DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ram is new, about 1,200 miles and today I did the first real hwy trip. I filled it at 7-11 with 87 octane and got on the highway. I drove 175 miles, all interstate at about 75 mph, a little less for a while and little more for a while, never over 80 mph. We got to our destination, did about 5 miles in town and headed back home. About 30 miles from home, the gas light comes on. I found a station and fill it up. 23.62 gallons and 335.5 miles equals 14.2 mpg! My window sticker says 19! How could it be so bad? I should claim fraud by Dodge!
I used cruise control almost exclusively, never flooring it. No A/C on. WTF?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Be thankful your doing that well. Mine is way worse after level and 35s. The claimed mpg is pretty much unattainable, Makes me think I should have gone with the ecoboost I was looking at

·
Registered
290 Posts
the more miles you get on your motor the better your mileage would get, and I think most people recommend running the 89 octane in the hemi's. Don't quote me on it as Im not sure from experience as Im runnin a diesel, but from almost everyone Ive heard from once you start adding some miles it will get better.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Miles, she needs miles! Mine didn't start getting over 18 - 19 mpg until I hit at least 5 to 6k miles. Winter fuels are the worst for mileage as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine easily gets 18 at 75mph. My best ever trip is 20.6 cruising at 60mph. It will improve with some miles and 89 octane will probably pay for itself and make you're truk run better too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would run 89, it is NOT required per the owner's manual but it is recommended per the owner's manual (in the section labeled "fluids and capacities"). I only have 500 miles on my 2012 so I haven't begun to calculate mpg. I hate to sound like a [email protected] but I didn't buy a hemi, or a truck for that matter, for the fuel mileage.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Be thankful your doing that well. Mine is way worse after level and 35s. The claimed mpg is pretty much unattainable, Makes me think I should have gone with the ecoboost I was looking at
I have 1400 miles on my Express Quad Cab. I have gotten 12.5 mpg on every tank except for one - 13.9 - where I had a lot more highway than usual. Most of my driving is city and I let my truck warm up for at least 5 minutes on every cold start up. So I'd say I'm doing ok. Sometimes I think maybe I should have gone with the ecoboost but then I see those annoying Ford commercials on TV and see how ugly that truck looks. It doesn't do THAT much better, and the cost of ownership on that truck will probably end up being more in the long run with maintenance.

To the OP - I would think that first, you should use 89 as recommended in the owner's manual. Second, maybe not fill up at 7-11 but rather a better quality gasoline brand. I know the truck will run on 87, but if 89 is recommended, there is probably a good reason. Engineers could probably find a way to make cars run on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but it doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've got a '12 Express that had almost exactly the same mileage as yours before a 600+ mile trip last weekend. Mine is 2WD with 3:55 gears. I drove 73 mph on the 70 mph sections and only slowed to 65 and 70 in 2 or 3 places...mostly interstate with a few backcountry roads. I got 19.5 mpg and was quite happy with that. I'm running the stock 20's, and the only mods are a Borla 19" muffler...like a Magnaflow...and a DIY dual inlet airbox w/K&N filter. I used 86 octane winter blend fuel for the whole trip. I don't have EVIC and mileage was calculated the old fashioned way.

I know just having 4WD will affect mileage to some degree, but 5 mpg does sound a bit much. I see many folks on the site mention that the more you go over 70 mph, the worse the mileage gets. Maybe things go to pot at 75 and above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
winter gas, elevation, speed, wind, amount of cargo, tire pressure, terrain all play a role in gas mileage. These threads always come up in winter and kind of disapear in the summer. I was just talking about this subject with my neighbor ( he drives a nissan murano 100 miles a day to and from work almost all highway ) and he says he loses about 3 mpg every winter because of winter gas. Go to the f150 ecoboost forums, there are a ton of threads over there about their gas mileage as well ( ecoboost is very speed sensitive as well ) they aren't doing much better than we are!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I get 20-22 doing 65/70. On that same trip with this winter gas I get about 16mpg. The winter blend really sucks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an 09 Ram 1500 2wd and on the highway I was able to get 23 mpg's but that was 1000 mile road trip. I normally get 19-20 to and from work during the warm months and right now im getting just over 14 with this crappy winter we are having.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas mileage

I feel the pain, I also didnt buy the Hemi for its great gas consumption claims, but WOW. I was getting 13 mpg until the lift and tires and I expected it to drop some but now I am lucky to get 9 on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I am getting 15.8 EVIC calculated, i use Am Pm gas mid grade
i get better in summer
i try to keep at 72 mph, going across the desert floor to Yuma, but there is this little set of hills in between Sea Level to below sea level, at least 3 hills at 4,100 feet
I have 1,000 pounds of extra weight in the bed, my Ram weighs 6,300 when i start it up, about the same as a 4X4

It hurts when a friend is making the same trip in his Ford Ranger, it costs him $10.00
It costs me $45

He is much lower, much lighter, car street tires & he runs Regular gas
Where is, i just look better doing it :)

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
There are so many factors that effect mpg it's almost impossible to keep it all straight, but the new advertised mpg ratings are supposed to be pretty accurate and you should be able to achieve them with a stock vehicle. I know I get well beyond what my 4.7L is rated for (either 14/19 or 16/19...can't remember). I get more like 17-18/22 but I also have a superchips tuner and am running the 93 tune. Even when it was stock though it got about 16-17/at least 20. 60-65mph is the best speed for mpg, but of course no one wants to drive that slow. If you can hold it at an honest 70mph you should get at least what the sticker says. Also it is true once you have a few thousand miles on the engine it should do better, and winter gas sucks...

I can get up to about 23mpg max all highway at 65mph, but if I go 80mph it's more like 19mpg. That wind makes a difference!

·
Registered
116 Posts
When Dodge comes out with their MPG's you can bet that it's under the most ideal conditions, air temp and so forth going 55 MPH with no additional weight and on the flattest road there is. The faster you go the worst it gets, go up hills and again the MPG's go down. Also testing your MPG's in the winter is a complete waste of time due to winter gas.

People considering lifts, even just to level and bigger tires should think twice because your just going to kill the MPG's.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^I should have stated also that I am in FL and it's ALL flat land. So right now with cooler temps and flat land (and a basically unloaded truck...maybe 20lb total extra weight...mostly in my belly) I have ideal conditions (except poor gas).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

THEY AVERAGED 43 MPH FOR HIGHWAY TESTING!!!?

This is dead wrong. When people drive highway, it is almost all highway(duh). The speed limit is 65-70 is almost all states, why don't they get over 60, and only average 43 mph? And since it is on a dyno, aerodynamics don't count either.
Sounds like a automaker/government scam!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Eco ??? Really ??? Go talk to my next door neighbor (actually three houses down) he was all this that and the other about his ECO then his wife gets talking to my wife.. they got 15.6 on a trip to Cleveland.. ECO really ??? Really ??? Run mid grade 89.. run 70 not 75.. use your cc.. Mine 11 has not 5k yet I got 16.9 on a trip to Atlanta I live in WV you go up hills both ways...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts