DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Highway mileage is dreadful!

3825 Views 22 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Black1
My Ram is new, about 1,200 miles and today I did the first real hwy trip. I filled it at 7-11 with 87 octane and got on the highway. I drove 175 miles, all interstate at about 75 mph, a little less for a while and little more for a while, never over 80 mph. We got to our destination, did about 5 miles in town and headed back home. About 30 miles from home, the gas light comes on. I found a station and fill it up. 23.62 gallons and 335.5 miles equals 14.2 mpg! My window sticker says 19! How could it be so bad? I should claim fraud by Dodge!
I used cruise control almost exclusively, never flooring it. No A/C on. WTF?
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Mileage

My Ram is new, about 1,200 miles and today I did the first real hwy trip. I filled it at 7-11 with 87 octane and got on the highway. I drove 175 miles, all interstate at about 75 mph, a little less for a while and little more for a while, never over 80 mph. We got to our destination, did about 5 miles in town and headed back home. About 30 miles from home, the gas light comes on. I found a station and fill it up. 23.62 gallons and 335.5 miles equals 14.2 mpg! My window sticker says 19! How could it be so bad? I should claim fraud by Dodge!
I used cruise control almost exclusively, never flooring it. No A/C on. WTF?
There are a lot of people that seem to get much more mileage than is attainable. Maybe it's miscalculation, hopeful thinking, or BS. MDS is not going to get you anything good around town/city. Our 5.7s get 10 to 13 city, and 15 to 21 highway. Depends on driver, added weight, towing, you will get differences. Sure if you add coasting, strong tailwinds, dropping into neutral downhill, drafting, etc you can get a bit more highway. Face it these are powerful V8 engines, and if you can get 19 to 14 city, and 16 to 21 highway you are doing real good.
Telling it like it is.

· Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, winter sucks for fuel milage. I also think cold weather causes the engine to pump more fuel in to compensate for the dense air. (for those who don't know cold air is more dense than warm air, so its like more air getting in the engine, this can cause the engine to run to lean and cause engine damage) along with winter gas milage goes way down in the winter. My Ram also took about 10,000km to start getting better. At best I can get about 20-22 MPG and thats at 90km\h (55 MPH) once I get over 65MPH milage starts to drop off quickly. City driving is also terrible. BTW, the eco boost is no prius either, my neighbor has one, he gets about 3-4 MPG better, not worth the $2500 upgrade cost in my opinion.

· Registered
103 Posts
How accurate is the EVIC. As I sit right now with 1100 miles on my truck, I'm showing 16.2 avg MPG. I haven't bothered to test it manually though.

And to those pissed about the claims being a scam, you shouldn't be too hard on them. If they weren't able to scam we'd all be driving 4-bangers. Would you prefer that?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.