DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Highway mileage is dreadful!

3813 Views 22 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Black1
My Ram is new, about 1,200 miles and today I did the first real hwy trip. I filled it at 7-11 with 87 octane and got on the highway. I drove 175 miles, all interstate at about 75 mph, a little less for a while and little more for a while, never over 80 mph. We got to our destination, did about 5 miles in town and headed back home. About 30 miles from home, the gas light comes on. I found a station and fill it up. 23.62 gallons and 335.5 miles equals 14.2 mpg! My window sticker says 19! How could it be so bad? I should claim fraud by Dodge!
I used cruise control almost exclusively, never flooring it. No A/C on. WTF?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Be thankful your doing that well. Mine is way worse after level and 35s. The claimed mpg is pretty much unattainable, Makes me think I should have gone with the ecoboost I was looking at
I have 1400 miles on my Express Quad Cab. I have gotten 12.5 mpg on every tank except for one - 13.9 - where I had a lot more highway than usual. Most of my driving is city and I let my truck warm up for at least 5 minutes on every cold start up. So I'd say I'm doing ok. Sometimes I think maybe I should have gone with the ecoboost but then I see those annoying Ford commercials on TV and see how ugly that truck looks. It doesn't do THAT much better, and the cost of ownership on that truck will probably end up being more in the long run with maintenance.

To the OP - I would think that first, you should use 89 as recommended in the owner's manual. Second, maybe not fill up at 7-11 but rather a better quality gasoline brand. I know the truck will run on 87, but if 89 is recommended, there is probably a good reason. Engineers could probably find a way to make cars run on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but it doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.