DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took home my new to me 2011 Ram SLT 4.7L, with only 15,000 miles. The truck is wired for towing but there is no hitch. What hitch system does anyone recommend and is it easy to install? Thanks I am glad to be part of the forfum family

·
Registered
698 Posts
With the 4.7, you probably won't need anything bigger than the receiver hitch that utilizes the rear bumper hitch and ties it into the factory provided crossmember. It's good for a maximum of a 600 pound tongue weight and a 6000 pound tow load. If you use a weight distributing hitch, you can tow an even bigger load, and with a bigger tow load you'll need the weight distributing hitch anyway. I went with a Draw Tite model for my '12 Express, and it has worked great towing my 5000 pound trailer. I have Airlift airbags, and for my trailer weight and tongue weight, I haven't needed a WDH and only air the bags up to 15-20 psi. I believe there is a heavier hitch available, but it's only for extremely big loads, and I wouldn't think the 4.7 would be suitable for that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
my hitch came with my truck but I remember reading a thread like this before. most of the aftermarket are class 3. Just remember the weight ratings for the different classes.

Class III —up to 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg)
Class IV —up to 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg)

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
With the 4.7, you probably won't need anything bigger than the receiver hitch that utilizes the rear bumper hitch and ties it into the factory provided crossmember. It's good for a maximum of a 600 pound tongue weight and a 6000 pound tow load. If you use a weight distributing hitch, you can tow an even bigger load, and with a bigger tow load you'll need the weight distributing hitch anyway. I went with a Draw Tite model for my '12 Express, and it has worked great towing my 5000 pound trailer. I have Airlift airbags, and for my trailer weight and tongue weight, I haven't needed a WDH and only air the bags up to 15-20 psi. I believe there is a heavier hitch available, but it's only for extremely big loads, and I wouldn't think the 4.7 would be suitable for that.
the 08+ 4.7 will tow, quite well. I have hauled quite a lot of weight with mine, on this hitch:

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact..._9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1333291593&sr=1-9

Best investment for my truck ever. Installs in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just installed the same Curt hitch 13333, $74 shipped to be via ebay, yep, 20 minute install.

·
Registered
698 Posts
the 08+ 4.7 will tow, quite well. I have hauled quite a lot of weight with mine, on this hitch:

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact..._9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1333291593&sr=1-9

Best investment for my truck ever. Installs in 20 minutes.
I have that same hitch in the Draw Tite version. Apparently all Class III hitches aren't quite exact...which seems odd. In this pic you can see mine is rated at 600 tongue/6000 towable weight...if you don't use a weight distributing hitch.

Army, I didn't say a 4.7 wouldn't tow a heavy load...just that getting the huge weight hitch might not be the best match to a truck with a 4.7. The hitch like we have should be more than adequate for anything that "should" be towed by a 1/2 ton pickup, and especially one with a 4.7.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another thumbs up for the Curt 13333 Class III hitch. The paint finish is very good, and everytime I wax the truck I make sure the entire hitch gets a coat of wax.

I also have a Curt Class IV hitch sitting in my garage ready to swap in case I do eventually get a larger travel trailer. I'm currently towing a 2200lb tent trailer, so the Class III hitch is more than enough for that load. I don't want to install the Class IV unless I need it, as it weighs a good 60 lbs more than the Class III hitch.

Darin

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I have that same hitch in the Draw Tite version. Apparently all Class III hitches aren't quite exact...which seems odd. In this pic you can see mine is rated at 600 tongue/6000 towable weight...if you don't use a weight distributing hitch.

Army, I didn't say a 4.7 wouldn't tow a heavy load...just that getting the huge weight hitch might not be the best match to a truck with a 4.7. The hitch like we have should be more than adequate for anything that "should" be towed by a 1/2 ton pickup, and especially one with a 4.7.
Yeah, I realized how my response sounded when I re-read it just now. I honestly didnt even mean to quote you, so my response wasn't directed towards you (although it looked like it was). My apologies. You are correct, I am a firm believer that if you are questioning whether you can tow it or are teetering on the edge of safely doing so, time for a bigger truck. :LOL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts