DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the engine is cold on start up I get a tapping noise that use to last about 15 seconds, now its up to 30 seconds. I called a Dodge dealership about this a year ago and the service writer told me its nothing to worry about, that the Hemi engine is noisy anyway and if they were to adjust the noise out it would simply come back in time. So, I just kept going along until I thought about selling the truck. I couldn't morally sell the truck with that tapping noise which I suspect are the tappets. The truck has 95k miles on it and I was wondering if anyone else with the Hemi motor experiencing the same thing? Its an 05 Ram BTW.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I found my 2009 5.7 Hemi starting to tick louder as the weather got cooler, mostly on the first start of the day.
I was told that this was the normal Hemi Tick

I changed over to Synthetic motor oil & a quality oil filter (WIX/NAPA/CARQUEST) at about 40,000 miles, it now has 61,000 plus on it, i hardly hear the tick at all now, even at near freezing temps

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello fellas
just signed up Hey john999, i just notice the same noise this morning Im alittle worried. its not the (normal) hemi tick, but something lower down. Mine goes away when i apply throttle in park. After it warms up im stuck with just the hemi tick.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hemi tick

I also experienced this with my 2011 Express with less than 3k miles,I switched over to synthetic ,cant hear it now:smileup:

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I also experienced this with my 2011 Express with less than 3k miles,I switched over to synthetic ,cant hear it now:smileup:
^^^^ Same thing, noticed it before I switched to synthetic oil, now it's gone. :smileup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
most tick people hear in their motors is most commonly known as lifter tick. ford 2.8, 2.9 v6s was common for this. dodge stealth 3.0 also suffered from this. Seems they thought that the oiling hole on them needed to be the size of number 2 pencil lead. so when oil is cold and thick it has a hard time to feeding into them. And when a lifter gets old and worn it tends to bleed down between run times hence a tick until the oil re pumps it up by rev the motor forces more oil to the upper end and warming up the oil thinning it down. quieting down the lifter tick. Syn oil is thinner and doesnt gel like standard oil. causing it to pump up the lifters faster. With this said I am not saying this is exactly what is causing this in the Hemi motor but I personally wouldn't rule it out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
How cold?? How dirty is your engine?? Why aren't U using full syn oil ??

I run 0w30 in my LS 2 motor here as its too cold for 5w oil.

Full Syn oil is dirt cheap insurance for any car/truck. Hell my dodge has only 194k mile of hell for the other owners. I got full syn for its FIRST oil change at 197K......................

Funny how can spent $300 a month on coffee or smokes and freak on 5 qrts of full syn oil for $30 bucks with filter

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got the Hemi tick too, but only when its cold and the truck has sat for a day. If any one makes a comment on it I just ask them if they can still hear it while they are sucking my exhaust!!! I tried a cheap oil filter and it did it more frequently, but went back to Mopar filters and it only does it when I get close to an oil change. I looked into it a bit and it seems that cheap filters don't have a very good check valve to keep the oil from draining back. I use the tick as an "oil change alarm"!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hemi tick still there

Thanks for the responses, if you look around this thread the Hemi tick is fairly common. I've done most of the remedies suggested. I've used full synthetic oil for the last 30K miles, installed better oil filters and learned that most filters have that check valve that was mentioned, none of this calmed the ticking down. I've also tried the Lucas Oil Treatment without success.

In my case I did learn in the last few thousand miles the tick starts when I put the truck in reverse when backing out of the garage on a cold start. That is something I didn't notice before. The tick used to continue for approximately 15 seconds, which puts me at the first stop sign in my neighborhood. Now, the tick is there for up to a minute before going away and instead of only happening on a cold start in the morning it occurs more frequently now, even with a warm engine. I could be stopped somewhere for 10 minutes and upon start up the tick returns, never did that before.

The fact the noise is really noticeable when I put the truck in gear has me baffled, I suppose it could be the torque effect or strain put on the engine with its in gear, who knows. What makes the noise sound louder is the fact I have the Air Raid cold air system installed. I've been told the ticking noise has less obstructions with the Air Raid or other cold air filters installed.

The one fix that I think has the most promise is installing larger push rods. Apparently going from I believe 5.7 to 6.1 has solved the problem for a couple owners here. Not that they did that to solve the tick issue, it was done for something else and the change in push rods apparently reduced the slop between parts and fixed the problem. This is the direction I'm headed now and want to collect as much information about the problem before I take that step.

Some Dodge dealers I've called about the Hemi tick are aware of it, but none could give me a solid answer as to what can fix it. Its as elusive to them as it is to me. However, I'm sure somewhere out there in mechanics land there is a fix to it and I'm also sure Dodge probably knows but cares not to talk about it. With all the questions raised and the numerous owners I've encountered who have the problem in common, Dodge should at the minimum advise on a solution. A solution in my mind is a recall, but that is a drastic step on their part and they probably want to avoid that.

Maybe if I keep the ball rolling here it might prompt someone to chime in with the answer I've been looking for. I can't see myself selling the truck in it's current condition, the first time a prospective owner hears that noise the red flag starts waving, it would for me if I were a buyer. I poised that very scenario to a Dodge tech and he told me not to worry about it, no harm to the motor, bla bla bla. Tell that to a buyer and see if he is still interested in your truck. Otherwise, I love the truck, its the best four wheels I've owned and I keep it looking new and have added some real nice upgrades to it. In fact my latest is a complete OE looking slip on simulated leather interior I found at the SEMA show. I swear you can't tell it apart from the real deal. I had the choice of colors and I went with black with grey perforated inserts and red stitching. I have yet to install it so I'm looking forward to that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My truck (2009 Hemi 4x4) has a tick noise, almost like water droplets dripping, and it happens across a wide range of rpm and doesn't matter if it is warm or cold. I may try to record the sound. Judging by this discussion it probably is nothing to worry about. I would not call it engine knocking, but tapping, or ticking. It is subtle and quiet, one would not really hear with music on. I appreciate any and all feedback.

My tick occurs mostly when pressing the gas and accelerating. This makes me think hat I am not talking about the same thing as others is only happening upon startup?

·
Registered
36 Posts
same Ticking sound here as original poster. Its only on initial start-ups. and for the first minute. Just started this past month and I have 59K on my 09 RAM Hemi. Up till now, it's just been the usual slight "Hemi tick".

Oil Always changed with Full Syth. Mobil 1 5w 20 and my Transfer case, rear diff and trans fluid all changed with Amsoil.

Damn Ticking!:att:

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the future finders of this thread. I have a 2010 5.7 Quad Cab LS. Does exactly the same thing. It started about 45,000. just here and there every few days for 5-10 seconds then on to first only in the morning like some of the posters here have said about 55k, going away by first stop light or few blocks. I took it to dodge and they were like "what noise". d**ks. Driving close to a building or fence you can hear it worse. it is definitely a lifter/head portion of the left side. I tried Dodge twice more at 70k and 80k. Got the it's normal answer. Now I am at 100K and I hear it pretty much everyday all day. Does not seem to affect the performance in anyway and like one poster noted about the pencil size oil port to one of the heads. I can make it go away at a stop light by tapping the gas pretty hard real quick producing a quick rev and it stops for a good hour or two. It's annoying more than anything. I plan on running this truck into the ground. If I can remember in a a year or two I will let you know if it ever manifested into anything more. I have looked this up before and it seems to be pretty standard with the Hemi engines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Exhaust manifold leak

Dodge replaced my exhaust manifold leak on both sides under my lifetime power train warranty and I know longer deal with this?

·
Registered
511 Posts
For me, this ended up being warped (and therefore leaking) exhaust manifolds, just like cptsopiens. The bolts were even broken off at each end (by cylinders 7 and 8). The truck was doing this shortly after I first bought it (if not before) at 38k. Had them both replaced under powertrain warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts