DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so the good news was the kit arrived a day earlier than expected, and it appears I ordered an additional relay loom (not knowing the kit came with one).
The kit - a Digital HID 35W, 5000K from Retro-Solutions. I have the quad headlamps and decided just to do the low beam for now. My skill level - not a pro but pretty darned good all rounder. Took time and trouble to read all the forum posts and then did it...and it was all fine, cutting the holes, wiring the harness in, etc....and at switch on both lights came on and were aimed pretty near perfect (I took photos of the stock ones before at a set distance from the garage door and repeated after to check) - like the color and then..... I started the engine......got the dreaded flicker issue.:doh: The issue seems to be with the relay which can be heard buzzing (so is turning on and off rapidly ) The harness has the capacitor which I cut out to check it wasn't that. I checked (and reversed the polarity of the relay input from the OEM HL). The grounds are all factory mounting points (but that doesn't appear to be a problem anyway as the ballasts get power just fine on the ground side, it's the +ve that's pulsing due to the relay. Haven't contacted supplier yet (heard Customer Service is pretty good) as it's a bit late. I thought the relay/harness was supposed to prevent this, Oh well, back to stock tomorrow if I can't solve it during the day.

·
Registered
738 Posts
this is a COMMON issue, I encountered this on my first set, lucky for me my vendor is my buddy. I had the same experience, they turned on great and worked properly when the truck wasn't on, but the minute i fired up the truck the dreaded flicker.

you need to ask for "Can bus ballasts"

I have to take mine out tomorrow for some headlamp warranty issues, so I will take a pic and show you what they look like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LC Hauler.....the kit is supposed to be specifically for a 2009+ Ram (and they have been CAN since before then) so I was a little surprised. I've heard about the CAN bus error eliminator and people using 55W kits (can't see how that could possibly help) - but interested to see what you have there.

·
Registered
738 Posts
mine are a 35W can bus ballasts, they have the eliminator built in, I'm going to install the new ballasts into my challenger in the weekend to eliminate the harness that came with that kit.

good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I did get a reply from Retro-solutions today but to be honest it was kind of implying i hadn't reversed the polarity of the OEM connector......despite explaining that in my email. They are committed to helping me resolve the issue but seem to be relying on the capacitor being at fault. I think a ballast with eliminators built in might be a neater solution....I'm back to stock for now at least.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My HiD extra get is starting to flicker a few times when I first turn them on. I have a relay and it was buzzing really loud and then it stopped. I'm sure I broke it lol. I don't know what I can do if it gets bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well today I received the (very quickly shipped) replacement capacitor. Upon fitting the problem is resolved - so it was a dud capacitor. I knew the grounds were fine as they were the factory ones. Also I haven't seen the TPMS issue some have reported (I did prior to the new capacitor - even without the engine running) - now it is all fine. I have of course relocated the ballasts to a different location though which may account for it. I fitted them on top of the plastic headlamp housing (easy to drill with a 90 deg drill thingy) and makes cable routing a breeze. This is essentially on top of the headlamp (not quite) and under the fender on the inboard side. Anyhow - works for me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My HiD extra get is starting to flicker a few times when I first turn them on. I have a relay and it was buzzing really loud and then it stopped. I'm sure I broke it lol. I don't know what I can do if it gets bad.
If the relay is buzzing it is as jramlvr said - either a bad capacitor or a bad ground (for the capacitor). I would recommend using the factory grounds - this is pretty easy to get to on the drivers side (just by the TIPM) but needs the ground cable extending (on my kit anyway) for the passenger side which is almost at the bulkhead/firewall. Other than that you have to drill away and expose the metal.....not happening for me on a 2012......even with dielectric grease etc.....

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
try it without the relay to see what it does, if it work send them back or find was wrong with them

mine (from hidextra)work just fine with only the capacitor, im runnig 55w for all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts