DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the hill start assist set up for in the MDS?
I have it checked on but have no idea what it's for:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I am guessing it helps you start your truck on a hill haha.

It must do something to help you go uphill when your towing or something else uphill

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
First I've heard of it actually. My guess would be that as the truck feels an incline (through a gyro/gimble maybe?) it adds more power or disables the MDS so you climb the hill without having to gun it half way through and burn more fuel. I know the new F-150s have this feature, so I wonder if this is the RAM equivalent.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Check page 352 of your owners manual.

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The HSA system is designed to assist the driver in
launching a vehicle on an incline. HSA will maintain the
level of brake pressure the driver inputs for a short
duration once the driver takes his foot off of the brake
pedal. If the driver does not apply the throttle during this
short duration, the system will release brake pressure
and the vehicle will roll down the incline. The system will
release brake pressure in proportion to the amount of
throttle applied.
During operation, HSA will activate the brake control
system and a clicking noise may occur. If your foot is on
the brake pedal during operation you may feel a slight
pedal movement. The clicking and pedal movement is
normal and both will stop when HSA becomes inactive.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
My understanding (from glancing through the owner's manual/CD is that Hill Start Assist is just that
when it's turned on (it can be turned off with the EVIC). If the truck sensing that you're starting on an incline (not sure how it does this) it will delay in fully releasing the brakes. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time/ brake pressure involved, but that is my understanding of how it works. It's very similar to the system used in the Challengers with a manual tranny (I think we've all encountered on hill roll back with a manual tranny to some extent).

Someone else feel free to jump in to either correct my screwed up understanding, or expand upon what I got correct D:

Exco

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
My understanding (from glancing through the owner's manual/CD is that Hill Start Assist is just that
when it's turned on (it can be turned off with the EVIC). If the truck sensing that you're starting on an incline (not sure how it does this) it will delay in fully releasing the brakes. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time/ brake pressure involved, but that is my understanding of how it works. It's very similar to the system used in the Challengers with a manual tranny (I think we've all encountered on hill roll back with a manual tranny to some extent).

Someone else feel free to jump in to either correct my screwed up understanding, or expand upon what I got correct D:

Exco
:iagree: You got it ! It prevents you from rolling back on a hill by keeping the brakes on for a couple of seconds until you apply the throttle enough to overcome the roll back. I have actually experienced it already and it works great. :smileup:

·
Registered
715 Posts
I leave mine on all the time, doesn't hurt a thing. You can actually hear the brakes release when you hit the gas when it is activated. Probably the thump people complain about when they take off.

Was thinking I read that the Challenger stick had this also. Would be nice on a hill to start off as it wouldn't roll backwards.

E

·
0 Posts
So is this a manual trans feature only? I know Subaru had this on their manual trans cars.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
no Maddog... it comes on the newer Rams that have the EVIC (those that don't may also have it, don't know for sure).

It does come on the manual tranny Chally, though we've got our turned off, as we figure we both know how to drive a stick, so it's one of those "Big Brotherish" types of things

Exco

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
that sure would have been handy when i actually still worked for a living, driving a loaded dump truck & pulling a tilt trailer with a piece of heavy equipment on it. Always had some stupid driver in a pickup or car stopping behind me on a hill, leaving me no roll back room.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll turn it off (not too hilly here in south eastern Ontario) and will turn it on when pulling a load.
I downloaded the owner's manual online, this will help a lot more than the silly little book and dvd that came with the truck.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
I think I'll turn it off (not too hilly here in south eastern Ontario) and will turn it on when pulling a load.
I downloaded the owner's manual online, this will help a lot more than the silly little book and dvd that came with the truck.
I did'nt think that was something you can turn off permanently, it simply kicks in and holds the truck from slipping back if your on a hill steep enough to overcome the torque converter. Could also be useful when pulling a boat out on those launch ramps. If you find out anything please advise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the hill start assist set up for in the MDS?
I have it checked on but have no idea what it's for:4-dontknow:
It's a situation that every driver is familiar with. You're driving your car up a hill and at the top of the incline is an intersection with a traffic light. The light is red and there are already two or three cars stopped in front of you. You ease down on the brake pedal and come to a stop behind them. Soon, another car pulls up just a few feet behind you.
As the light turns green, you release the brake. If you're driving a manual transmission, you step on the clutch with your left foot and move your right foot to the accelerator pedal. At this point there's nothing stopping your car from rolling backward except the braking force of the engine, and if you're using a clutch even that force is gone. Gravity starts pulling you back down the hill, straight toward the bumper of the car behind you.
What do you do? Do you panic and hit the brake? Do you let your car drift into the next car in line?
Well, probably not. If you've been driving for any length of time, your reflexes take over. You simply step on the accelerator and gradually bring the engine up to speed. If you're driving a manual transmission, you press the accelerator as you simultaneously let up on the clutch. The car moves forward. Disaster averted!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First I've heard of it actually. My guess would be that as the truck feels an incline (through a gyro/gimble maybe?) it adds more power or disables the MDS so you climb the hill without having to gun it half way through and burn more fuel. I know the new F-150s have this feature, so I wonder if this is the RAM equivalent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When your on a hill stopped with this feature senses that and when you remove your foot from the brake this feature maintains brake pressure as you move(right foot in case your wondering) to the gas pedal to kept from rolling back .:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts