DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the Hemi to tick at idle. Never noticed it before until I was in a drive-thru behind an older car. When I rolled my window down I thought the ticking was from the older car in front of me. He left and the ticking was still there. It's a light tick, but nevertheless, a tick. I used to have a similar tick on a 2007 Mustang GT and the dealer said it was normal...something to do with variable valves or something.

Man, the two things I hate the most about cars...vibrations and ticking at idle :sad:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
do a search on HEMI TICK

It's probably normal. I just switched to fully Syn. Valvoline and still have it

·
Registered
15,702 Posts
i use penzoil ultra, and so far with 12500 miles, no tick. also us the k&n filter with the nut on the end. if it does start to tick, i will consider it normal for the hemi.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Mine ticks too man no worries, was sitting beside another white sport after work, his ticked a touch more than mine.
Just the valves opening/closing I guess, I'm not to worried. Been doing it since day one. And every other boy I talk to at the mine, does the same thing

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do a search on HEMI TICK

It's probably normal. I just switched to fully Syn. Valvoline and still have it
Mine ticks too man no worries, was sitting beside another white sport after work, his ticked a touch more than mine.
Just the valves opening/closing I guess, I'm not to worried. Been doing it since day one. And every other boy I talk to at the mine, does the same thing
Well, here is the best explanation Google could give me:

Nothing in writing (TSBs) from Dodge on the subject, but the "Hemi tick" seems to be a common grumble from Hemi owners.

I touched base regarding the engine noise with a longtime friend and Dodge technician on the east coast. According to my guy, and Dodge technical support, it's a hydraulic valve lifter noise which is being considered a normal characteristic of the new-generation hemispherical combustion chamber (Hemi) engine.

The ticking sound is typically heard from a warm engine, idling, while standing to one side of the truck -- more commonly noticed bouncing off the wall at a drive-thru. The technical cause is thought to be the somewhat horizontal positioning of the hydraulic roller tappets (valve lifters) in the engine block. The lifter location projects normal lifter noise out the sides of the engine.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
should i worry if mine doesn't tick? lol

Maybe:4-dontknow: lol

But no I was in the same situation, I was paranoid the first week with the tick. I actually started a thread on the forum and everyone said they had the same and assured me it was fine. And it has been.

The more I read and see myself its a "Hemi" tick thats, I don't want to say harmless because you never know. But its been no issue for me

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine's quiet, but she's only got 1100 kms on her!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tick Tick Ticking away. I did not buy a Hemi back in 2005 because of the ticking I heard when trying one out. So I purchased a Chevrolet that had Piston Slap instead LOL. I have 5 years or 100,000 to NOT worry about this problem. You do too

Enjoy your new truck Man !!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 11 sport ticks and it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 11 sport ticks and it drives me crazy.
Yeah, it does suck. I think the dealer should disclosed the tick before buying. Did I say that out loud? A dealer disclosing anything?:doh:

No, but seriously. It should be added to the manual or DVD. Chevrolet did that with the C5 Corvettes. Since the tranny is in the rear for weight distribution, the C5s have a rattling noise (sounds like a bad throw out bearing) sometimes while taking off slowly and if you turn of the car without having the clutch depressed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
totally normal for cars/trucks to make the tick mine does it (4500mi) my brothers ecoboost does it (6000mi) even my old mans 02 viper rt10 did it before he sold it

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
I have the same issue.... It is just a slight tick and I only have 2000kms on her...... But with that said I was informed by the dealer that it is common......

·
Registered
547 Posts
You have lots of metal on metal contact with a I/C engine. On a new one the fuel injectors will also add to the engine noise, it's not an electric motor, and peoples hearing may have as much to do with the difference repoted in different trucks (Hemi's).

·
Registered
129 Posts
The valve-train in my new 12 Hemi ticks too! It makes me want to park it back on the lot. I don't see how it's "normal." I have a 01 GMC 5.3 with 90K and NO TICKS!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have lots of metal on metal contact with a I/C engine. On a new one the fuel injectors will also add to the engine noise, it's not an electric motor, and peoples hearing may have as much to do with the difference repoted in different trucks (Hemi's).
I have had just about every type and brand of vehicles in my 40 something years of breathing, and the only tick ticks I remember came from old tired out engines where the cam shaft was worn and not even a valve adjustment would cure it. Well, that and my 07 Mustang had an intermittent tick...just not as noticeable as the Hemi tick. I understand that there is lots of metal with internal combustion engines...all engines are made of metal, right? I think the Hemi tick is just something that cannot be fixed without redesigning something major and affecting performance. If it could have been fixed, they would have done it, right? Nevertheless, it's a pain in the arse. Thank God my ~\/~ came with a powerful radio that plays loud country music :git:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I just bought a 2012 with a hemi and have not noticed the tick but today will have a listen . My truck though when first started has a rumble sound that eases off after running a minute or so.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I just bought a 2012 with a hemi and have not noticed the tick but today will have a listen . My truck though when first started has a rumble sound that eases off after running a minute or so.
Go through a drive-thru and you'll notice it. It resonates off the wall.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts