DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have not been on in a while and noticed a couple people trying to offer me a hand on my post from a while back, so I'm back again and still have the same issue I've read the other posts and trying to figure out where to start as far as repairs or even a diagnostics I have taken my truck to a dodge dealership and they told me nothing was wrong with my truck which makes it frustrating because I know there is so anyway heres issue I am having. In the morning the first start of the day it always starts right up with on a few occasions it just clicks like the battery is dead but when you try again it fires right up, but EVERY DAY I start my truck in the morning I drive roughly 30 miles to work and i shut the truck off then it sits for 30-45 minutes and I go back to get in my truck after our safety meeting and go to start it and it either turns over and over then eventually starts or it turns over but acts like it's either starving for fuel or flooding out like it just cant catch its firing but missing, but the rest of the day if it's still hot like say for instance stopping for fuel itll fire right up or if you let it cool off completely itll start back up but in between it does what I mentioned above every time, the truck has 140k miles but at 130k it had motor replaced with a 70k mile motor I didn't have the money to pay the difference for the new motor and what the warranty would pay. So with all this said my warranty has since ran out and I haven't even had the truck a year! It has had this problem since I have had it. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but my gas cap messaged appeared the other day and the gas cap was on which was weird but anyway thanks in advance for any help or advice! Have a blessed day!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't think the gas cap issue would cause the lack of starting. I would be curious to know what the fuel pressure was when this occurs. If you have a obd scan tool that reads live data you may could monitor it while starting not sure if the truck supports this feature. If not you would have to connect a gauge on the fuel rail and check it that way.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
It should still start with the gas cap, just throw a code and a light

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator issue. I have a 98 cherokee that has a fuel pressure regulator, drain back valve, and filter assembly in one unit(not sure if the trucks use a similar item) and when it starts to die it acts similar to what you are describing. The quick way to check is to turn the key to on (but do not crank engine ) till the fuel pump stops, wait a few seconds turn key to off , then try to start the engine and see if this helps your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator issue. I have a 98 cherokee that has a fuel pressure regulator, drain back valve, and filter assembly in one unit(not sure if the trucks use a similar item) and when it starts to die it acts similar to what you are describing. The quick way to check is to turn the key to on (but do not crank engine ) till the fuel pump stops, wait a few seconds turn key to off , then try to start the engine and see if this helps your problem.
I have cycled the key several times to see if that helped but it still does the same thing could this be an injector problem possibly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand it could be a number of things I'm just curious if it's a sensor (5.7l hemi doesnt have a throttle position sensor) I guess I'll just pick a spot and start replacing lol from other stuff I have read it could also be a bad coil? Thanks for yalls feedback!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand it could be a number of things I'm just curious if it's a sensor (5.7l hemi doesnt have a throttle position sensor) I guess I'll just pick a spot and start replacing lol from other stuff I have read it could also be a bad coil? Thanks for yalls feedback!
The crank shaft position sensor and/or cam shaft position sensor tells the PCM it's in the correct spot when you start up.....These 2 sensors on 5.7L engines are a magnetic sensor and when you shut your vehicle off and the cam and crank are not in a recognized position this will occur.....Also these 2 sensors get dirty and cannot sense where the position is.....This will not through a code. This should be the first thing you check.....Next whoever posted a leaky injector was correct and that will cause a hesitant start....Your computer needs this to happen 2 times in row for a code to show up....Even a misfire needs to happen twice for a code to show......You can check all the coil packs before spending the money and ya might as well put plugs in and be done with it.....Injectors are an easy fix along with coil packs just a little costly.....Start with the crank shaft position sensor and cam shaft position sensor...You can clean them but they're pretty cheap....Also the ethanol used in fuel becomes a big factor too....If you need coil packs stick with OEM Mopar.....Good luck..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts