DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned anything but fords and have been blessed with reliable ones. I have fallen in love with this current generation of dodge ram and am considering buying an 09 sport crew cab hemi. I have always heard horror stories of dodge reliability so i am scared to pull the trigger. Considering you are all owners i would appreciate your honest evaluation of your dodge's reliability and if it nickel and dimes you with constant repairs. I would also like to know if there are any consistant issues that plague the 09's that i should be leary of? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not that I personally know a ton about Dodges, but a friend who has 37 yrs working on dodges and I just had this conversation tonight. I asked him the same thing about newer ones as we pondered why mine won't run lol. He said the new ones are very solid trucks and that he really doesn't see them in the shop outside of routine maint for anything. Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
119 Posts
hi, welcome to the forum!

first off, its great to hear your interested in getting a ram truck!

onto the issues; most of the negitive feedback on ram trucks will be on front ends and transmissions on 2002-2004 ram diesels. the cummins turbo diesel is a blessing and a curse, as it is the most reliable diesel engine on the market. unfortinuatly the heavy cast iron block will wear the ball joints out of the front end quicker then a lighter motor. the diesel was also producing too much torque those years and was distroying the automatic transmissions.

when considering the ram 1500 there is a few things you should note: dodge has been using the 5.7L legendary hemi engine in these trucks since 2002. since 2006 they have had the MDS fuel saving mode and even though 2009 was the first year of the new body style, the engine, transmission and technology have been proven for years before. 2009 is also the strongest built frame in the history of these trucks and the highest rated for safty and resale values.

i strongly recomend the ram, i know your going to be happy, and i look forward to seeing pictures of your new truck. :)

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
If I can add my 2 cents, I have owned my RAM now for almost two years. I have had no problems whatsoever. I love the power this HEMI has and the ride is outstanding especially for such a large vehicle. No matter what you buy you run the risk of having problems. If your really concerned just get the extended warranty. Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can't answer, I've only got dishonest opinions. :D

I'm on my third Ram. I wouldn't buy 'em if they weren't reliable.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
If you are looking for something bad about the '09 Ram Hemi
i won't be able to help you, i really like my Ram

The '09 Rams came with a Lifetime drive train warranty, but only for the first owner :(

If i were in the market, i would have a dealership do a complete inspection, let them know that you wish to get the Maximum Care LIFETIME Warranty, if the Ram has had proper servicing, you should get it easily. If it doesn't pass, i would ask why ??

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm

·
Registered
698 Posts
Even though this is my first Dodge pickup, a '12 Express, I've been around automotive repair for most of my life and do just about all of my own repairs and mods short of AC and serious internal auto tranny work. I tend to think it's a bit erroneous to label the older Dodge pickups as unreliable...at least on an honest comparison to other U.S. pickup manufacturers. IMO, ugly?...yes. Uninspiring power?...yes...Cummins diesel models aside. I just think they got a bad rap because of their overall "blah" image. Now they have power, really sharp looks, and good comparitive quality to Ford and GM. A lot has changed with these pickups in the more recent years...all for the good. I wasn't a bit afraid to go to a Dodge pickup after a lifetime of GM's.

·
Registered
589 Posts
4th gen are great trucks.dodge has a bad rap for crap trannies but this problem has definetley been fixed since 2002(3rd gen) if not sooner.if you look thru the 4th gen forums really only problems so far would be,minor rust problems on chrome bumpers(fixed under warranty)mostly 09s, and pinion nut backing off causing rear end failure.mostly09-10.if it was opinions your lookin 4 this was mine

·
Registered
4 Posts
there are some lemons in all truck manufactures.but as far as dodge goes i have owned plenty including a old power wagon.i think they are the best built trucks on the market.i say pull the trigger and you will be happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont know a lot of the 09 models but i am on my 1st ram, 2gen 98 1500 laramie. my dad had the same truck the only difference was his had a 5.9 and mine has a 5.2 but i love the truck, all the work i've done to it is just maintance really, like a new radiator and soon shock absorbers. but i love rams and i think they have always been built better than the other trucks. even though all truck have pro's and con's and the companies will never be able to built the perfect truck for a resonable price. so when it comes to trucks, it'll take care of you as long as you take care of it in return.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've owned a 1994 Ram, a 1998 Ram, a 2007 Ram, and currently own a 2004 Ram. I could probably think of a couple of things that went wrong with them, but it would be pretty close to zero issues with them. I know the person I sold my 1998 Ram to, and it had it repainted and a new transmission put in it, but not much else other than maintance, and I think that truck has well over a 100,000 miles on it, probably closer to 200,000 miles. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had a lemon of a Chrysler product, and I've owned a bunch.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have always heard horror stories of dodge reliability so i am scared to pull the trigger.
Could be because you have always had Fords. All manufacturers will have their share of stories like that. It's just the way it goes. If you like it then go for it. It's a vehicle. Take care of it and it should take care of you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even though this is my first Dodge pickup, a '12 Express, I've been around automotive repair for most of my life and do just about all of my own repairs and mods short of AC and serious internal auto tranny work. I tend to think it's a bit erroneous to label the older Dodge pickups as unreliable...at least on an honest comparison to other U.S. pickup manufacturers. IMO, ugly?...yes. Uninspiring power?...yes...Cummins diesel models aside. I just think they got a bad rap because of their overall "blah" image. Now they have power, really sharp looks, and good comparitive quality to Ford and GM. A lot has changed with these pickups in the more recent years...all for the good. I wasn't a bit afraid to go to a Dodge pickup after a lifetime of GM's.
I'm with U on this one. Just bought a new 2012 SLT Regular Cab short bed with the HEMI.. Have always been a GM guy. Am impressed and for sure wasn't going for a Chevy "Volt".

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'll give a good honest opinion. I'm pretty much a GM guy. GM has been great to me and my family. I have had a couple ford's and they were unreliable to me. This truck is the first chrysler I have owned. My family mostly owns GM's as well, but similarly has owned ford's in the past and had problems with them. We never really had any chryslers. My mom bought the first dodge, a stratus, used and it was a great car (still running great). Very few if any repairs other than normal maintenance. It has had the engine replaced around 100,000 miles but that was because the wrong oil filter was put on and fell off so all the oil drained out. Now on to the rams...

My dad was the first to buy a 2005 ram with the 4.7L, brand new. Still has it and not a single problem. He only has 40,000 miles though. My oldest brother followed up a few years ago with a used (couple years old) Hemi big horn with 4wd. It's around a 2006 or 2007. He has had few problems. He has constant issues with front wheel bearings, we can't figure out why, but they get worn out every 25,000 miles if not more. I don't know if this is a "typical" dodge 4x4 problem or not. Other than that, he's had one electrical issue covered under warranty, I think it was the turn signal switch or something. My other brother followed up with a brand new 2009 ram 4.7L, never had an issue. It was totaled with 15,000 miles on it, and last year he bought a 2011 Hemi Express, brand new. No problems so far. I bought a 2010 4.7L ram used (1 year old) and the only issue I had was a leaking 3rd brake light (took 30 min and $10 to fix). I have 55,000 miles on it. I love my truck, and it is the most reliable vehicle I've had.

I also have many friends with 3rd generation Hemi rams that abuse them (drag race) and they go well over 100,000 miles without any problems typically, and then get sold. I believe the 3rd generation and newer rams are as good as it gets reliability wise. I understand the older rams had a few issues, but the newer ones are much better IMO. From the probably at least 1 dozen rams I've been around in my family and at the drag strip they are extremely reliable.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased a used ram, my first Dodge, a 2002 4.7, sport option with 150k on the clock. I knew from reading the forums, the the differential was crap and at 168k, the clips in the diff came out and and started eating away at the bearing retainer cap. Did not take to the dealer, thankfully Randy's Ring and Pinion is just up the road. New carrier, bearings (complete diff and axle) and 4 hours on my time from walk in to drive out. But I knew of the problem up front.

The only heart throb was the seal between the radiator core and tank went south. A new radiator fixed this. In the 18k that I have had this vehicle the only maint items were shocks, upper ball joint and an alignment have been my costs. Oil changes and such are looked at as the cost of driving.

I always had a low opinion of Chrysler because of their reputation (deserved or not) till I owned this Ram. I am impressed to the point of looking for a late model Durango to suplement my fleet.

Like others have stated, get the vehicle checked out by the dealer or repair shop you trust. If everything checks out, go for it!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't have a 4th gen, I love my 3rd gen. though. A 2005 with the Hemi, great power and reliability at over 111k. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one once I've driven the wheels clean off of this one. The only thing I have heard on the 4th gens to consider is that with the spring-ride rear end, here in rural Nebraska, farmers can't keep shocks under the things. This would also be because they haul well over the payload with them though, they are work trucks in some places anyway. lol. I could be completely wrong on this, but that's whay I'd heard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts