DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
My 2012 had bolts and manifolds replaced under warranty three times. Warranty expired and I spent $2200 CDN to have felpro gaskets and JBA shorties installed. Last round had two bolts on each side broken. Picked up just over 1 mpg, hand calculated, and it tows better. No heat issues and haven’t had a broken bolt in almost two years, where they were every year previously.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the insight! My son said he did not want to tackle that job. I have a new quote of $520 so I will take it one more place and get a quote. Thanks guys, headlight replacement was a big enough pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. I had my son, which only had ag class welding, weld a nut to the piece of the bolt left in the block. Then it came right out. The block is aluminum so there is really no chance of welding the bolt to the block. He did have to build up the bolt with the weld first then just welded the nut right to it. There are youtube videos on how to do it.

I just repaired or attempted to repair the driver's side. To get everything removed took a bit over an hour. I had three broken bolts. Two were flat to the surface at the head and one had enough hanging out to get vice grips on and I could easily remove it. The other two I wasn't able to remove. These were located at the top front near the AC lines and the very rear lower. I went ahead and put everything back together with a new manifold, gasket, bolts, and left the two broken bolts in the head. It's fixed for now, but probably won't last more than a year until the manifold wraps again. I believe the head will have to be removed to get the bolts out.

My thoughts now are, this is a very painful repair to do on yourself for the first time. I won't do or attempt it again after successfully doing the passenger side and sort-term repairing the driver's side. Once you begin hearing ticking exhaust sound, plan to do the repair as soon as you can. The longer you wait the more bolts will break and it makes the repair much more difficult and expensive. I put mine off on both sides until it was quite severe. If you're going to keep your truck long term, I would invest in the shorty or long tube headers.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts