4wd? What's the trim level? What air ride kit are you planning on buying? I tried the airlift 1000 air bags and I was completely dissatisfied with them. The tuftruck springs are much better.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
According to the owners manual we have a max towing capacity of 10,350 lbs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recheck your load limits on the express. When I was researching trucks the express only showed around 7000lbs. There is a link on this site somewhere that leads to a mopar sight that you can enter the vin into and it gives you exact limits. Just google ram towing capacity and its near the top.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That's fine dry, but I have a feeling you'll be pushing it when you're loaded and ready to roll

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
That's fine dry, but I have a feeling you'll be pushing it when you're loaded and ready to roll
^^^This. You have to take into account the weight of your total load. Water in your tanks, the people in the truck, fire wood, water is very heavy, clothes, food etc. All that can run 1000lbs. My mauel says 8600 lbs for towing. Over 10K is 2500 territory.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
With an 8600# base rating, that dry weight is too high. I suspect that without very careful packing you will exceed your payload and rear axle rating. If you have a family of 4, forget it, you'll most likely be over your max by a fair margin.

Your terrain will also dictate what a comfortable towing limit is for you, just because something might fall within the limits doesn't mean it's a good idea. My last camper (26' and 4900-# dry) I took over Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado (almost 11,000 ft in elevation with 6.8% grade) and it was quite comfortable with a combined weight of 12,000+ pounds, so the camper was probably 6000-6500# loaded.

My new camper is 5' longer (31' plus)and 900-1000# heavier and nearly maxes my weight ratings in every category (axle, towing, GCWR). The truck tows it well, but I wouldn't put much more camper behind a 1500 as it becomes a lot to keep in check for the WDH and sway control. I would not take this setup over Wolf Creek Pass, even if I had 3.92 gears, it's just too much weight and length for the truck to try and keep in check.

Everyone's towing experience is different. I have over 8,000 miles of towing my trailers on this truck through the US and Quebec, mostly highways.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You only have a 10K pound towing capacity if you have the 3.92 gearing in the back. This is too heavy for you, as you have to consider several hundred pounds of stuff and people and water you will also be carrying. Your tow rating with the standard gearing in back is about 8K. and remember, this isn't about what the engine can tow... but what the brakes and suspension and turning can handle. Going forward is easy.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
You only have a 10K pound towing capacity if you have the 3.92 gearing in the back. This is too heavy for you, as you have to consider several hundred pounds of stuff and people and water you will also be carrying. Your tow rating with the standard gearing in back is about 8K. and remember, this isn't about what the engine can tow... but what the brakes and suspension and turning can handle. Going forward is easy.
To an extent, yes, but the difference between my truck and a truck rated to tow 10,000# is 3.92 gears. The rest of the truck remains the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of the thing you can do to make hauling easier is … do not fill the fresh water tank until you reach your destination. Empty the waste water tanks before you begin or end a trip.

There is a website you can visit to determine the whole truck/trailer weight and hauling capacity.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
One of the thing you can do to make hauling easier is … do not fill the fresh water tank until you reach your destination. Empty the waste water tanks before you begin or end a trip.

There is a website you can visit to determine the whole truck/trailer weight and hauling capacity.
This only works if you're going to have full hookups. If you're boondocking you have to have water.

·
Registered
89 Posts
good point. Just saying... something to consider. it was tough to find the 3.92 gear ratio. went to a dodge dealer that had maybe 100 trucks. they had ONE that had that gear ratio.

luckily, it was everything i wanted. black, big horn package, full size box. I should say, it was probably the full size box that made it so tough. Need a 6'5" bed because we tow a goose neck. they had VERY few trucks that weren't the mega cab. under 5%. Same thing with the Tundras.

good luck, be safe. and if you ever get pulled over for a too heavy load (which I have never heard of happening on a regular pick up truck). Tell them it's a 3.92 gear ratio, so you are safe. they will have no idea what that means.

just know I am not saying "you don't have enough truck!". no. I am seeing just be safe out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts