DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure hope they did something different with the lifters and the exhaust manifolds on the 2019's hemi! Seems every dodge or ram truck has that dreadful exhaust or lifter tic or both! By my 2010 was horrible with both and both my brother in laws have 2014 rams and they too sound horrible! My brother has 2015 ram with hemi , he hit about 30,000 miles and the hemi tic started. You would think by now they would have figured out how to stop this from occurring! Makes a beautiful looking truck sound like a POS going down the road!

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,662 Posts
Me too, I should have bought a Ford v6. Quiet as a Prius.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Took my boss for lunch the other day, she got out before i cut my truck off, and asked "Is it a diesel?":SHOCKED:

So unfortunately, I know how you all feel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, guys , can only hope someone from mopar that has some authority and ownes one of their own trucks makes them fix the long going problem!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Full synthetic oil makes it considerably better. Should it exist, no, but I still really like the hemi. It is an annoyance but it's hardly noticeable since I moved to full synthetic and I have 48,000 miles on my truck including towing and plowing.
I'd likely opt for the Coyote over the EB from Ford, and the 5.3 Chevy is just outgunned and usually geared with 3.08 rears...useless aside from a sluggish grocery getter IMO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been trying to decide if I was going to use traditional or synthetic oil , I am leaning towards synthetic and if it helps with the lifter noise then great! Not sure it will do anything for the exhaust manifold bolts loosing or breaking causing the exhaust tic. The lifter noise always went away after the idol kicked down but that manifold tic just got louder as you drove off.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
What I am wondering is why you are sure this is a problem and not just a characteristic. The gen 3 Hemis have always done this, and you can't really compare them to other engines for a couple reasons. For one, they have a splayed pushrod layout because like every other Hemi (gen 1 and 2) they have dual rockers per head. A lot of guys who want to sound smarter than they are will say these aren't true Hemis because they have polyspherical instead of hemispherical heads, but the reality is that 2 of the 12 1st gen Hemis (the 315 and 325) also had polyspherical heads. All Hemis have dual rockers though because of the opposed valve layout.

Ford doesn't make a pushrod engine anymore, and the GM pushrod V8s are all wedge heads with 1 rocker per head and so they have an inline pushrod layout, so you can't expect that a Hemi will sound like either of those. What's more, they raised the camshaft height for the 3rd gen Hemis to minimize side loading on the cam which may be another reason you hear it.

Reactions: canadian.bacon

·
Registered
72 Posts
As the owner of a 2019 Ram Big Horn, and a previous owner of a 2017 and 2015 ram all with the hemi. I can assure you that the famous hemi tick on startup problem HAS NOT been fixed. Yep, my 2019 is louder then the other two at startup. This truck only has 750 miles on it, but unfortunately it's still present.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What I am wondering is why you are sure this is a problem and not just a characteristic. The gen 3 Hemis have always done this, and you can't really compare them to other engines for a couple reasons. For one, they have a splayed pushrod layout because like every other Hemi (gen 1 and 2) they have dual rockers per head. A lot of guys who want to sound smarter than they are will say these aren't true Hemis because they have polyspherical instead of hemispherical heads, but the reality is that 2 of the 12 1st gen Hemis (the 315 and 325) also had polyspherical heads. All Hemis have dual rockers though because of the opposed valve layout.

Ford doesn't make a pushrod engine anymore, and the GM pushrod V8s are all wedge heads with 1 rocker per head and so they have an inline pushrod layout, so you can't expect that a Hemi will sound like either of those. What's more, they raised the camshaft height for the 3rd gen Hemis to minimize side loading on the cam which may be another reason you hear it.
I love these technical explanations. The noisy-ness of my engine bothers me a bit, but reading stuff like this it almost makes sense.

It freaks me out because Im not used to engines being noisy. I havent had an "American" vehicle in 20 years and the last time I had an engine with pushrods was even longer ago. For all I know, all pushrod engines will make similar noises, but I have nothing to compare it to.

It does bother me, though, that it seems to be worse under acceleration (similar to a noise I think you had/have, Thunderhorse)....a little embarrassing when your new-ish truck sounds like it is a really old-ish truck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well fordjake, I was just hoping that by now they would have fixed that! Thunderhourse, if all that ticking and exhaust leaking is simply a characteristic it's one I'd rather do without! The exhaust manifolds leaking can only lead to poor performance issues as the exhaust sensors are not getting the proper read since exhaust is leaking out where it shouldn't there for sending the wrong message to computer .

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Not sure why the startup tick bothers people, cold startup tick has happened on most pushrod motors with hydraulic lifters for as long as I can remember. Doesn't hurt anything. Lifters bleed down when sitting and need to pump back up.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Not sure why the startup tick bothers people, cold startup tick has happened on most pushrod motors with hydraulic lifters for as long as I can remember. Doesn't hurt anything. Lifters bleed down when sitting and need to pump back up.
I think "Hemi tick" is a huge misnomer at this point.

Is it the quick startup tick after the engine sits for an extended period?

Is it a ticking noise while the engine is just sitting there idling?

Is it a ticking type noise when accelerating under a light load?

Is it an exhaust leak "ticking"?

Is it something not listed above?

It means different things to different people at this point....to me it is NOT the slight tick on startup after the engine has sat. I had that on my old Frontier as well so Im used to it.

What I have is a tick under acceleration, almost a pinging type noise. But Im not even calling that Hemi tick....its either pinging or something rattling (maybe torque converter pump chain?)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Thunderhourse
The British spelling :LOL:

I think "Hemi tick" is a huge misnomer at this point.

Is it the quick startup tick after the engine sits for an extended period?

Is it a ticking noise while the engine is just sitting there idling?

Is it a ticking type noise when accelerating under a light load?

Is it an exhaust leak "ticking"?

Is it something not listed above?

It means different things to different people at this point....to me it is NOT the slight tick on startup after the engine has sat. I had that on my old Frontier as well so Im used to it.

What I have is a tick under acceleration, almost a pinging type noise. But Im not even calling that Hemi tick....its either pinging or something rattling (maybe torque converter pump chain?)
I think there are a lot of moving parts in any engine and so what we are all hearing, or think we are hearing, may not be the same thing. Coupled with the fact that manufacturers are using more and more seals, sound deadener, and even active noise reduction measures to make the interiors quieter I think we may be hearing stuff that would have gone unnoticed before

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
First of all- because FCA quit making the hemi shows, that if there is nothing done so far, there will not be a change and all vehicles from now on will have the same engine as the ones which are already on the roads. If someone don't like the tick- don't buy it.

As already said- there are different "issues":
does it just do it at start up- the hydraulic lifters take a while until they're full with oil. as long as they are not full, they don't eliminate the play to the valve and you hear it clicking. this should go away within 30 seconds. If you change over to thinner oil or oil with better viscosity (example full synthetic oil), it's likely this will go so quick, that the tick is not noticeable anymore.
The reason why you don't hear it at OHC motors is, that there are less parts in between the cam and the actual valve.

Then there is this permanent tick- regardless if you idle or if you drive under pressure.
This is, when one or more lifters are clogged up and oil can't get into the chamber. the hydraulic valve play adjustment does not work and it sounds like a diesel. If so, then you need to replace the hydraulic lifters.

If you have it only in Idle, and it goes away when you step on the gas, the lifters are on their way to clog up. This can be fixed in most cases with a motor cleaner and / or full synthetic oil in combination with 2-3 short distance oil changes. If not, then the lifters are already bad and need to be replaced.

The noise from the exhaust is another thing and there is nothing else to do than fix it- my recommendation would be to underlay 2 gaskets, which gives the manifold a little more flexibility when it expands.

Other than that- I don't see an issue, when it does it at start up. This engine has more moving parts than comparable- as Thunder already explained. This does not work without certain noise.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
FCA is still making the Hemi. Well, I guess not the Demon, but the Apache, Truck 392, Hellcat, and Eagle

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
FCA is still making the Hemi. Well, I guess not the Demon, but the Apache, Truck 392, Hellcat, and Eagle
yeah- but not for the RAM. The 5.7 is done for them. unfortunately. It's an engine which makes my cry to think about it's basically dead and not coming back.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
?

Is it not available in the 5th gen?

it is- they stock piled it and as they say, enough for the next 2-3 years. But once the last one is off the shelf, that's it.
Still hope, the 6.4 finds it's way into the 1500. This one will be around for longer.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
it is- they stock piled it and as they say, enough for the next 2-3 years. But once the last one is off the shelf, that's it.
Still hope, the 6.4 finds it's way into the 1500. This one will be around for longer.
Ive not heard that before, thanks!

I would think they would stick with some form of V8, still, so maybe the 6.4 really is destined for the 5th gen.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Ive not heard that before, thanks!

I would think they would stick with some form of V8, still, so maybe the 6.4 really is destined for the 5th gen.
It was a rumor last year around the same time as the one that said the next gen Charger and Challenger would be on Alfa's Giorgio platform and be unable to accommodate a V8. That one didn't pan out

1 - 20 of 68 Posts