DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just recently acquired a 98 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 magnum with 200,000KM’s at first I had a problem with it idling rough and making a loud sucking noise at idle which I researched and found lots of people with the same problem that found it to be caused by the upstream 02 sensor so I replaced mine and the problem went away then I noticed that sometimes when I floor the gas it “pings” or at least that’s what I think it is. It only makes the noise when I floor the gas and it doesn’t always do it sometimes it runs good so I researched that and found lots of people with the same problem that found it to be caused by a leaking plenum so I searched how to tell if the plenum is leaking and found lots of suggestions to remove the throttle body and look into the intake manifold and check for oil so I did that and here’s what it looks like. Looks good to me but maybe I’m wrong. When I took the throttle body off I noticed that my throttle body gasket is non-existent, should there be a gasket there? Could that be causing a problem?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Pinging is caused when the combustion in the cylinder happens too fast, it can also be caused by carbon build up in the cylinder. Two things to start with, 1. buy a quality fuel system cleaner like Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner, I would run that for three to five tank fulls, 2. Run a top tier fuel like Chevron, Shell or Exxon/Mobil, you can run another brand as long as it is top tier certified, top tier fuel has more detergents in them to clean the carbon in the engine.

The next thing is try a full tank of premium fuel and see if the increased octane stops the pinging, if it does then try the mid grade with a full tank of that and see if that stops the pinging if it does then you know you can run mid grade fuel.

You do not want the engine to ping, while most manufactures will say a little ping is not a problem they do not tell you how much a little ping is. When your engine pings from pre ignition you can cause major damage from piston damage to cracking an engine block to damaging a crankshaft. Pinging is not good.

I had a 1987 Mustang patrol car when I was an LEO, the department only bought regular fuel, they would not pay for premium fuel even through Ford spec was premium fuel. One night I turned around to stop a car for a violation and I opened it up shifting through the gears when in third gear under full throttle acceleration the engine started to ping, I backed out of the throttle to stop the pinging and I caught up to the violator but when I stopped the violator the engine was knocking.

The state of Florida buys a lot of vehicles from Ford so Ford cuts the state a lot of slack on repairing vehicles under warranty, things that they would deny you or I for.

When the Ford dealer took the engine apart they found three cracked pistons, a cracked engine block and the crankshaft was damaged on one of of the main bearings.

To understand what the pinging sounded like and it was only for a couple of seconds go to your silverware drawer and pick up a bunch of silverware and let it drop from your fingers back down into the drawer, that is what the pinging sounded like only a touch deeper in sound.

That is the kind of damage you can cause from pinging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are unsure, doing the plenum gasket is a decently easy job, 2 hours max, and good insurance. Somebody at one point used to make a thicker aluminum plenum pan for theses trucks, and it greatly reduced gasket breakage. I did it twice on my 99, both times the gasket pulled in near cylinders 5 and 7. The symptoms were massive pinging, as well as rough idle and inconsistent idle

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Actually it looks like somebody replaced it. The stock plate is a thin metal one and you can see yours is aluminum. Another thing you can check is find out what heat range the plugs are. It's possible you can run colder plugs and that could get rid of the ping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually it looks like somebody replaced it. The stock plate is a thin metal one and you can see yours is aluminum. Another thing you can check is find out what heat range the plugs are. It's possible you can run colder plugs and that could get rid of the ping.
I dodnt notice that at first, but the only way he can verify...pull it.

As to the plugs the old black champion truck series plugs used to be the ticket

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very likely could be. If i still had my 99 it would have had an airgap by this point. The honestly is the best fix.

I do however seem to remember the tin pan having some brushed look to it, but that was 12 or 13 years ago lol.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That's from the PVC valve, The Hughes kit used a thin gasket and the 1/4 inch plate keeps in place unlike the stock set up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
QUOTE="Moparite, post: 2259435, member: 127241"][/QUOTE]

So you don’t think it’s leaking? I just changed the plugs today It had autolite 5224’s but I switched to autolite 3923 which I think is one step colder but it still pings when I floor the gas, it seems like it’s not as bad though. Should I try premium gas next time I fill up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both, a few of them were black a few were a yellow/tan colour. I could post pics if you want I kept the old plugs and I took note which cylinders they came from

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Normal is a tan color, Since you have some black it could be bad wires/cap or just beat plugs. With that amount of miles a compression test wouldn't hurt to see if that's why they are black(low compression).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay I’ll test compression and repost back when possible, do you think that would cause my issue? Is there anything else I could try in the meantime do you think premium fuel or octane boost could help?Oh and by the way it doesn’t make the noise in park/neutral only when I floor the gas in drive I’ll try and get a video of it but I don’t think it’s loud enough to show up clearly on a video

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I think the noise might have actually been a bad connecting rod bearing. Not sure but I sold the truck to a friend and after 6 hours of them driving it threw a rod through the block. I feel really bad I thought it was just ping, wasn’t a loud noise and only really made the noise when you floored the gas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I think the noise might have actually been a bad connecting rod bearing. Not sure but I sold the truck to a friend and after 6 hours of them driving it threw a rod through the block. I feel really bad I thought it was just ping, wasn’t a loud noise and only really made the noise when you floored the gas it never had a cel didn’t burn oil still ran good and made good power till it went bang all of a sudden apparently

1 - 17 of 17 Posts