DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, thought I'd get some input on this before I call up the dealer on Monday. I bought the truck new. It is a 2010 Dodge Ram with the Hemi in it with 27500 miles on it. Took a trip a couple of weeks ago and before I headed out I checked the oil level. It was down a full quart with only 1500 miles since the last oil change. Checked it this morning after another 1000 was on it for a total of 2500 and it was down another 1/4 to 1/3 quart. I didn't pull a trailer and this was just normal city Highway driving(mostly highway). I change the oil every 3000 miles, using Castrol 5W20. With the recommended oil change of 6000 I could concievably be down 3 quarts or so. Is this normal oil usage for the hemi and are there any bulletins about this. By the way I cna't see any leaks, the engine is clean and I don't see any smoke out the exhaust on startup or driving. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
That is definitely abnormal oil consumption, for any engine, but just to cover all the bases, when do you check the oil? Right after driving it, when it's cold, our after driving it and letting it sit for 15 min our so? The reason I ask that question is if you check it right after driving, you will still have oil in the valve gallery and you will show a lower amount that you actually have and if you add more you will powerful. If it's cold, you won't have any coating the internals and it's not thinned out to operating temperature, this will again showa non-true reading.

Things to check: the block and ground for any signs of leaks, pull the plugs and look for signs of blackening or sludge build up, and lastly, check the coolant. These will give you a good idea if you are losing or burning oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no leaks that I can see and no oil under the engine on the ground. I usually check the oil after it's been sitting overnight before I fire it up in the morning.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
check the coolant. That is definitely abnormal

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would definitely check one plug on each cylinder to see if any are fouled. If one of the cylinders shows signs of oil fouling, I think you'd have a good chance of it being a warranty-repairable issue. A 2010 shouldn't be using oil like that.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well talked to the dealership. Now get this. Dodge's acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 1000 miles. With a 6 quart capacity and a recommended oil change every 6000 miles, well you get the picture. Apparently they want you to run the engine dry before they admit a problem. I looked at the Service Manager and said do you know how stupid that makes Dodge look. You would think they were government affiliated. He smiled and said he didn't say he agreed with it just that it was Dodge's policy. I put a new pcv valve in it because they thought it might have gotten stuck, per their recommendation. I'll change to a different brand of oil and see if that helps. If not we"ll go back for round 2.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I wonder how the EPA or (here in CA.) How CARB would feel about this information.... If you're burning a quart per 1000 miles, it's definitely polluting!

·
Registered
18 Posts
way back when Dodge's used up oil at 1 quart per 1500 miles than u new it was time to change the oil. so now we wait for the 3000 to 6000 and hopeing i check the oil and dont damage the engine . don't think so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got concerns with oil loss myself. I have a 2012 hemi with 4,000 miles. Oil was changed at 3,000 (had to add 3/4 qt before taking it to the dealer for its first oil change) about 3 weeks ago. I checked the oil today after running it a while and it showed 1/2 qt. low after letting it set for 15 minutes it showed close to the full mark, the dealer told me the same that 1 qt. per 1,000 was acceptable not sure who feels thats accecptable but I sure don't. Going to keep a close eye on it.... a new truck should not be using oil

·
Registered
161 Posts
So after reading this thread and what everyone has posted I have to highly agree with recommendations and also as well that a new truck should not be using that much oil. The only other recommendation that I can even think of to make is maybe use a different brand of oil or use a different brand of oil filter. I haven't had any problems with my 2009 Ram but I will say that at first I was using a Fram Extraguard oil filter and it was restricting oil flow terribly. So I switched to a Wix oil filter and it performs much better than the Fram ever though about. 1 quart per 1,000 miles....totally not acceptable. I change my oil every 3,000 miles when the indicator light comes on my dash and when I change it, it isn't very dirty at all and it is still in the safe level on the oil dipstick. I can't down Castrol oil because I have personally never used it and don't know how well it performs. I use Valvoline 5w-20 and it works great. I do not use synthetic though. Hope everything works out for you and that you can resolve the problem.

Best regards, -Justin(mopar09)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
does synthetic burn easier or quicker than traditional oil?

·
Registered
137 Posts
In a well worn engine it is possible to burn more synthetic oil than traditional, but that shouldn't be the case here at all.

This is not normal at all for pretty much any engine, I would call dodge directly and complain until they did something. The oil is going somewhere, if it's not in the pan, not on the ground, and not in the oil then it is going out the pipe.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
In all reality, 1 qt per 1000 miles isn't that crazy. Yes it's a lot, but I wouldn't freak out over that.

Regardless of oil change intervals, all engines burn some amount of oil, and you need to keep it topped off. Amsoil makes a 25,000 mile oil, but if you never checked the oil level then you'd probably have about 1-2 quarts left by the time 25,000 miles comes around.

Just because the interval is 6,000 miles doesn't mean you don't have to check it and add some in that time. If you look in the manual I bet it says to check all fluid levels, tire pressures, etc. every time you get gas, or something along those lines.

I'd more realistically expect 1/4-1/2 quart in 1000 miles being consumed. Most of it depends on how the rings were seated upon break in. How did you drive the truck when it was brand new? This is partly why driving it correctly to break it in from mile 0 is so important. It also greatly affects gas mileage.

If the truck runs good, don't worry about it, just keep it topped off. You could try a 30 weight oil, or a different brand it may help.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
my '09 5.7L HEMI with 65,000 miles does NOT use hardly any oil

when i drop it off at the dealership for service, ( i supply my own oil & filter ), i don't exactly completely trust the service bay to fill it correctly.
When i get home, i wait for the engine to cool down, then i take the Catch Can off & look at the amount & color of the oil, then i put it in a oil squirt can for general use. I then check the oil dip stick & top the level off.
The last 2 times it was just the slightest bit over filled, other times it has been a 1/2 quart low

1 - 20 of 26 Posts