DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a hitch for my 07 1500 and havent been able to find one locally. I looked up one online and came up with this one from Curt. Is this the whole hitch or just part of a hitch. I have never saw a hitch that small. Thanks guys, if anyone knows of a good hitch, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is a Curt class 3 hitch that utilizes the bumper only for support / capacity. personally I wouldn't trust it past a class 2 and just use the bumper.

Take a look at http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Dodge_Ram+Pickup.htm and the hidden hitches; particularly part number 82534 for a frame mount hitch which will give you a true class 3 hitch. There are class 4 & 5 on there as well; but installing one of those is overkill for your pickup. You'd be able to exceed the GVWR; which you want to avoid.

If you have any trailer shops nearby, they should be able to hook you up with a the proper hitch as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not going to do hardly any towing and i think that small one hooks to the tube frame under the bumper. It has the same ratings as the bigger one (I think) 600/6000. I will never get close to that. do you think the smaller one do for me?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've personally seen the little one get ripped off of vehicles and I've had the frame mounts break off as well (bad bolts to the frame from original installer). When it comes to reliability, I like grade 8 bolts to the frame with locking hardware. The small one goes to the bumper supports and the bumper itself (I don't remember if the bolts remained exposed or not though). Not ideal in my opinion.

The price difference doesn't look to be that great between the two on the etrailer website. I would recommend the frame mount just for the off chance you get stuck off road in the future and that's where the recovery vehicle wants to hook to. Would you really trust that bumper mount to fully support your vehicle without damage? The frame mounts have typical safety factors of 1.5 or greater, so even a class 3 frame unit will support a regular cab pickup that is fully loaded.

The 600/6000 seems overrated to me on the bumper only unit. I can believe it for the frame mount and you would be less likely to rip a properly mounted frame mount off the vehicle if it was stuck once it is properly installed.

You never know if you are going to get stuck and need a pull, nor need to pull someone else out. I've seen too many bent bumpers or bad hitches from improper towing techniques to recommend the bumper only mount.

Ultimately it is your decision, I can only suggest that you think ahead for what could occur and plan accordingly.

Good luck with the purchase and install.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've personally seen the little one get ripped off of vehicles and I've had the frame mounts break off as well (bad bolts to the frame from original installer). When it comes to reliability, I like grade 8 bolts to the frame with locking hardware. The small one goes to the bumper supports and the bumper itself (I don't remember if the bolts remained exposed or not though). Not ideal in my opinion.

The price difference doesn't look to be that great between the two on the etrailer website. I would recommend the frame mount just for the off chance you get stuck off road in the future and that's where the recovery vehicle wants to hook to. Would you really trust that bumper mount to fully support your vehicle without damage? The frame mounts have typical safety factors of 1.5 or greater, so even a class 3 frame unit will support a regular cab pickup that is fully loaded.

The 600/6000 seems overrated to me on the bumper only unit. I can believe it for the frame mount and you would be less likely to rip a properly mounted frame mount off the vehicle if it was stuck once it is properly installed.

You never know if you are going to get stuck and need a pull, nor need to pull someone else out. I've seen too many bent bumpers or bad hitches from improper towing techniques to recommend the bumper only mount.

Ultimately it is your decision, I can only suggest that you think ahead for what could occur and plan accordingly.

Good luck with the purchase and install.
All good advice here:smileup:.
Just like riding a motorcycle, You dress for the accident, not the ride. It's better be prepared and have more than you need, then not enough when you need it the most.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, that makes a lot of sense. I wasnt really worried about the price, it was more of the ease of putting on and just being smaller under the truck and had the same rating. I will get the bigger one for sure after thinking about the recovery and maybe having to pull someone out of a ditch someday. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue - my question is- If you put a class IV on, wont the entire assembly show below the bumper? The class III will show just the receiver. Another question is: To do a class IV, can it replace the bumper assembly, so it doesnt stick down so low?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.