DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99, 5.9 litre. She has 80,000 k on the motor and 230,000 on the body. We knew we needed a catalytic converter. We had rattling for about 2 years then when driving home from vacation she started to stumble when we stepped on it. She also would stumble uphill. So we changed the catalytic converter. When we got her back she started to miss, had poor gas mileage, engine light when on with the cylinder 7 missing. We took her to our mechanic. He checked her over and said it felt like she was missing and they replaced the spark plugs (they were original) Checked her all over and let us go. Couple days later she is hesitating and having poor gas mileage. This time we take her to Dodge. They went over her and cleaned the throttle body and replace the spark plugs, checker her over and sent us on our way. Then a couple days later she started up again. This time we went back to our mechanic, He cleaned the throttle body again, and replaced the temperature sensor for the computer, looked for a vacuum leak. Nothing. We were driving away and she starting acting up a block away. The mechanic this time kept her for a week. He was not able to get her to do anything. Then we talked to people and decided to replace the Throttle position sensor and the idle control unit. We drove away and she was good for a week. Here are the symptoms. When you start her when she is cold and just take off, she will go a block and if you have to stop she will start to gurgle like she wants to stall. If you put her into park and rev it up, it does nothing to help her. Once you leave from the stop she will hesitate to the point you may miss your light. The she will take off. IT will last about 3 blocks then she will be good for the rest of the time you are using her. If you start her in the morning and let her idle in the driveway she will start to gurgle and you can hear air moving hard around the engine. She won't stall. Sometimes she will surge on you to the point that 2 feet on the bark will barely hold her back. It can be dangerous. We think temperature is involved. This last week it was blow freezing and she was great. Today it warmed up to above freezing and she started to hesitate again. Gas mileage is better, since all the repairs. So we are just throwing money at her and so far no one knows what is wrong. She is a great truck in great shape. Please help us figure out is going on. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
addtional

I should mention that we have heard 3 small back fires??? Under the drivers feet more toward the motor. Small explosions???? And sorry Dodge did the plug wires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sometimes she will surge on you to the point that 2 feet on the bark will barely hold her back. It can be dangerous.
The engine revving like that could be a stuck throttle cable or a bad Idle Air Control unit. I'd check the cable to make sure it's moving freely and maybe pull the IAC and give it a good cleaning. It might be worth disconnecting the IAC and see if that has any effect on the problems you are having.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would start by checking the fuel pressure.. Make sure its in spec.

Then if that checks out look at the crank sensor. They don't like to throw a code when they should...

Throttle position sensor as well may be worth looking into as if the truck doesn't know what position the throttle is in it could be running either to rich or lean for its needs. The sensor could be faulting intermediatly...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had similar issues to this not on my dodge but on my 97 Yukon. First time it was the fusible link from battery to alternator sometimes it would run fine other times it would feel like a miss and would just die whenever it felt like it but start right back up a few months later it was the fuel pump. Truck had 92k when I had both issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still up to it

So we just had a week of freezing followed by a week above freezing. The truck never acted up when it was freezing. Now that it is above freezing its back. When I said gurgling I meant the gurgling you get when she wants to stall.

We have fixed and installed new

Computer temperature sensor
plugs and wires
cleaned the throttle body
idle air control
Throttle position sensor
updated the computer software

It only does this in the first 5-10 minutes after starting from cold.

Today it surged, hesitated, and back fired out through the tail pipe. Not loud. Thanks for the suggestions.

We are now going to replace the other temperature sensor and the crank sensor.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Computer air temp sensor? Is that the one behind altrenaror or behind bumper? I know the air intake temperature sensor is in cylinder 2 intake rail behind altrenaror. Is that the one you did or are going to do? And have never done crank sensor hear it a pain. But it doesn't hurt at this point.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I like Spike753. Check the fuel pressure. Spec is 45-55. It will start and run as low as 18-25 (this I know!) but NOT well. A "fading" pump that runs worse as it warms COULD fit the symptoms. Just a theory, never change something that expensive without testing first. If this is the culprit, go on Amazon and buy the Delphi unit for the same price you would pay for the crappy Airtex unit from Autozone. I'm all about trying to save members money on parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.