DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -
Do any of you have any experience with HID lights?
I have installed a set into a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I had before I bought this great '05 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with the 5.7 liter Hemi engine that I now am enjoying. I had no problem at all.
I will make a long story short for this introductory post by saying that when I tried installing a set into my Ram truck, I was met with frustration and failure.
After a lengthy quest for knowledge I found out that due to the system in my '05 Ram that senses a "bulb out" or circuit overload in the light system, I can not install HID lights in this truck.
I forgot to ask when Dodge/Chrysler started using this system in their vehicles, but I think that I have seen HID lights in Dodge trucks, whatever their year of manufacture might be. One of my sources for information was the people at the phone number 1-800-HEMI which was provided to me by a parts department employee at the dealership.
What do any of you fellow Dodge truck fans know about this?

G

·
You can put HID's in your truck but you'll need to pick a kit that will account for the "bulb out" feature on the truck.

I'd contact our supporting vendor, 3B Specialties, on your needs.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree. It can definitly be done, there is almost always a work around for wireing.

By the way. How does that 1-800-HEMI number work. It doesn't seem to be enough numbers to me. Is it some sort of special number like those 10-10 numbers they used to have, or a short number like 411?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't have any experience with installing HID kits, but from a theoretical point of view, the computer would likely be sensing a lower current on the headlight circuit to sense the bulb out condition, and with HIDs drawing less current, that'd be where the problem is. I would think that if you put a resistor in the circuit (most likely between the HIDs and the - side going back to the truck) that would make the current draw the same as, or close to, the stock bulbs, that bulb out indication should go away.

Again, I haven't done that myself, and I'm not sure if kits that don't produce that bulb out indication do it the same way, but that's what I would try if I were installing HIDs on my truck and got that indication.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey Mad Dog -
I have been looking at the 3B Specialties web site and I can see from looking at the wiring diagram for 2002 - 2005 Dodge Ram trucks that this will work as they are using a resistance for the ECU to detect. Funny, but I was wondering if such a resistance would fool the vehicle into thinking that "all is normal" instead of having an HID light relay in place.
The relay, in the system that I was having no success with, would just make clicking noises every few seconds with the low beam power being sent to it. The way this "lamp out" system works is to it sends out a pulse of electricity and if the bulb is burnt out, not in place, or there is an overload condition present, no constant power will be applied.
With a resistor in place the ECU is fooled into thinking that it has a working light bulb in place.
Apparently this is an issue for those owning 2002 - 2005 Dodge Ram trucks since the wiring diagram is titled "Relay Harness Diagram for HID/Halogen Kits (2002-2005 Dodge Ram Only)"
Thanks Mad Dog

Sorry - The phone number I mentioned earlier is 800-426-HEMI

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One additional note concerning this business is there is a comment on this wiring diagram that states "Pick up (2) 8 ohm, 20w resistors from Radio Shack. The lights should come on with a single 20w resistor, but you may need a second set to build enough resistance to trip the Dodge Ram's ECU."

·
Registered
28 Posts
lamp out with halos

Hey All -
Do any of you have any experience with HID lights?
I have installed a set into a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I had before I bought this great '05 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with the 5.7 liter Hemi engine that I now am enjoying. I had no problem at all.
I will make a long story short for this introductory post by saying that when I tried installing a set into my Ram truck, I was met with frustration and failure.
After a lengthy quest for knowledge I found out that due to the system in my '05 Ram that senses a "bulb out" or circuit overload in the light system, I can not install HID lights in this truck.
I forgot to ask when Dodge/Chrysler started using this system in their vehicles, but I think that I have seen HID lights in Dodge trucks, whatever their year of manufacture might be. One of my sources for information was the people at the phone number 1-800-HEMI which was provided to me by a parts department employee at the dealership.
What do any of you fellow Dodge truck fans know about this?
I just did mine today, the lights do work without the resistors but the lamp out warning stays on

·
Registered
852 Posts
My Audi has the same thing on the information centre. Originally, my Audi had regular halogen headlights, and I upgraded them to HIDs a while back. Depending on the manufacturer of your HID kit, there should be a pin selector on your ballast that will allow you to draw more current if your vehicle is equipped with a bulb failure sensor.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Had to use resistors and a relay on mine

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought an 8000K from 3B specialties and they were not plug and play by any means. I tried everything from resistors, relays, everything 3B support told me to do. I eventually had to splice them in with my parking lights wire. They work now but I can no longer use my parking lights by themselves. If I could do it all again, I would order a set from a different company. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts