DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys first off I used to have these headlights and the light output from the projector was very poor. However I loved the mean look my truck had with them so I plan on buying another pair. I heard some people say hids would help but I never knew how to install them. Does anyone on here know how to install them and if they make a difference ? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Smoked-06-08-...placement-Left-Right-/161705579601?nav=SEARCH

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
HID's are now plug and play as long as you get a CanBus compliant kit.

With a projector lens the light output and cutoff would be good. Halogen with projectors work but not as well as HID's with projectors.

The Retrofit source has CanBus kits available. I do have a few concerns with those particular headlight capsules though:

1. That projector lens is very, very small so you won't get as good a light pattern or output with them as you would with a larger, good glass projector.

2. The wiring to the low beam bulb doesn't look right, at least not for a HID bulb. I'd check into that before you buy.

3. If that is an LED signal at the bottom you'll need some resistors for them to work properly.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Alright guys first off I used to have these headlights and the light output from the projector was very poor. However I loved the mean look my truck had with them so I plan on buying another pair. I heard some people say hids would help but I never knew how to install them. Does anyone on here know how to install them and if they make a difference ? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Smoked-06-08-...placement-Left-Right-/161705579601?nav=SEARCH
The bulb wasn't really the issue with the projector. The projector was the issue with those lights.

As I've said many times on this site before, there is a great deal of difference between a halogen projector and an HID projector. There is also a great deal of difference between different halogen and HID projectors.

When you buy aftermarket lights they come equipped with the cheapest H1 halogen projectors straight from beijing most likely. Halogen projectors have deeper, round bowls to focus as much light from the halogen bulb as possible down range. Cheap projectors will have really poor optical clarity and the bowl will have very poor reflective quality. This is the reason for your complaint about the crappy lighting. A good OEM halogen projector such as the factory projectors from the 13+'s or even the new 2016 tacoma H11 projectors are more than acceptable for light output.

When you put HID's into a halogen projector you actually have similar problems as you would putting HID's into a halogen reflector. The only improvement really is that you gain a distinct cutoff (usually, but not always). Some of these aftermarket projectors don't even have DOT cutoff shields. Because of the shape of the bowl you gain a lot of foreground lighting and your light output will be very narrow. So, your lighting will look somewhat similar to how it did before but more intense in the foreground. Will it appear brighter? Yep. Will it increase your distance vision? Well, maybe not.

IMO, you will find that the stock headlights your truck came equipped with will still outperform the aftermarket ones even with HID's in them simply because you have the light in the right places, even if there is less of it... Hope that helps you.

If you REALLY want to get good lighting check out my signature. You could do the exact same swap in your 3rd gen.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Very great info thanks ! I really wish I could retrofit but I don't really trust myself doing it.
I didn't really trust myself doing it which is why I did it...To learn.

Do what I do and find a used set of lights super cheap and use those as your retrofit. Keep driving your truck as is until you finish them and you're happy with the project :).

Parts will not cost too much.

Set of spare lights (100ish)
Mini D2S or mini H1 (60-130ish) depending on whether or not you want the B-stock stuff or not. I'm not a perfectionist so I went with their B-stock
Shrouds ($15 for bstock $30 for regular units)
HID Kit ($100ish) with error cancellers or go with cheap DDM units for $30ish
Bulbs ($40-$300) I went with $40 morimoto units
Butyl Tape $15

You obviously may need some wiring stuff and if you want to paint add another $30 for supplies.

But really if you wanted to do a little at a time just get the spare headlights and the projectors and get the extras later as the project nears completion :p

With the Mini D2S and Mini H1 they simply thread in with a securing nut.. No gluing required or hacking your headlights to pieces. You just need a little dremel here and there to get the shrouds and shaft to fit through. The only hard part is opening the headlights, which is why you want a spare set :).

I'm here to help so don't feel as if you gotta do it on your own :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts