DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody hear/read that they did something about the Hemi tick with the new model year?

My 17 started ticking occasionally when it was cold, dealer told me it is normal. BS and I got rid of the truck. Hopefully they did do something about it.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
It's a good question. Other than the hybridization, which is substantial in its own right, I'm not sure how much the Hemi engine has changed. I'd suspect that if it's still iron manifolds on aluminum heads, then the possibility is still there for the common exhaust manifold bolt issue down the road.

Both my 15' and 17' Hemi would tick a bit when they were under 5-6k miles, but quieted down after the first oil change. This mostly only happened if I were to start the truck up, turn it off and then quickly start it up again. Just my observations anyway.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
975 Posts
When I did my oil change Friday, I drained the Penzoil, refilled with Petro Canada Supreme Synthetic 5W20 and no more cold start tick.

Try different brands of oil.

·
Premium Member
32,560 Posts
Switch over to Full Synthetic 5W20
it all but made the tappet tick go away

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They shouldn't tick at all. For whatever reason the lifters bleed down and that is a design flaw FCA needs to address, there is no excuse and it is not normal. The Hemi is a modern engine and not some first design hydraulic lifter engine from the 60's.

Don't get me wrong, I had many Dodges or Rams and like them but will not get another Hemi powered Ram until it is fixed.

·
Registered
998 Posts
They shouldn't tick at all. For whatever reason the lifters bleed down and that is a design flaw FCA needs to address, there is no excuse and it is not normal. The Hemi is a modern engine and not some first design hydraulic lifter engine from the 60's.

Don't get me wrong, I had many Dodges or Rams and like them but will not get another Hemi powered Ram until it is fixed.
It might be a while :)

I find this "tick" is subjective. I had a 2001 Frontier with a 3.3L V6 that ticked at startup as the lifters filled and had a buzzy-bee type noise up front of the engine. Never missed a beat, though.

Now I have experienced what someone mentioned above - a loud(er) tick for a few seconds after starting, moving, stopping and restarting the truck in quick succession. It would be nice if they would fix it, but Im not sure its damaging or just a nuisance.

As far as Im concerned ALL engines make some kind of ticking noise(s). You should hear my G37 at startup! It quiets down some eventually but still you open the hood and you hear a ton of things "ticking" and "clicking" away.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree with you on that because in my opinion when the lifters tick due to bleed down there is some wear until they get pressurized and quieten down. I know, it might be minute but it can't be that hard to change the design and fix it.

My wife's BMW doesn't do it and I am driving a 2018 Tundra right now and it doesn't do it either and we had some single digit temperatures here in Missouri.

So, I am hoping for the best because I really have my eyes on a 1500 Longhorn Hemi e-torque next year. I can't wait to test drive one with e-torque, it should be up to par or better then the F-150 3.5L EB I had at low RPMs.

As you can see, I am not a brand specific fanboy (well, wouldn't buy a GM due to looks) and buy what I like at the time and meets my requirements. Anyway, the 3.5L EB torque at low RPMs is second to no other gasoline engine in a 1/2 ton truck, FCA might just topped that with the e-torque system.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So far my 2019 Ram 1500 isnt ticking and hopefully it stays like that, but the 2014 i had did do it a little when it was cold out but only for a couple seconds

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far my 2019 Ram 1500 isnt ticking and hopefully it stays like that, but the 2014 i had did do it a little when it was cold out but only for a couple seconds
Congratulations on your new 2019, you must be one of the first owners to have one. I hope you will not get the ticking, but then, maybe they did fix it after all.

How do you like the truck?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The new one is amazing so far, rides so much nicer and the engine is quieter and they even managed to make the transmisson shift even smother

·
Registered
56 Posts
What year did you come from?

My '17 rides so nice, I couldnt even comprehend it riding any nicer lol
My old one was a 14, it was leveled some and had some all terrains but it seemed like it always rode kinda rough even before adding anything to it, does yours have air ride?

·
Registered
998 Posts
My old one was a 14, it was leveled some and had some all terrains but it seemed like it always rode kinda rough even before adding anything to it, does yours have air ride?
Nope, no air-ride on my '17.

Test drove it and a '17 F150 within 15 minutes of each other. The F150 felt tinny and bounced all over the road. The RAM drove more like my wife's Lexus sedan than any pickup Ive ever driven.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Test drove it and a '17 F150 within 15 minutes of each other. The F150 felt tinny and bounced all over the road. The RAM drove more like my wife's Lexus sedan than any pickup Ive ever driven.
I havent drove the new f150, my dad has a 15 silverado 1500 and it rides a lot like his if not a little better, then we also have a 18 chevy malibu and my 19 ram rides nicer and has less road noise then the malibu which seems odd

·
Premium Member
32,560 Posts
My 2016 Ram 1500 feels like a rocking crib that is being moved side to side by someone with poor muscle control
It is stock from the factory, no air ride

Riding on a farm trailer over an uneven field while sitting on a bale of hay would be similar

My 2009 Ram 1500 rode like it was on a billowy cloud

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2016 Ram 1500 feels like a rocking crib that is being moved side to side by someone with poor muscle control
It is stock from the factory, no air ride

Riding on a farm trailer over an uneven field while sitting on a bale of hay would be similar
You my friend mite have a problem somehwere in your truck, by the sounds of it my backhoe rides better

·
Super Moderator
34,218 Posts
Yeah...people have been talking about Hemi tick since 2003 and there's more than a few of them over 300,000 miles-with some over 500,000.

Not saying its not an issue, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect longevity

The new one is amazing so far, rides so much nicer and the engine is quieter and they even managed to make the transmisson shift even smother
You have a new transmission- the 8HP75. It is a 2nd gen 8HP and is supposed to shift faster and be 3% more efficient. It also has a wider range with a lower first gear and taller 8th gear.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Lots of differences in the RAM and F150 suspension.

Leaf springs on the F150 do tend to be bouncy (had one and I could see the bed/tailgate bouncing).

Coil springs on the RAM tend to ride bit smoother....

·
Registered
998 Posts
Lots of differences in the RAM and F150 suspension.

Leaf springs on the F150 do tend to be bouncy (had one and I could see the bed/tailgate bouncing).

Coil springs on the RAM tend to ride bit smoother....
Yes, I knew that. My old truck (Frontier) was also leaf springs.

I know coils provide a better ride but tend to "sag" more with stuff in the bed. Rather have it that way than the other way around (since most of the time my truck bed is empty). Can always add something like Timbren bumpers or Timbergrove airbags to prevent sagging with cargo.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
19 Participants
tidefan1967
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing