·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do these hemi engines last for? I know the ol 318 will run over 500k

·
Registered
698 Posts
500K? I'd find it amazing to see valves and seats go that long without service on any conventional engine.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep 86 318 out of a fifth avenue had 380k on it and I swapped it in my dads old ramcharger and he's been driving it for 5 years there well over 500kms on it only thing done was a timing chain at 220k these 318 are known for there longevity.. Just curious if this hemi is gonna be a right off after 200k or will this thing last like the old trucks? Things ain't built like they were..

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
You must have a really good 5.2 then, because after 18 years as a technician, I have only seen a handful of them with over 200k miles (320k km) on the odometer and most of those were in need of freshening up.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it is a miracle engine lol.. It's leaks and burns oil like a bitch but it always starts and always drives. Trust me its not a brand new motor the thing needs help but just to have that many km's on it and it still runs and drives is crazy

·
REVEL PERFORMANCE
9,569 Posts
if its never had a rebuild that is pretty amazing :) the most i have seen out of any of my dodge trucks was about 120k and that was in a dakota i had a long time ago, it was still going strong i just traded in im sure it got another 50-100k out of it.

Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
318's usually outlast the bodies they're put in. I have pesonally seen them over 200K (in miles) so it wouldn't surprise me if it was taken care of. I firmly believe by 300K you'll probably be sucking down as much oil as fuel though...

·
Registered
295 Posts
My old neighbor still has his 96 5.9 single cab its got 380k on it. He's on his 4th transmission never once serviced the motor besides timing chain its crazy. And still runs like a beast! I have 108k on my hemi feels like it's running better everyday

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had an 03 5.7 1500 with 373k on it when i sold it, was using oil and needed valve seats but still ran good. Engine never had anything done to it. Fresh Mobil 1 every 5K with mopar filter.
Trans fluid and filter changed every 100k no problems.
1 radiator
1 alternator
some brakes
some wheel bearing thats it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts