DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know that a lot of people have said bad things about DDM and I took the risk. Now I am thinking I screwed up. Anyways I have got a 2011 with quad lights and my drivers side low side doesn't come on some times. Sometimes it will come on when I unlock the doors and then it will go out when I start the truck. Sometimes it comes on and stays on. And sometimes it never comes on. The ballast is making a humming noise so I don't know if it may be the ballast, but it has always made the humming noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as how I am going to be leaving Saturday to drive 6 hours out of sate and then be on nights for a month.

Thanks, philpott50

·
Banned
265 Posts
First off, you did the RIGHT thing buying from DDM. I've purchased at least 50 ballasts and bulbs from them that I can recall. I've had two failures, and they were easily remedied by driving over there and swapping them out.

Now to the issue you're having, are you using a relay harness, or do you have the ballasts directly plugged into the existing wiring in the truck? If you don't have a relay harness, that's your problem. The factory wiring will not support the flash current of the ballast. Everyone clings to the point that HID's draw less then Halogen bulbs. This is true, however not at ignition. 35w HID ballast pull between 11-15 amps for a almost 1/4 of a second at ignition. That doesn't sound like much, however it is enough to cause a major power sag in your trucks electrical system if you do this times 4, or 6, what have you. I can cause my race truck to misfire if I turn on all 9 of my HID's at once.

Also, you need to electrically bypass the "flash" that your remote sends to your lights when you press the button. HID's should never be flashed on and off. The cheap China HID's that 99% of the market is flooded with do not have the capability to have the arc restruck unless they have completely cooled down. Doing so burns the salts in the base of the bulb, and will severely shorten the bulbs life. This could be the problem you are having.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dezertrunner I am using a relay harness. I just bypassed my lights coming on with the remote. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Sure thing. Now that you have that bypassed, try plugging your suspect ballast/bulb into different ballasts and bulbs. If you can replicate the problem then you have bad equipment. If not wiring is to blame. My money is on the flashing burning up a bulb though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts