DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Highway mileage is dreadful!

3818 Views 22 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Black1
My Ram is new, about 1,200 miles and today I did the first real hwy trip. I filled it at 7-11 with 87 octane and got on the highway. I drove 175 miles, all interstate at about 75 mph, a little less for a while and little more for a while, never over 80 mph. We got to our destination, did about 5 miles in town and headed back home. About 30 miles from home, the gas light comes on. I found a station and fill it up. 23.62 gallons and 335.5 miles equals 14.2 mpg! My window sticker says 19! How could it be so bad? I should claim fraud by Dodge!
I used cruise control almost exclusively, never flooring it. No A/C on. WTF?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13,692 Posts
There are so many factors that effect mpg it's almost impossible to keep it all straight, but the new advertised mpg ratings are supposed to be pretty accurate and you should be able to achieve them with a stock vehicle. I know I get well beyond what my 4.7L is rated for (either 14/19 or 16/19...can't remember). I get more like 17-18/22 but I also have a superchips tuner and am running the 93 tune. Even when it was stock though it got about 16-17/at least 20. 60-65mph is the best speed for mpg, but of course no one wants to drive that slow. If you can hold it at an honest 70mph you should get at least what the sticker says. Also it is true once you have a few thousand miles on the engine it should do better, and winter gas sucks...

I can get up to about 23mpg max all highway at 65mph, but if I go 80mph it's more like 19mpg. That wind makes a difference!

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^I should have stated also that I am in FL and it's ALL flat land. So right now with cooler temps and flat land (and a basically unloaded truck...maybe 20lb total extra weight...mostly in my belly) I have ideal conditions (except poor gas).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.