DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 1500 with the hemi has a lag when I step down light on the gas. I am using 89 octane. anybody elts have this problem? I'm thinking I just need to break the engine in, it has 600 miles on it now. any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I thought the same thing with mine when it was new, got 3k on it now, but it turned out to be the MDS. you can see for yourself if it is by following the instructions found in this thread (which is what I did) http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68179 If you step down on it a bit harder does it pick up better? Or does it still do it? The other thing is I never use higher octane gas myself just because it sits so long due to high fuel costs people dont buy it and therefore it would make sense that it sits longer in the tanks (just my .02 cents tho)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will try it, about the gas, I drove a gas tanker for years, at one time there were 3 tanks in the ground for the 3 differnt grades. now most stations have blending pumps. when you buy midgrade it will draw from the 93 and the 87 and blend them togather to get the 89. I don't realy like buying the higher price gas eather, but I will be towing my 32' camper and my manual says 89 is preferred. funny, my son has a 2005 hemi and his uses 87. go figure....

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have never been a huge fan of paying higher prices for higher octane fuel unless it was in a high performance situation. I used octane booster in my stroked Harleys for years instead of using the 93 fuel. I towed my 33 foot tag from Maine to Florida an back Many times with my 04 1500 4.7 and never used anything higher than 87. I had k/n CAI, Gibson catback duals with dual rear side exit, and Hellwig helper springs that didnt come into play until you put a load on them so it didnt affect the ride. It was a great package for towing. Lot of torque and no issues ever except poor mileage. Best I got I think was like 12 towing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see we think a bit alike. I have on order the AIR LIFT 1000 bags for the coils, they will restore the factory ride hight when towing. along with the load bars. I am quite confident this will be a good set up. my old truck was a f-350 it did the job fine. but I decided to try Dodge this time, the last two new fords I bought let me down with too many stupid problems. I don't buy a pickup to get good mileage, I just need it to do the job I want it to do.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I see we think a bit alike. I have on order the AIR LIFT 1000 bags for the coils, they will restore the factory ride hight when towing. along with the load bars. I am quite confident this will be a good set up. my old truck was a f-350 it did the job fine. but I decided to try Dodge this time, the last two new fords I bought let me down with too many stupid problems. I don't buy a pickup to get good mileage, I just need it to do the job I want it to do.
My sentiments exactly Tom, you buy a truck for the job you need done. :)

G

·
Same hesitation problem on my 2012

Hey Tom, thanks for posting this. As I write this my brand new 2012 1500 is back at the dealership (800 miles on it) in the service department. I swore something was wrong with it. When I'm cruising (1000-1500 rpm's) and I press down gently on the accelerator in order to speed up, nothing happens. In fact, sometimes the rpm's drop a little bit. And then when I keep pressing the accelerator more and more it eventually downshifts and the rpm's jump up into the 2000's.

The service department called and said that this is normal. I'm panicked, thinking I have a lemon. My friend's 2011 (exact same truck) doesn't do this. Now, his truck must have the MDS too, right? Is it just because his truck is broken in that it reacts differently?

After reading this post I'm just about prepared to admit that there is nothing wrong with my truck and that this is just the way it is; but damn, what was Dodge thinking? Maybe mine reacts worse than others... but it's downright awful. When I press down on the gas to speed up, it means I want to speed up... I don't want it to try to speed up, cough, drop rpm's, and then <eventually> gun itself.

If anyone has any words of encouragement that this "normal" behavior gets better as the engine is broken in, I would truly appreciate it. It seems a real pity to 'trick' the vehicle out of MDS mode in order to simply get a truck that drives smoothly.

Ben

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The pcm's are "adaptive", meaning they "learn" driving habits. If you drive easy like a "grandma" for a while then give it gas suddenly, it won't react sharply. If you just drive it a bit aggressively it will probably respond more to your liking. Sometimes it gets annoying because I'll drive easy to and from work then step on it randomly and it won't even downshift and will sort of bog down.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The pcm's are "adaptive", meaning they "learn" driving habits. If you drive easy like a "grandma" for a while then give it gas suddenly, it won't react sharply. If you just drive it a bit aggressively it will probably respond more to your liking. Sometimes it gets annoying because I'll drive easy to and from work then step on it randomly and it won't even downshift and will sort of bog down.
This is very true, I have been easy on my truck for the first 500 miles, and it's used to the babying. One thing I learned a long time ago (this isn't a new deal) is to reset the learning curve the PCM and ECM go through. They adapt to the driving style of the individual. So... what I have done is to remove the negative cable from the battery, leave it for 15 minutes or so, hook it back up and put her through the paces... as you would normally drive it.

My wife's little R/T really flies, but after she putts around and I hop in the darn thing is confused about shift points and such... My Dakota (97) had to be reset when I move from the coast (sea level) to the interior, about 1500 ft change in elevation... it pinged like crazy. Disconnected the battery, reset the ECM RAM and it improved considerably.

I suppose it's easier than a jet change in a carburetor, and changing the throttle pressure HA!

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i have never had anything like this happen on my truck, when i mash on the pedal, my truck just takes off, regardless of the speed i am at.

·
Registered
182 Posts
my truck does the same thing. (2012 express).

The fuel grade doesn't have anything to do with it.

-jp

·
Registered
124 Posts
I get the same thing, and am assuming that it is normal. I have always filled up with mid-grade fuel. It looks like the guys reporting this as not normal are driving the 2011's that don't have the newer transmission. I would say the jumpy RPM's could be a fuel saver technology that is kicking in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine was doing it as well. I added a K&N air filter and drove it pretty hard (lots of full throttle starts upto 60) and just now with the roads a little wet I got it to spin the tires all the way through 2nd gear with tow mode on and esp off. I will see how it drives under normal driving in the next day or so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2012 Hemi did the same thing until I got about 3000 miles on it. The tech at the dealer ship told me if I wanted to prevent this lag just turn on the Tow/Haul and it will not lag at all and when done passing or whatever you are doing just turn it back off. I hope this helps !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sometimes I wonder why RAM would put something like this out there, are they thinking we wouldnt notice the lag in trans?

·
Registered
354 Posts
No lag on mine at all, no tick either. Can't even tell when she cycles between 8 and eco 4 modes unless you watch the EVIC. Touch the go pedal and ECO light instantly goes off, ease up and its on again. Start going uphill and ECO goes off, downhill and its back on again. Level cruise at constant speed is all ECO. No response lags that I can feel. Only got 100 miles on her though and still using the dealers first tank of gas. Showing 14.5 mpg and its all just around town, stop and go.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
OK ...I been watching this thread and thought I would add a little input...I tried a couple things. If I am going up the hill heading out of my town, (which I have to do in all directions since my town could be called a hollow..lol), I push lightly on the throttle and it will lag a bit...If I push it a bit harder it kicks down and goes...If I mash down on the throttle (as someone said previously) it responds immediately. I did this in several modes to see what happens..right in drive and everything engaged like TC, MDS, etc....it does all that was described. When I put it down in 5 so I am not utilizing the MDS it does not lag. When I engage tow/haul it does not lag. Sooo..I am guessing it is alot to do with it being the MDS. I have not unhooked my battery and tried driving it like I used to my old 70 Charger, or my 70 Sport satelite, but I am not sure that is an option since almost all of my driving habits are civilized unless I need to do an aggressive move for safety reasons or something like that (a car appearing when passing in a tough area, my 8 yo Grandson goating me into a tire spin, or something of that nature) in which case I just "mash the pedal " and that lag problem goes out the window. :) just my .02 cents

·
Registered
398 Posts
I feel a hesitation compared to any other vehicle I have owned or driven.
I have tried turning off TC, using Tow Haul, and turning off MDS.
I still think it is there to a certain degree.
I wonder if it is the throttle by wire system.
I remember marvelling at the instant throttle response with my first fuel injected car back in 1986.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts