DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use their HD Ram for hot shot trucking?
I've got a 5500 that I use for my landscaping business and looking to see if this is something worth looking into to make some extra $$.
I already have a CDL and all required licensing. Probably just have to adjust my insurance policy.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Out in the general area of San Diego California, there are so many Ram Hot Shotters, that i was surprised
Almost monthly my neighbor sends a Toyota Mini Truck over to Guam
The same guy shows up with his Ram 5th wheel setup & he has told me that the Toyota will go to Long Beach Ca. but that he will be loading other vehicles at other locations & dropping them off along the way.

Remember, doing business usually means getting a DBA, Doing Business As such & such license or certificate, then publishing it in a local paper.
It also means getting Commercial Vehicle Insurance,
( i have a one million dollar commercial policy, for a different type of coverage for running a Pilot Car Service , States like Pennsylvania mandate it )

You have to buy business cards to help get your name out there & hope that word of mouth spreads quickly
Your word is your bond

Check out outfits like USHIP, they had a tv series for a while
https://www.uship.com/

https://www.uship.com/find?filterDa...UyMkFzYyUyMiU3RCU1RCU3RA==&page=1&view="list"

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
A couple of years ago I visited a couple of websites of companies looking for hot shots. After reading all of their requirements and rules, I came to the conclusion that it isn't easy to make money, in fact, the return on your investment isn't very good.

·
Registered
2017 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB
95 Posts
I looked into RV transport for a few extra bucks until I fully retire. My 2500 is idle most of the time. based on what I read by current and former transporters my take away is that it not worth the wear, tear, and maintenance costs for part timing. In my circumstances. Being you already use your truck commercially it may be a good fit for you.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Do you already have DOT number and all that jazz? Transporting for hire gives you almost if not the same legal obligations as class 8 OTR truckers I believe.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I would say that 70% of the trailer delivery trucks out here are pickups rahter than 18 wheelers, and 75% of those are Rams, then Fords, then Chevies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts