DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,300 Posts
That can be a long drive; my wife and I racked up 3000+ miles on our Durango last Summer visiting family out that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2008 1500 223000 miles. Replace water pump, exhaust manifold bolts and rear carrier bearing 2xs
Runs great. It's just rusting all over, rear quarters , bottom of doors and rear bumper.
I am the original owner and when I purchased the truck Dodge offered life time warranties on the drive train so it cost me nothing for the repairs.

·
Super Moderator
34,300 Posts
I am the original owner and when I purchased the truck Dodge offered life time warranties on the drive train so it cost me nothing for the repairs.
That turned out to be a sweet deal; my dad has that on his 2009 and has had manifold bolts replaced and just got a new pinion seal. He is just over 114,000 miles now.

·
Super Moderator
34,300 Posts
My 13 has 139,xxx on it. Runs amazing and have had 0 major repairs on it. Run full synthetic

13 hemi**

What oil do you use?

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually picking up my 2nd Ram 1500 Friday. It's a 2013 SLT 2WD with 139K miles. 1 owner, all highway miles. Too good of a deal for me not to buy it. Hoping I can get at least another 100K out of it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 13' ram 1500 CC with 73k milles on it already. i was wondering what was the life span for these trucks? i still owe 3 years on the truck and was thinking by the time i get it paid off will it be wore out to where i need to go and trade. been debating on whether or not to get me a diesel cause 200k miles on them is nothing. if i perform the proper maintenance can i get close to 150k miles without major problems like replacing the engine?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 13 outdoorsman with hemi.
I bought it with 89k miles on it in 2016. Beware of high mileage used trucks. Know idea whether previous owner changed the oil or any other maintenance.
I had the following issues.

1. Bad lifters on driver side. Warranty rebuild at 98k miles.
2. Water pump fell apart at 190k miles.
3. Bad spark plugs at 190k miles.
4. Clogged oil pump pickup tube at 190k miles.
Just had 2-4 fixed a couple weeks ago.
Trucks is running really good now.
I change oil with mobile 1 syn every 5-6k.
I run a can of seafoam in oil about 2-3 days before oil change like every 3 times or whenever I remember.

I would have the oil pan dropped and inspect it for sludge at around 80k. And replace plugs, it's a bitch but truck runs so much better. Clean or replace pickup tube depending on what you find. Not an easy job as the cross beam needs to come off and diferential needs to be lifted to get pan out.
Mine was full of fine metal shavings and tons of thick sludge.
Once it was cleaned up I put a magnetic plug in, replaced the pickup tube and ran 1qt of atf in oil for about 200 miles. Changed oil and screened it to look for chunks. Nothing there but surprisingly it was a little dirty.
Now i am going to run for another 300 miles and change it again just to see what it looks like. Probable going to start using atf instead of seafoam to clean engine before oil change. I know it's old school but I think it works.
I suspect the seafoam loosened allot of sludge from previous owner over past 100k miles and it all ended up in pan. Or it was there the whole time. Who knows. I definitely think pulling the pan for inspection and cleaning is a good idea before it ends up like mine. See attached pic of pickup tube. I am surprised it worked at all.
The reason I did pan was to avoid the dealer recommendation of changing oil pump which is a bigger job. My oil pressure kept dropping to 0, then jumping back up. Replace sensors to. No avail. I knew engine was sludged up from dealer service at 98k. That's why I used seafoam frequently.
My Old 2003 4.7 ram had pump and filter in oil pan, newer hemis have pump in front of engine so whole front has to come off.
My truck is running better now then in about last year or so. Should have done pan along time ago.
In attached pic of pickup screen. The clear spot was from me scrapping it off. It was totally clogged.
591675930(1).jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve got a 13 1500 Laramie, 157000 miles. I’ve changed the synthetic oil regularly at every 10000 miles. My truck has had no issues until recently with an intermittent left rear turn signal out (led taillights so no replacing bulb...I’m still working on figuring that out) but the truck runs and looks like a top!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 13' ram 1500 CC with 73k milles on it already. i was wondering what was the life span for these trucks? i still owe 3 years on the truck and was thinking by the time i get it paid off will it be wore out to where i need to go and trade. been debating on whether or not to get me a diesel cause 200k miles on them is nothing. if i perform the proper maintenance can i get close to 150k miles without major problems like replacing the engine?
i have a 2013 5.7 it has 117000 runs great. just do your oil changes, and all the other stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi with 122,000 that I bought new. I never serviced the tranny despite the dealer's recommendations and it (tranny) just went out and cost me $4k through a tranny shop (dealer price was $5K) - did the repair since I want to get another 122k mile out of it. I run Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic, change every 8k miles and I tow with it often. Put new belt and hoses in recently, but run original spark plugs still. My company truck is a 2013 Ram 1500 V6 with 167K miles. Have only put tires and a new thermostat in it. Looking to get 200k miles plus out of it - we also periodically tow a 6,000 lb trailer up and and down hills - no issues. Gets 25 mpg easily on highway. I will continue to be a RAM advocate - out of 19 route drivers in my company, 75% run RAM 2500 HD trucks and tow 8-9,000 lb trailers daily. One guy had 350,000 miles on his Cummins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just went over 99,000 miles on my 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie and have to put in a new engine. I love my truck but I guess I got the lemon out of the bunch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh my gosh - what happened? Engine leaks? Valve lifters? The only issue I had was 2 cracked manifold bolts which is common and were fixed for under $100

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no idea. Had all recommended services done as required,no engine leaks, no warning lights, and passed the Texas state inspection. So I'm lost on this one.

·
Super Moderator
34,300 Posts
My 13' has 196K miles on it, only issue i had was the MDS but other than that it runs great
Good grief, mine only got to 97,000 in August. Then again I've been deployed for almost two years since I've owned it and the wife doesn't rack up the miles while I'm away. Last time she only put 800 miles on it over 8 months; I put about 25,000 on it last year though. My dad has under 130,000 on his 2009 so I think I'll pass him eventually.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts