DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought a 2011 ram2500 about 3 months back and been having a issue with it random missfire and really bad hesitation issue. I know these trucks had Cam issues for this year but I have pulled the valve covers and seems that all the pushrods are moving sufficiently and doesn’t have any play on the rockers. I took it to a shop and they said the random missfire jumps fro cylinder to cylinder that it’s not a single two cylinders that keep doing it. I’ve changed just about everything that I could change electronically on the motor from MAP sensor, throttle body, cam position sensor, new plugs and coil packs, and all 4 O2 sensors. The shop said I have enough fuel pressure so wouldn’t be a pump and my oil pressure usually runs around 50 PSI hot or cold. Could this still be a cam issue even though they seem like they have the correct travel or is it something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As info it goes to the Dealer next Thursday to see what they can find.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
If it were the cam then you'd notice with the valve covers off

·
Registered
335 Posts
Theres alot of things that can cause this - is your truck more-or-less stock? Did they tell you what codes it was giving - and do you know if your check engine light was steady or flashing?

I’ve changed just about everything that I could change electronically on the motor
There is a relearn procedure that that must be performed immediately after replacing the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors, or anything mechanical with the engine itself or you'll have a horrific misfire.

Something might be up with your oil pressure sending unit but its a completely separate issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea trucks is basically stock besides upgraded air filter. What relearn procedure is needed? Didn’t know anything about that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Any time the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft postion sensor, or anything mechanical with the engine's valvetrain is changed or replaced, the dealership needs to perform a "cam/crank variation relearn" so that the PCM is made aware of those changes. Otherwise it will interpret the behavioral differences in the new vs the old sensor as something that the engine is doing, and respond inappropriately.

If those sensors were changed at a dealership, they performed this procedure and you're fine.

Can you tell us what codes you're getting? Theres alot of different directions this can take us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only code showing at the moment is p0030. Dealer I went to today claims it’s a sticky lifter. Just doesn’t seem right to me. And I never had it reflashed when I changed the crank sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so after another month of running the truck, less than 500 miles I got 5 codes again on my check engine light. The codes are P2173, p2097, p2099, p0113 and p0300. Idea what could be causing this.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
P2173 Throttle Actuator Control System - High Air Flow Detected
P2173 DODGE High Air Flow - Vacuum Leak Detected - Slow ...

P2097 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 1

P2099 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 2

P0113 Dodge Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 ... - Engine-Codes.com
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

https://www.autocodes.com/p0300_dodge.html
Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are commonly caused by ......

·
Registered
335 Posts
Many of the higher numbered or lettered trouble codes (P2xxx for example) are reserved for use by the manufacturer, and thus differ from the OBDII standard - hence why I like to refer to the service manual for these types of issues. In this case its about matches up, but it wont always be the case:

**P2173 = high airflow/vaccum leak detected w/ slow accumulation (in english: PCM noticed a steady/slow - as opposed to a sudden - deviation between its calculated barometric pressure reading and the reading reported by the MAP sensor)

P2097 + P2099 = Downstream rich (in english: oxygen sensor located after the catalytic converter detect a rich mixture)

P0300 = multiple cylinder misfire

**P0113 = IAT sensor 1 circuit high (in english: the IAT sensor failed the 'sanity check' the PCM performs on startup)

The ones I marked in stars are the possible culprits. This engine relies almost entirely on the MAP and IAT sensors to calculate proper mixture, so without sane outputs from those two, the PCM has absolutely no idea whats going on, and thus the engine runs like crap.

Heres how I would approach it:

- Do what GTYankee said, check for vacuum leaks. These would likely be around the edges of the manifold and throttle body. I would take the intake snorkel off, leaving the IAT plugged in (but be careful not to stress the wires!), get some soapy water in a little sprayer, then as the engine is running, spray around the perimeter of the manifold, then around the base of the throttle body. Give it a couple seconds then see if and bubbles start to grow.

Older folks would use starting fluid instead of soapy water, and listen for a change in engine RPM (since the fuel would be introduced into the engine through the site of the leak). I wouldn't recommend that way, because you dont have the intake to protect you if the engine backfires, and getting it too close to the exhaust manifolds can start a fire.

Its very easy to overtighten the bolts for the throttle body and crack the intake manifold, so pay particular attention around that area.

If there are no leaks, go to the IAT sensor:
- Confirm that the wiring is good. Take the connector off the sensor, then check for a 5v reference when the ignition is on. It shouldbe pretty damn close to 5.00 volts. If you have that, I would go ahead and replace the sensor.

If you dont have 5v, let us know because thats a whole other mess...

Depending on how long the truck was running in that state, you may need new oxygen sensors as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok did a check on the voltage and had a constant 5v to the sensor. So checked to see if I had any vacuum leaks and couldn’t get any change in RPMs when doing so so I believe I have no issues there. Now here comes the wild thing. On my way to get a new Intake Temperature sensor all the check engine lights disappeared. I bought the sensor any way to try it, for the price it couldn’t hurt. Question since I am getting so many random codes at one time could it be my PCM malfunctioning?

·
Registered
335 Posts
The codes you're getting aren't random: the multiple misfire and rich conditions are the result of either a failing IAT sensor (P0113), or something that would gradually affect the MAP sensor's readings (P2173). Because you don't have an intake leak, I have my fingers crossed that its simply a failing IAT sensor. These sensors can be intermittent when they start to die.

I should of also mentioned that if you had an *active* P2173, your ETC light would be flashing (the little lightning bolt thing). When you're reading your codes, anything with "PD" next to it means the code was tripped, but has returned to normal.

If replacing the IAT sensor does not correct your misfire, I would suspect a wiring issue somewhere (MAP and IAT in particular), an issue with the battery, or maybe even the connections to the PCM. Its always a pain blindly troubleshooting intermittent electrical problems on chryslers...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Ok so I went against all odds and had the dealer put a new PCM in the truck just to see what it would do. Well I put it in the truck and they reflashed it. They told me I was good to go but when i tried to leave the truck would shut off almost immediately after putting it into gear. The truck would start back up and you could rev it normally aslong as you was in park or neutral. Soon as you put it back in gear it would shut off again. Well after about an hr of them trying to figure what was wrong they told me they would half to diagnose what he issue was to try to make it run again. Needless to say I drove the truck there with the original PCM. Well I figured it wouldn’t do me any good by putting the old one back in the truck so they started to diagnose the issue. Well 3 weeks has passed now with no solutions to why it won’t run in gear now. They have had multiple techs checking it out and none can figure it out. Bad thing is no check engine codes come up to try to help the situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts