DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to reduce or get rid of the dreaded hemi tick?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Does anyone know how to reduce or get rid of the dreaded hemi tick?
Depends on which tick you're talking about. Mine use to do it close to oil change which is when a lifter is not pumping up for 0 lash at start up. When you hear the tick only at start up and it goes away quickly it's definately an mds lifter malfunctioning. It's not going to be the same lifter every time, they take turns, lol! When oil pressure builds up the ticking goes away in this case. Chrysler won't aknowledge this but these mds lifter designs have flaws according to various engine builders. In my case with mds lifters a change to 6.1 lifters is supposed to be a fix so they say, another is a high volume oil pump. I don't see how the high volume oil pump will help if the lifter is bleeding down because of mds malfuntions. It's going to bleed down over night no matter how good of an oil pump you have. I don't know, maybe the high volume pump will pump the malfuntioning lifters up fast enough to not cause ticking. For my next oil change coming up I'm going to try 5W-30 to see if it helps. They say it will interfere with mds but mine is disabled anyway and I don't ever plan on enabling it anymore. If it's a tick you hear all the time there is no easy fix other than changing your lifters to after market or buying 1500 dollar adjustable rocker arms to acheive true 0 lash. Everyday ticking is caused by having too much valve lash, either from cheap or worn out lifters or even from worn rocker tips. That's what makes adjustables so sweet. And don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't use adjustable rockers if you have hydraulic lifters because you can. They are not just for solid lifters and cams, you can use them for both. Hydraulics have 0 lash and solids have different settings for cold and hot. If you don't have mds and your warranty is expired you should try a higher weight oil. The new 392 SRT8's use 5W-40 so I don't see why you couldn't try that especially with high a mileage motor. Like I said, I'm trying 5W-30 in about 500 miles to see if it helps with mine. I haven't heard the cold start ticking yet but I'm sure it's coming, lol! edit: Btw, this will be my first oil change since disabling mds. There's a good chance that I won't hear the ticking because I haven't used mds in a while. Maybe...just maybe I've got the pcm fooled into leaving all four mds cylinders/eight lifters to where they stay pumped up enough even when the oil looses it vicosity. Thinner oil will drain down from the lifters faster (my reason for trying heavier weight oil). Just as thinner oil flows though the enigine more freely, maybe we have a not so stong of oil an pump from the factory to accomodate the thin 5W-20 oil. Which explains why builders say a high volume pump will help solve the ticking, who knows?

·
Registered
145 Posts
i use 5w - 30 and still have the tick at startup..:( Love to get rid of it but learned to live with it..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i use 5w - 30 and still have the tick at startup..:( Love to get rid of it but learned to live with it..
I'm not sure if it's in your budget but maybe you should try a high volume pump then. And thanks for the warning in advance. I guess the 5W-30 is not going to work for me either then. It sure does sound like a case of oil loosing it's viscosity in my case since it does it close to oil change only. I'm sure that after a while the mds lifters will wear enough to do it in more frequent start ups. I'm not looking forward to that one, I hope to have this motor changed out long before that happens. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone ever try any of those oil additives?? Just shooting ideas out there.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I got rid of mine when I swapped out the cam. I believe the longer 6.1 pushrods did the trick.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I have/had the Hemi tick on all my Rams. The 04 and 08 were 2500 HD Rams, so no MDS. The ticked louder than my current Ram with MDS lifters. I've only come across 2 Hemis that did not tick, and both ended up in the shop for major engine work. Both ticked after that....and proved to be very reliable.

I like the tick.....to me it means 'Healthy Motor'. :)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have/had the Hemi tick on all my Rams. The 04 and 08 were 2500 HD Rams, so no MDS. The ticked louder than my current Ram with MDS lifters. I've only come across 2 Hemis that did not tick, and both ended up in the shop for major engine work. Both ticked after that....and proved to be very reliable.

I like the tick.....to me it means 'Healthy Motor'. :)

lol mine ticks badly in the morning when its warming up! but hey like Brad said, healthy motor ftw!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use 5W30 minimizes it but still loud at cold start and hear it clearer right around 3000 on the oil change... Kinda like a reminder lol but its cool... Lets see Ford and Chevy duplicate that!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I got rid of mine when I swapped out the cam. I believe the longer 6.1 pushrods did the trick.
Could it be that you swapped out the lifters as the reason or did you swap them out as well? Higher cam specs do not warrant longer push rods. I would think that if your new push rods are longer its because of a shorter plunger valve in the new lifters. If you used the same lifters it would be next to impossible to keep the engine running with longer than spec push rods...valve lash would be too tight. I know that Gen 111 Hemis do not have adjustable rockers from the factory. That said, if you were using adjustables the engine would try to die at idle when you over tighten just one rocker. (you're bringing the engine to it's knees) To adjust hydraulic rockers you loosen them till they start tapping then you tighten them back down till they stop, then you back them off a 1/4 turn. If you tighten them a 1/4 instead of loosening them a 1/4 the engine would most likely die before you got past your second rocker. So my guess for the longer pushrods is because of the shorter plunger or lifter height otherwise longer pushrods would not work. I'm not trying to be a tech a$$ here, I'm just trying to figure out (in my mind, not yours because you may have a different opp) if the change of lifters were the main reason for your ticking to go away. According to every peputable engine builder I've spoken with, the poorly designed 5.7 mds lifters are the reason for the ticking. Thanks for listening, Jerry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would Lucas oil or higher octane fuel make a difference?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The tick at warm engine idle in my one month old 2011 is driving me crazy. Starting to wonder if I made the best decision but the truck works so good, just wish I could get rid of this so called normal tick. It is unaceptable to me in a new truck.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
It's all perspective -

I want a big subwoofer, but don't want the bass
I want a 93 Octane tune, but don't want to buy the expensive 93 octane fuel.
I want a big wide tires inside the fenders, but don't want the rub.
I want a 5th wheel trailer, but don't want to loose and room in the box.
I want a shorty antenna, but don't want to loose any signal strength.
I want smoked tail lights, but don't want them to affect the light output.
I want a super charger, but don't want to loose my engine warranty.
I want a Hemi, but don't want the tick.

Perspective..... :4-dontknow:

I want all of the above....but don't want to pay for it. :D

6 years ago, a good friend of mine bought a 04 Ram Hemi, and complained profusely about the 'tick'. A year later, I told him to 'Buy a Ford or Chevy', then the tick would be gone. The only thing he would have to sacrifice is -
Quality of Ride
Handling
Power
Comfort
Looks

and he could get all this for only $10K more! :smileup:

He still has his ticking 04 Ram Hemi with over 200K on it, and has done nothing other than basic maintenance and fix broken wires between the A pillar and drivers door. Funny thing...he doesn't even notice the ticking any more....I do! :LOL:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
lmao Brad thats a good way to look at it, and yet there is humor behind it! good story!!! hahahahahahah

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm with ya 954rrmike. I also have a 2011 Ram with the hemi and it ticks after it warms up to running temp. It wouldn't bother me so bad if all the lifters ticked but it sounds like one lifter not even trying to pump up. Mine is loud enough you can here it at a stop light coming from the passenger side. I only have 2000 miles on it. It is annoying me to death. I also have another 2011 Ram with the hemi in it sitting in my driveway and it is very quiet. So I don't know what to think anymore.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My 08 has that dam ticking also. But mine will even do it at low rpm while cruising. its annoying as hell. I noticed it alot more when i installed my BFI intake since the engine cover is removed. does any one elses do it while they are driving, even after its warmed up.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I don't know if mines a hemi tick, say when idling.

It sounds like a valve it opening/closing roughly every 30 seconds. You can hear it say when your in a drive threw or standing beside her when the hoods open.

I am not to concerned just wondering if anyone has ideas? It really does sound just like a valve flapping back and forth, or a relay opening/closing.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I know what your referring to, but have no idea what it is...never thought to look. :LOL:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine only does it when I ride my bike to work for a few days and then I fire it up after sitting for that time. Every Ram with a HEMI I have owned has done this and I "taps on glass to cover my a%$!" never have I had an issue involving this. Put a louder muffler on it, it will go away. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie as of today, thought I would share my story. I have a 2004 1500 Hemi sport truck. It just turned 160,000 miles changed the oil with Mobil 1 as I have been doing every 5000 miles at 161K my engine started tapping like crazy (stuck lifter) I always thought I had an exhaust leak due to the fluttering sound I have been hearing for awhile (maybe 30,000 plus miles) did some research and did the following steps: poured in 1 can of Rislone and 1 bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil, drove the truck for 100 miles poured in one can of seafoam drove truck for 50 miles poured in 1 qt. of transmission fluid (my truck was almost 1 qt. low of oil before I started the process) drove the truck for 150 miles, bought a can of engine flush, poured that in and let the truck idle for 5 min. drained all out, put in 6 qts. new Shell Rotella 15/40 oil new filter and 1 bottle MMO, 2/3 bottle seafoam in engine rest in fuel tank. Started truck up and was sad to hear no change in the loud lifter noise, drove the truck for about 200 more miles and much to my surprise not only has the loud tapping noise gone away but the noise that I thought was an exhaust leak is gone as well, turns out the lifters have been sticking for quite some time. My truck runs like new, quiet, all power is back, sounds like a hybrid when idling (not really, but very quiet) it is amazing how great this thing runs, I have added more seafoam to the engine and gas, also MMO in the gas, and only using premium gas it's been 2000 miles since the oil change and this truck runs so nice, I just thought I would share this with you fellow Dodge Hemi owners in case someone out there was having a problem like this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts