DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done before on other trucks, but I am trying to figure out how to engage the real axle lock while stil in 2wd. It has to be as easy as adding a powered switch to the wire, and maybe fooling a sensor, but I can't find the right wiring diagram to acomplish this. Any ides guys?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Unless you've installed an electric locker, there isn't one in your truck. You have either an open differential or limited slip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought the truck it was explained that the rear axle had a locker in it which was indicated by the 4WD LOCK position on the switch. If it is not locked, what is 4WD LOCK?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
This is a transfer case position that locks the front and rear output hubs together and has nothing to do with the rear differential. Whoever told you this was either clueless or lying to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That somewhat angers me! Now I'm going to have to go to a selectable locker! Any suggestion on what works best in these trucks?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
When I bought the truck it was explained that the rear axle had a locker in it which was indicated by the 4WD LOCK position on the switch. If it is not locked, what is 4WD LOCK?

4X4 lock can be used to lock the front and rear drive shafts together, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I'm sure one of the other guys here can offer a more experienced opinion on lockers than I can. Do you know if your truck already has limited slip? Just curious here, but why do you need a locker, especially in 2WD?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm sure one of the other guys here can offer a more experienced opinion on lockers than I can. Do you know if your truck already has limited slip? Just curious here, but why do you need a locker, especially in 2WD?
And with all the electronic stuff these trucks also have, unless your going to use it for Rock climbing etc, you probably will never need it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I work on a pipeline and spend all day driving up and down the ROW, usually muddy, rutted and just plain fun. A 2wd locker helps a lot in certain instances and situations (I've done it on the past 3 trucks I've had). Gotta love a job that the pay is insane and you get to mud and crawl and climb all day, while they pay you to use your truck and pay for the gas you use!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IT just seems to work better is some circumstances through my experience, and driving through sugar sand 2wd locked is plenty good enough without needing the 4wd. And better handling too. Not to mention, when it's quiting time, it's fun to run through the ROW in 2wd when some guys can't make it through in 4wd.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Gotcha! I think I would look into electrical or air locker. I used to have a Chevy truck with a Detroit mechanical locker in the rear. While it worked great off road, it could be quirky on pavement when it was wet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts