DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Hemi with approx 95K miles and when starting cold the engine produces a tapping noise that used to go on for about 15 seconds. That was a year ago, now the tapping is there for 30 seconds or more. I called Dodge service about this a long time ago and the service writer stated it was a common thing with Hemi motors, that there was nothing to worry about. If they were to adjust the noise out it would simply come back in time. I'm thinking of selling the truck and I can't morally sell the truck with the tapping noise, so is there anything to the writer's statement its a common problem with Hemis?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
542 Posts
not that I'm aware of but its common with theses Hemis, sell it and be open with the buyer and direct him to this website and look up the HEMI TICK should be more than enough info to help them make the right decision....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the search mode suggestion and I did just that and found out I'm another victim of the "Hemi Tick". I read all of the threads and have come to the conclusion Mopar service has done absolutely nothing to resolve this problem. There are many reasons behind the tick apparently, but the symptoms I have are generally the most common, that is, ticking on cold starts subsiding soon after. Unfortunately, there are many who have to live with the ticking noise as long as the engine is on.

What gets me about this situation is the acceptance of the ticking anomoly as normal for a Hemi motor. I say convince a prospective buyer your truck is normal and you win a dozen donuts. I believe and only saying; cold start ticking is a lack of oil in the valve train or a lack of properly speced parts during engine assembly which could show itself later as ticking. Its something that wasn't obviously designed into the motor, its a mechanical cause so it should have a mechanical solution. This is not the typical Hemi valvetrain noise I hear about, its not a bunch of metal clatter as one member posted audio/video of. The one mechanical issue that may cause this was one proposed by several owners: the pushrods were too short. One in fact stated his ticking went away after installing longer pushrods, the 6.1 length rods. Sounds plausible to me. I think if this issue were to be investigated properly by Dodge in my opinion the pushrod length suggestion would make sense, but what do I know? All I know at this time I'm convinced the ticking is not normal and it shouldn't be there so why hasn't Dodge issued a recall and get this problem fixed?

Another moderator got miffed when a member used the word "stealership". Yes, I agree the word should not be used as a blanket statement, but I understand why the member would say that. There are plenty of substanciated stories around to support such a lable. For example, When I called a Dodge dealer about the ticking problem last week I was asked to bring it in so they could check it out. Thats fine, but I wondered why the service writer apparently knew nothing of the ticking issue, its all over the forum. On the other hand, when I called the same dealer a year ago regarding this the service writer then knew of it right off the top. And thats part of the problem, one writer has the knowledge which takes him in one direction whereas the other is shooting in the dark. Hopefully the mechanics are part of the checks and balances, I'm sure or hope they have an idea whats really going on. My fear on bringing the truck in with a mystery illness is the possibility of getting the diagnostics wrong and that costs me money. Its the same situation I encountered soon after buying my truck new in 05, in fact I reported it here and that was a potentially dangerous suspension issue with the truck. Briefly, at freeway speeds of approx 65 to 70mph and when encountering a sizeable crack or bump, the truck would literally almost jump left or right violently. It was downright scary. A buddy of mine's wife refused to drive his 05 Ram because of the same problem. Talk about a liability issue, but some employees at the Dodge dealership were aware of it while others were not. Nothing was written in the public record regarding recalls, but the service manager acknowledged it was in fact a real problem, he himself experiences it on his own truck. One writer indicated the problem stems from having a rear end that was too light and that throwing in 500 lbs of sand in the truck bed would fix it. The dealer tried to resolve the situation by installing "engineered shocks" from the factory, which told me the factory was aware of the problem yet it also sounded like they weren't transparent about it. The new shocks helped but not to the point of a fix and to this day I've lived with it by making driving adjustments. I also threw in a 100 lb sack of sand and the added weight of a full fiberglass bed cover has made the truck stable enough to drive, but not 100%. The point is there was no recall and the reports of this were not widely shared by Mopar people. In fact I was surprised the service manager owned up to the problem in the first place. My customer/dealer relationship ended with that store when I brought the truck in for a routine trans and read end fluid and oil change and they charged me $468 for the service. In that circumstance they earned the name of stealership.

Back to the ticking noise I just can't accept the fact Dodge has no resolution to this common problem. Its gotten to the point if is so common apparently the word "normal" is used to describe it. I think if I were to pursue this further by researching the topic more something might come of it and I again strongly believe again there is a mechanical cause with a mechanical solution. The problem is those in the best position to help us find that solution are absent. Maybe I can put a band aid on it by removing the CAI filter and returning to stock, that will buffer the ticking noise so what I don't know won't hurt me.

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
Several people believe that the oil bleeds down into the pan over night & it takes a few seconds to get back up to the top, but that would mean that the hydraulic lifters would have to void themselves also

Others like you mentioned are playing with the push rods out of a 6.1 engine & putting them into the 5.7

I just know that when i switched to a synthetic motor oil & a good quality oil filter, the ticking has almost gone away

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
HEMIs Tick is more noticeable in the 5.7, but it is also heard in the 6.1 & 6.4 Hemis

Lifters
One of the most common causes of the hemi tick is a problem with the lifters. There has been much speculation about what causes the lifters to tap on some hemis, especially the 5.7-liter V-8, however there is no technical service bulletin or recall on this engine from Dodge. If your hemi has lifters tapping, it is important to check the amount of engine oil and make sure you are using the right type of oil for the vehicle. Low engine oil can cause a lifter to tap and can cause permanent damage.

Fuel
Low quality fuel can cause the hemi tick. Fuels that contain high amounts of ethanol or that are low octane may not properly lubricate the fuel injectors and can lead to a slight tapping or ticking noise. Low-octane gas has also been known to cause an ignition knock in high-performance engines. Using fuel additives or a high quality gasoline can help prevent this from occurring and may be able to correct or minimize a hemi tick.

Valves
The intake and exhaust valves on the hemi may also be causing the ticking sound you are hearing. Valve tapping can be caused by several different problems, including a lack of lubricant or a problem in the springs that close and open the valves. Valve problems should be examined by a mechanic to determine the precise cause and possible solutions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know the tick on my truck is also a leaking exhaust manifold, just haven't gotten around to doing something about it yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the possible causes, but I can rule out exhaust issues, anything related to low oil or low octane fuel. I've been running synthetic for the last 15K+ miles and the tick was there prior to the changeover, it has gotten progressively worst as time goes by. Previously it would only tick on morning starts with a duration of about 15 seconds. Now, the tick is there if the truck sits for 15 minutes, even with a warm engine. The duration of the ticking has increased in the morning as well, from 15 seconds to 30 seconds +.

If it were some of the causes pointed out the ticking would continue and not cease after so many seconds like mine does. To me it seems obvious the problem lies with a lack of oil getting to the places in the valve train where its needed, that is why it ticks at start up and when the oil gets up into the valve train the ticking stops. Isn't this the obvious problem? And when the truck sits for any length of time the oil drops down from the valve train and like I said its starting to tick even when the engine is on the warm side. Again, the ticking stops just like it does on a cold start.

Now, the question I have is what parts in the valve train that would be most affected by a lack of lubrication? Meaning which part will tick and I'm not talking clattering noises, its a distinctive tick that increases or decreases with the engine rpm. Could the push rods be the most likely cause if they are lets say too short for the motor? I wish there were more than one reporting this fixed his ticking situation after the owner installed 6.1 length push rods. Other than him, I can't recall one real fix to the problem, minimizing yes, but not fixing it 100%.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man I don't think Ive ever had a car that didn't Tick. Old Civic did it. New Fit does it. Ram does it. Camaro does it...... and pretty sure the cavalier didn't sound to hot. Oh and lets not forget the turbo eclipse.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
i have a 09 with the 5.7 and mine would tick also....the way mine was when i would start the truck it would tick until it idoled out to low rpm's so i took it to the dealer and i had 2 bolts at the manifold that were broke off so they got replaced under warranty and now the tick is gone thank god

·
Registered
2 Posts
not saying this is what is happening with your dodge but...when i start mine in the morning it ticks for a bit till it warms up and it is a manifold gasket. what happens is the manifold is cold as it heats up it expands enough to cause the leak to stop.. over time it will get worse and sooner or later it will tick all the time. talked to some guys at dealership and they said that the gaskets need to be replaced around 90k and its pretty common on the 5.7

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
try running a wix oil filter. wix oil filters have a double check valve to prevent oil leak down.
Thanks for the suggestion and I installed the Wix filter yesterday but unfortunately it made no difference.

I might take a second look at the exhaust manifold leak cause again since two members stated that was the cause of their ticking problem. The other is again going with the 6.1 push rods instead of the stock 5.7 length. I have the Air Raid cold air filter and people have said having a system like that makes the ticking noise louder. I'm wondering if thats the case what that might tell you where the ticking is coming from? Does it possibly tell you it comes from the valve train or does it indicate its more likely from the exhaust manifold?

Any help would be appreciated because this issue is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found out something else. The ticking sound is when the truck is in gear, starting with putting it in reverse to back out of the garage. You don't hear it when the truck is idling while in park.

Have no idea what this might indicate, but its new information that might lead to a solution maybe, hopefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Several people believe that the oil bleeds down into the pan over night & it takes a few seconds to get back up to the top, but that would mean that the hydraulic lifters would have to void themselves also

Others like you mentioned are playing with the push rods out of a 6.1 engine & putting them into the 5.7

I just know that when i switched to a synthetic motor oil & a good quality oil filter, the ticking has almost gone away

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 4x4 my ticking started around 70,000 miles yes I use this truck but its kept up tp perfection. Wife is a travel nurse that's where the miles came from. The ticking is getting a little louder now but quiet ups when the engine is warm. 2 me
chanics said without even listening its a exhaust manifold leak. Ram trucks are known for years of this problem. So now to find a mechanic that wont rip me off and milk the clock for more money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just spent 3k on all new lifters and a cam. Apparently these trucks are known for the pin bearings in the lifter roller seizing up and tearing up the cam thus causing a lifter tap. It will first be noticeable when the truck is idling (very faint tapping) or when it's cold... over time it will wear the cam down and eventually completely seize the pin bearings in the roller and eat away at the node on the camshaft. After all the lifters being replaced on both heads as well as replacing the torn up cam my truck runs and sounds normal except this morning when it was 0 degrees out. I had a lifter tap for about 10-15 seconds and then it went away. My theory is that there is some kind of design flaw in the motor not allowing sufficient oil pressure for the hydraulic lifters allowing it to tap on the cam until pressure is reached. My theory is that over time and repeated taps (over the period of a couple years of cold starts) it has beaten up the bearings enough to seize it and it begins to eat the cam at that point. I am going to try full synthetic oil next to see if it allows for a quicker pressure build. Anyone else have catastrophic cam/lifter failure?
lifter cam failure 5.7 hemi.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts