DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For now I wont reveal the company I am dealing with until this is settled.

The issue... Installed HID setup back in September. In October for no apparent reason one side started not working off and on. Let me first state for the record. I am 47 years old I have been working on cars and trucks since I was in my teens. I have no problem working on any aspect of a vehicle. I have been working on computers for 14 years. I am no dummy. I went back and fourth with the company via email explaining and troubleshooting the problem. They finally told me to send in the ballast for testing. They sent it back stating it worked 100% in their tests. I reinstalled the ballast and it still does not work! Both bulbs work on the side with the known working ballast. So it is NOT the bulbs! Moved the known working ballast side to side, both bulbs work so wiring must be good. Moved this ballast side to side, it does not work on either side. Bottom line, known good ballast works on both sides with both bulbs. This ballast DOES NOT WORK on either side with either bulb!!! Where do I go from here???????

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE

I posted this right after I emailed them. I do have to say this they have been real fast with replying to me. here is a quote from their response.

"For the ballast not to work on your side, but work for us in all tests, completed 3 times over 3 consecutive days really does not add up one way or another. The whole reason to test more than once on our end is specifically to be sure we do not miss anything, doing something ridiculous on our end. Surely you would agree that it does not stand to reason to work in testing but not when you have it on the vehicle? We would welcome you to test directly off the vehicle battery to confirm the most basic of operation testing for yourself if you would like some assurance we are not trying to waste your time.
With the ballast installed, reverse the polarity of the plug into the ballast socket and test it again with a bulb connected there. If it does not work in reverse polarity, if it is tripped up, it will reset it anyway. Then swap polarity back if it does not turn on completely in the reverse polarity and try it again. If it still does not work there, we'll send another ballast and relay controller there and return label to you to take care of it ASAP. The relay controller as just precautionary item in case there is some
Once again, we are very sorry for all your troubles but will help you get this taken care of!"

I had already tried this and have and replied as such. Now I wait to see if they send me a new ballast.

I will add the positive wire in the harness is on the positive side of the battery and the negative wires with the resistors on it is direct to the negative side of the battery and has been since install.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That sounds like good troubleshooting advice to me. I know it's a pain in the a$$ (I had similar issues with mine initially) but the HID's are worth it in the end, IMHO. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like good troubleshooting advice to me. I know it's a pain in the a$$ (I had similar issues with mine initially) but the HID's are worth it in the end, IMHO. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
What has me frustrated about all this is, I had already done all the troubleshooting before I contacted them. They tell me to try this and try that which I had already done. Finally they tell me send it in and we'll test it. I send it, they test it, say it works 100% and send it back. I reinstall and it still doesn't work. They suggest more troubleshooting which I had already done but didn't tell them just to see what they say. Now they're sending me a new one and a relay. If I cant get to work I'm ripping it all out and sending it back.

If in fact it is working 100% as they say, can anyone tell me why the other ballast works on both sides with both bulbs and this one doesn't work on either side with either bulb?

·
Banned
3 Posts
would have to be a bad ballast if it the other ballast works on both sides and the bad one doesn't work at all bad ballast have installed around 200 hid kits and have had bad ballasts right out of the box so it is not uncommon if they don't send you a new ballast let me know i have a couple that are new and i know are good and it wont be the relay as the other ballast works on both sides

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They sent me a new ballast and they're sending a new relay. I put the ballast in yesterday and everything is working fine now. :smileup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
What has me frustrated about all this is, I had already done all the troubleshooting before I contacted them. They tell me to try this and try that which I had already done. Finally they tell me send it in and we'll test it. I send it, they test it, say it works 100% and send it back. I reinstall and it still doesn't work. They suggest more troubleshooting which I had already done but didn't tell them just to see what they say. Now they're sending me a new one and a relay. If I cant get to work I'm ripping it all out and sending it back.

If in fact it is working 100% as they say, can anyone tell me why the other ballast works on both sides with both bulbs and this one doesn't work on either side with either bulb?

well i have an 06 ram 1500 and i ordered a kit and they said i needed a canceler, witch i bought with the kit, then installed lights work both ways with canceler installed and not installed with truck off lights work but not bright, when i start the truck lights flicker, how can i resolve this problem, they sent me 2 brand new ballasts saying that was the problem, they refunded my money and let me keep everything so im looking to make my free HID kit work any ideas

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Yeah sometime it's hit or miss, I had one slowly on it's way out and it seemed to do the similar thing as u mentioned! Glad it worked out for u!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i have an 06 ram 1500 and i ordered a kit and they said i needed a canceler, witch i bought with the kit, then installed lights work both ways with canceler installed and not installed with truck off lights work but not bright, when i start the truck lights flicker, how can i resolve this problem, they sent me 2 brand new ballasts saying that was the problem, they refunded my money and let me keep everything so im looking to make my free HID kit work any ideas
Not sure how to help with your situation so hopefully this helps. I think mine came with the cancelers ( they look like solid metal resisters ) built into the ground wires. Mine are strait to the negative post on the battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
let me guess, was this Hidextra.com? I've had nothing but problems with their kits. I replaced my bulbs x6 times before the 1yr warranty expired. Now, im SOL. The fogs finally went this week. HID are awesome and i dont want to go back, but $200 for kit every 1-2 years is not cool. I thought HID were suppose to be better than halogens..

anyone have a reputable company to deal with? I would rather spend more money now for kits that actually last longer than my tires.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
let me guess, was this Hidextra.com? I've had nothing but problems with their kits. I replaced my bulbs x6 times before the 1yr warranty expired. Now, im SOL. The fogs finally went this week. HID are awesome and i dont want to go back, but $200 for kit every 1-2 years is not cool. I thought HID were suppose to be better than halogens..

anyone have a reputable company to deal with? I would rather spend more money now for kits that actually last longer than my tires.
Actually no it is retro solutions. $185 shipped.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a bummer to hear that, I was about to order a set through retro solutions... I wondered how their "lifetime" warranty.

We got it ironed out. They sent a new ballast and its working now. They sent me a pic of two relays and asked which one I had. I replied last night and just got the email saying it's on the way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have 35w now and they are bright. My concern with 55w was the power draw and the tcim. I bet the 55w are crazy bright. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to Hi-Jack a thread but I am having a weird situation with my headlights too.....My truck had HID's on it and I have to take them out for an inspection so when I did.....the passenger light won't work.....the brights work on both but the one won't work on normal.....any ideas???

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried swapping the bulbs side to side to see if its the bulb? If its not the bulb it could be a connection issue. Check all connections and attached wires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts