DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just joined recently and figured I would share a little problem I am going through with my dealership. So bought a 14 used Ram from A Toyota dealership here in Florida about 2 weeks ago. The window sticker that was attached showed this truck to have an 8 speed automatic. Well trouble is I have felt like something was not right with it and like it might be having troubles shifting into the last gears as I have felt only 6. Called the actual Dodge corporation and they ran my VIN and informed me my truck has the 6 speed not the 8. Well called Toyota up and now am going back and forth with the GM about it. Still waiting to hear back as he is requesting a picture of the car sticker that I kept in the glove box, because for the life of him he can not locate any info on the dealership stating it was an 8 speed. Either way I feel this is clearly false advertisement on their behalf. I am just wanting them to make it right and either find me a comparative ram and redo the paperwork on another. Replace the transmission with the 8 speed. Or cut a check to a local Ram dealer and have them install. To me this needs to be made right I specifically wanted the 8 speed not the 6. I do not want to just leave it alone and accept their screw up, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good luck, might be a battle as you got it from a non FCA dealer. Hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
6 Speed is a great transmission. I have not had any issue with mine and I do not have to deal with an 8 speed that hunts for gears especially in city traffic. You will be lucky if they do anything for you. It is a used vehicle and they do not always get all details from the seller nor do they go all out to research vin info.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wish you luck, some dealers CAN be a royal PITA to deal with after they get your money. I ended up with a 6 speed because the dealer could not guarantee to get the color I wanted before the order cut off (Black Gold was dropped after 2014) so I took the one they had. Some people bash on the 6 speed (hope it makes them feel good) but it really is a pretty good transmission.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My thing is it was advertised with the 8 and it is their mistake. Also I'm not bashing the 6 but wanted the 8 part of the reason I bought it. Also what kills me is This truck feels slow not sure if the 6 is to blame but my brother in law has the same truck but with the v6 8 speed and we have raced a couple times and he beats me every time. I just cannot believe with the hp tq difference he is actually beating me every time. Another thing it feels like it is taking to long to shift from gear to gear and has a noticeable shake at idle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Shake at idle has bee a long time gripe of Hemi owners. Not proven a trans issue. Try doing what they call a pedal reset. Turn the key to on position but do not start. Immediately press the pedal to the floor and hold for 3 sec. slowly raise the pedal back to normal position and turn the key off. Turn the key back on until it goes through the standard checks and all dash light go out. Start the truck and drive it to relearn the fuel curve. it is supposed to re calibrate the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Mine is an 2009 with the 5 speed (same as the 6 speed) with a 3.55 rear and goes like a bat out of hell.

One of the things you can try to help would be to clean the throttle body. A lot of people have mentioned an improvement after this. Also try disconnection the battery to delete the learned systems in the truck and drive it hard for a while, should help shift patterns.

Check to she what rear ends are on the trucks of you and your brother. Yours is probably the 3.21 and his is probably the 3.92.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Man that sucks. If you know what to look for (looking at the transmission from under the truck and looking at the shifter) it is easy to tell which transmission a truck has in mere seconds.

Sorry we couldn't help you sooner. Hopefully they admit their fault, but knowing it is Toyota I am not sure that's likely

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well they gave me $500 back for accessories I asked for in lieu of bringing it back in. I went ahead and took that for the purchase of side steps and a tuner. Not bad I guess could have been worse. I looked mine has the 3.55 gears and seems to not run like a bat out of hell so may try the disconnect battery thing.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Test drive an 8 speed Ram and let us know if you still feel that what they gave you is a fair trade.

I guess they really didn't have to give you anything but the value of that transmission may be worth more to you subjectively

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
If it has a transmission dip stick, it is not an 8 speed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.