DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, my 8.4AN screen went blank after hooking up a jumper box. Could not find a fuse in the panel for the radio, just one marked AMP. Brought it to the dealer who, after diagnostics, said the radio was shot but agreed to replace it under warranty. Not believing there was actually no fuse for the display I started searching for a wiring diagram. Another post lead me to what is the holy grail of wiring diagrams for our trucks.

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/vin_selection.htm?vinString=3c6ur5fj1fg667191&s=2

Sure enough, there is a separate 20amp fuse outside of the box which was blown. Funny thing is the service manager said he had his "electronics expert" on my truck to diagnose:) Thank God for the Interwebz!

FYI, I have a 2500 with the 6.4 but imagine other models are similar.

Without an actual wiring diagram I'm not sure I'd ever have found it. Not like it jumps out at you, even when you're looking around. My only guess as to why it's not in the main fuse panel/PCM box along with everything else is to help isolate the radio from electrical noise (alternator whine). But just a guess.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Long story short, my 8.4AN screen went blank after hooking up a jumper box. Could not find a fuse in the panel for the radio, just one marked AMP. Brought it to the dealer who, after diagnostics, said the radio was shot but agreed to replace it under warranty. Not believing there was actually no fuse for the display I started searching for a wiring diagram. Another post lead me to what is the holy grail of wiring diagrams for our trucks.

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/vin_selection.htm?vinString=3c6ur5fj1fg667191&s=2

Sure enough, there is a separate 20amp fuse outside of the box which was blown. Funny thing is the service manager said he had his "electronics expert" on my truck to diagnose:) Thank God for the Interwebz!

Without an actual wiring diagram I'm not sure I'd ever have found it. Not like it jumps out at you, even when you're looking around. My only guess as to why it's not in the main fuse panel/PCM box along with everything else is to help isolate the radio from electrical noise (alternator whine). But just a guess.
So the dealer replaced the radio which had nothing wrong with it or was it defective? Than realised the fuse was blown as well?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: Thunderhorse

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the dealer replaced the radio which had nothing wrong with it or was it defective? Than realized the fuse was blown as well?
No, they ordered a new display and told me it would take about a week to arrive. In the meantime I started looking online for the actual HU fuse location and came across the wiring diagram site. The dealer/mechanics had no idea this even existed until I actually showed them. Would have been interesting to see what they suggested next after replacing the HU.

·
Super Moderator
34,697 Posts
Wow, never knew there was an inline fuse. I'm gonna go pop my hood and take a peek

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,421 Posts
Great info. I'm going to check mine also see if its there for future reference.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

Reputation Points fo the find AND for sharing it with us all.

Way to go and I thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts

thank you so much for this information, turned my truck on this morning after changing my headlight bulbs yesterday and my radio was just blank. nothing, not even reversing camera. Spent 5 mins reading every fuse option in the main box lid and could not find the word radio anywhere. Quick search on google brought up this post and i found the fuse. Although it was not blown the act of removing it to check it and replacing it fixed the radio

So thank you !!!! :smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grateful for the picture. Mine just went blank, and after reading every fuse listed, pulling diagrams on the internet and checking the manual I never found the missing fuse.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Link doesn't to diagram doesn't work any more.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

Can you give me any better information on the location of this fuse? I am using the picture and description and can't locate it. My phone went from Bluetooth to cell today and then I lost ability to do anything with the audio system. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can you give me any better information on the location of this fuse? I am using the picture and description and can't locate it. My phone went from Bluetooth to cell today and then I lost ability to do anything with the audio system. Thanks
Scan back in this thread to the first page, the original photo was redone with the fuse location circled in green.

I have an appointment to leave my truck at the dealership tomorrow, because my 5.0 radio keeps blacking out, turning off and on every few minutes. If it's just this fuse and the fuse is loose in the socket, I will laugh.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any other ideas on this. 2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn with the 430N radio. I accidentally touched the terminals posts together while changing the Auxiliary battery (the second battery, the one on the passenger side). The radio longer works I checked the 30 amp fuse in the fuse box labeled Radio/amp. I checked all the other ones in the fuse box. I found three 15amp fuses inline behind the battery (the one on the driver side) and they are all ok. but I found no 20amp fuses in the location pictures. I checked around the Auxiliary battery and I find no fuses. I do not think the 430n has an internal fuse, but I did not pull it out. I just checked on line. HELP? any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts

So the pic you provided is that the fuse location outside under the hood not in the interior?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Good morning. I'm having the same issue, blank screen, no radio. No warranty tho so trying to fix myself. I found your post and started looking. This is what I found and am guessing is what I need to check but don't know how it comes out and don't want to break anything. Any ideas?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts