DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I live in Washington state and was curious about making a canopy out of 2x4's and maybe some aluminum flashing for waterproofing purposes. I know I can find some for free on Craigslist but they all seem to be for longbeds. Also, it will only be used when we go camping. So here's my questions:

1. Does anyone know if this is legal?
2. Is a rear window and brake lights required?
3. Any other things to keep in mind when building?

If you have any links or info please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I don't know about Washington, but here in NJ there would have to be a 3rd brake/cyclops light on the rear.

The window shouldn't be necessary as long as you have 2 side view mirrors. However if you wanted to add a roll up flap in the back on the inside you could use one of the heavy gauge plastic table cloths or stop by a fabric/sewing shop. The one near me that sells headliner material, also has some pretty thick and crystal clear stuff I'm pretty sure I could recover a trampoline with.

I'd look around for a a 4x6 storage shed/tent that you could cut the legs off to the proper height.

Or how about this. Google "sportz truck tent"

http://customtruck.weblinkauto.com/StaticContents/catalog/ctp_napier.pdf

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the truck tent idea would cost me a couple hundred dollars, possibly more than it would cost to build one. My fault, I should have specified what I meant when I said it was for camping. It is intended to double the capacity of my bed. It might be used for actually sleeping in if I didnt feel like putting up a tent. It wouldnt be kept on my bed at all times, only when I needed to haul stuff and keep it from getting wet or stolen.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
No, you were pretty clear on that. What about PVC pipe?

six 4 ft pieces for the side supports, some "t"s along the top and elbows on the ends. You could run one size smaller pieces inside the top for strength, and the same with the side supports. with a 120 degree angle in the top center.

It probably wouldn't cost more than 20 or 30 dollars for the frame work

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how much wind PVC would withstand driving down the road. I think I'll frame the whole thing with 2x4's or 2x3's then put plywood over the frame and some kind of thin aluminum siding over that or maybe just paint it with some exterior paint so it will be somewhat waterproof. The bottom of the frame would be made of 2x4's so it could be attached to the bed rails with C clamps and easily removed when not needed. It will definitely serve its purpose and shouldn't be too expensive to make. Just wanted to see what other peoples ideas or thoughts were on the subject if they have tried to make one or not and the issues they have run into.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Anyone see that BBC episode of "Top Gear" where the three guys all had to pick a vehicle and make their own RV on the back of it? This thread kinda reminds of that.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts