DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2015 Longhorn. I'm at 40k miles, so no warranty on this kind of stuff.

Last night my horn and steering wheel audio controls quit working - Left front buttons (evic menus), and both back paddles (audio controls) are unresponsive. Cruise control buttons (front right) still work.

No horn. Horn fuse is fine.

Based on what I've figured out, there is probably a can bus wire/connector loose, or something is really broken up in the steering wheel.

No airbag lights, etc, so I think the clockspring is OK.

Any suggestions? I'm inclined to go through the procedure I found to remove the airbag/horn and look for loose connectors, and put an o-scope on the wire and see if I am getting a signal on the bus out of the steering column... But I'm fishing.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Could still be the clock spring, single contacts have been known to break. Years back there were some problems with the front buttons on the 2013-14 trucks, but can't recall what was the fix. May want to do a search and see what pops up.

Connectors have been known to pull apart or weren't secured together correctly causing intermittent contact, same with a single wire in a connector.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for that portion of the steering column? I will pay for the techauthority 3 day login if they have it, but I don't want to pay if I can't get the info I need (the demo was terrible and didn't have any real information).

If I know that the switches up there are getting power, and can look for the canbus wires, I can watch them with a scope to see if it's getting across the clockspring or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I lost all function including cruise right after i replaced the clockspring. Now the second clockspring. Cruise works but no function on steering wheel buttons, or menu display buttons. With a new clockspring i expected everything tom work. I am about to pull everything off again a have a look see if there is worn wires or disconnections. Any other suggestion. The dealer wants 200 bucks to just have a look see and intimates the clockspring was defective. At 400 bucks for a clockspring and another 150 to put it in, I do not expect it to be defective.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I lost all function including cruise right after i replaced the clockspring. Now the second clockspring. Cruise works but no function on steering wheel buttons, or menu display buttons. With a new clockspring i expected everything tom work. I am about to pull everything off again a have a look see if there is worn wires or disconnections. Any other suggestion. The dealer wants 200 bucks to just have a look see and intimates the clockspring was defective. At 400 bucks for a clockspring and another 150 to put it in, I do not expect it to be defective.
Did you put the clockspring in yourself? Was the cruise the only switch not working before you replaced the 1st clockspring?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tg\he cruise was the only problem when it was replaced by dealer first time.

Second one I put in myself. When the first one was done (before being replaced all functions (entertainment, Menu functioned just cruise was out). Now cruise is in and everything else is out. In fact I just went back and pulled the steering wheel and checked all wiring to make sure everything was clear , not abraded or cut and correctly clicked into their receptacles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Air bag light is on. Cruise still works but nothing else. I am not going to mess with it anymore and take it in to the dealer. But it galls me to have to pay for their tests when they have a knowledge base full of examples like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! Was wondering if your clockspring ever got fixed? My 13 bighorn is at stealership now with my cruise out. They told me its a bad clockspring also and its 662.00 to fix...They installed another clockspring but that one was defective! I wonder how long my new clockspring will last after its replaced???

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Coming up on 73,000 miles with my original clock spring and no issues

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have no posted on here yet but its hard to nail down a forum that you want to be part of with so many choices .

anyway I have 12 ram 3500 st that bought it used 4th cummins now and love them. well shortly after I bought the truck the cruise stopped working then the evic then horn no backlit. and was intermitten depending on where steering wheel was in the rotation . So i searched online for answers not much came out of that ,apparently the truck had a recall for this reason and had been done a few yrs ago well now its doing it again called dealer of course no help from them im not fond of dealers of any kind whats so ever Ive learned to be my own mechanic after being bent over by dealers to many times , so now I take maters into my own hands and have not ever had to take to a dealer again .

Ok so I knew I had a short of some kind and needed to take apart steering wheel witch i did, I thought it was going to be my clock spring after removing the airbag you have access to the wiring under bag and visual to clock spring , it was the white connector that plugs into the clock spring from the horn evic cruise 6 wires and they looked good in the plug then i check to see if the wires where loose and sure enough they all just about fell out of the plug . they come apart where the metal prong on the end of wire locking into the white plug I think its a piss poor design . I was able to hot glue my cruise back in but the rest did not hold so Im going to order the whole wire or maybe pull the harness and see if I can give it another go on the plug . I hope this will help someone out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This just happened on my 09

Dome lights don't come on when door opens or with remote. Thought that was my only problem. Checked the fuse and it was fine.

Then on my way to work this morning and my steering controls weren't working, cooled/heated seats all the buttons on the center console.
So going to check some more fuses when I get home.

But do you guys think its the clock spring?

I really hope I don't have to trace a bunch of wires. Does not sound like fun. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same issues, any results?
This just happened on my 09

Dome lights don't come on when door opens or with remote. Thought that was my only problem. Checked the fuse and it was fine.

Then on my way to work this morning and my steering controls weren't working, cooled/heated seats all the buttons on the center console.
So going to check some more fuses when I get home.

But do you guys think its the clock spring?

I really hope I don't have to trace a bunch of wires. Does not sound like fun. lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm having the same issues, any results?
After doing some more digging. The only thing I think it could be is the clock spring unless there is some lose wires.
But to me, if that was the case I would think all the issues would be intermittent.

Sucky part is the clock spring is on back order from Mopar until next month sometime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After doing some more digging. The only thing I think it could be is the clock spring unless there is some lose wires.
But to me, if that was the case I would think all the issues would be intermittent.

Sucky part is the clock spring is on back order from Mopar until next month sometime.
i just put a new clock spring in right now and it did not fix the problem

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, that sucks

Where did you find clock spring?
Your tow/hual, TCS, heated/cooled seats and steering wheel buttons don't work either?

What year is your truck?

I really don't know what else it could be. If some wire is lose or cut. It must be a major one to control all those functions.
Some have said they had to replace the fuse box, but I would think if that was bad. The truck wouldn't run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, that sucks

Where did you find clock spring?
Your tow/hual, TCS, heated/cooled seats and steering wheel buttons don't work either?

What year is your truck?

I really don't know what else it could be. If some wire is lose or cut. It must be a major one to control all those functions.
Some have said they had to replace the fuse box, but I would think if that was bad. The truck wouldn't run.
2015, the only issue I have is evic controls not working and radio buttons.
I got my clockspring below

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well a little update.

Found out the fuse was blown that controls the horn, evic controls, radio buttons etc.
Well it kept blowing the same fuse about once a week, I never had time to check anything else. Just kept changing
So after 5 fuses they stopped blowing. hahah.. So I dunno how it fixed it self but it did.

BUT.. My dome lights still don't come on when you open the door or you the remote to lock or unlock.
They have power because you can push them and they come on but that's it. So I'm at a loss right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2009 1500, no horn, evic buttons, cabin lights etc. I replaced the clock spring, cost me over $200 for part alone and turns out the hot wire to the harness was faulty. Make sure you problem solve from the fuses the the harness and last the clock spring. The harness to the evic buttons, horn etc is underneath the clock spring, there should be two different harness side by side its the one on the right. Check for voltage with multimeter on the red wire at the harness. Once I restored voltage to the harness everything came back on. Hope this helps someone, I know I grew frustrated with the lack of insight to this problem on multiple forums.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2009 1500, no horn, evic buttons, cabin lights etc. I replaced the clock spring, cost me over $200 for part alone and turns out the hot wire to the harness was faulty. Make sure you problem solve from the fuses the the harness and last the clock spring. The harness to the evic buttons, horn etc is underneath the clock spring, there should be two different harness side by side its the one on the right. Check for voltage with multimeter on the red wire at the harness. Once I restored voltage to the harness everything came back on. Hope this helps someone, I know I grew frustrated with the lack of insight to this problem on multiple forums.
I really do think mine is the clock spring too and I was going to change. But went I looked at the fusses again and saw that one was blown.

Maybe later this year I will change just because.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts