DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:4-dontknow:

Hello all,

I am looking at buying a ram 1500. The current forerunner is a 2003 model standard cab 4x4 with the 5.7 HEMI. It has 112K on the clock, but I don't know if this is about the max life of the HEMI or not. What is the most I can expect out of the motor and what should I look for when buying a used HEMI?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
125k w/ stock block/tranny/lsd. lsd is coming out Friday for Auburn.

Survivor of a major side collision, 2 pack rats, collapsed lifter (@ 10k so it was replaced under warranty), 2 drive shafts, 8 years of dirt roads and major modding and she is still chugging along and looking mighty fine.

Here's to the next 125k :smileup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kay9,

Yeah, I have my heart set on a standard cab 4x4 with the HEMI. I have had a few dodge trucks (including a 2006 SLT 2500 with the 8.0L, I LOVED that truck) so I know they can take a beating. I am just trying to get the best deal for my money, like everyone else, so I want to know how reliable a HEMI with 112K on it will be. It sounds to me like they are a pretty solid engine. I know the 4.7 Magnum is a damn solid engine, but I want something with a little more go and a lot more growl... lol.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
that thing looks and sounds MEAN! How many times you had to crack the engine open?
I've openned her twice but just for cam swaps..the bottom end is still stock..I'm try to blow her up so i could stroke it but she's been very reliable to me...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
x2 w/ Fred but mine has been open x3. Follow maintenance and listen/look for any wear and tear on moving parts and replace/update when necessary.

I also have certain "guidelines" in terms of driving habits so i can prolong my transmission as long as possible. If i can get 150k+ on my original factory trans then i will be one happy camper.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Also you really only got a perspective from two members who are modded to the hilt on a stock block. Sure its more lenient with stock or slightly modded 5.7 owners.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Also you really only got a perspective from two members who are modded to the hilt on a stock block. Sure its more lenient with stock or slightly modded 5.7 owners.
heeeyy...I resemble that comment:LOL:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. I bought the truck! I will be putting up some pics in the next few weeks. Once the weather gets better and I can get her cleaned up properly!
The truck runs GREAT! The only thing I have noticed is this, if I goose the throttle quickly while driving down the road, there seems to be a hesitation before the engine picks up revs... is this a stock tune that is set to "save" wear and tear on the transmission?
And OH, Satin Pumpkin... what kind of intake do you have on that thing??? I love the way that engine looks!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts