DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My horn sounded for about 30 seconds at 3:30 am while I was in bed on Saturday morning - temp was about 18 degrees.

This morning (Sunday) the horn went off again for about 30 seconds at 9 am. (24 degrees)

The horn quit by itself both times.

I went out and tapped the horn button (after reading about the plastic contracting during cold weather) but the horn did not activate under light pressure to the steering wheel switch.

I checked the battery voltage with a meter and it was 12.66 volts on both batteries (they are connected in parallel so no surprise). I did not disconnect and check batteries separately.

I plan on calling the dealer monday but I don't know if they will be much help from what I've read about this.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of problem?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Update --- The horn went off again Monday morning at 5:05 am -- 24 degrees -- again lasted for about 30 seconds and quit on it's own.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I ran into an RT van with a similar issue a while back. Turned out to the the TIPMCGW causing the problem. Diagnosing it is difficult because it's so random so you're not likely to get it resolved with your first trip to the dealer. Plus dealerships don't normally stock TIPMCGW's.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
I ran into a problem like this about 15 years ago . About 20 below zero . A neighbors horn on their Grand Am started going off . Didn't wake them up . So I went out with a 5/16 ratchet wrench and disconnected their battery . Didn't tell them for months that I was the one that disconnected their battery . Never heard it go off again . Must of been something because of it being so cold .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts