DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hope they fixed it with the new tranny and tcase. My 14 limited and 16 limited where lemoned and bought back by Chrysler for defective drive train components including the harsh 2-1 down shift, stalling in corners, defective t case, shift flares when cold and numerous other problems with less than 20k miles on both. My wife says she'll divorce me it I get another ram, but they sure are nice. She calls them medusa.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, my ‘14 Laramie Hemi never did it, the ‘16 I have now does it occasionally, more in cold weather. Dealership says it’s a characteristic of the 8 speed and Ram still has no fix for that year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I get the occasional hard downshift (not sure if it is 2-1 or 3-1) when coasting to a stop or under light braking in my new Ram. Is that what you're talking about or something different? Feels like someone bumped you from behind ever so slightly.

I wouldn't have thought to complain about it, except that I saw a few mentions of it on forums. I don't find it distracting, just there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I get the occasional hard downshift (not sure if it is 2-1 or 3-1) when coasting to a stop or under light braking in my new Ram. Is that what you're talking about or something different? Feels like someone bumped you from behind ever so slightly.

I wouldn't have thought to complain about it, except that I saw a few mentions of it on forums. I don't find it distracting, just there.
Do you own a 2019 or 2011?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've noticed it much less as I had a 2016 before I got my 2019. That hard shift is not really noticeable. I remember asking the dealer on my 2016 and they said it was normal. I've had Ram trucks for the longest time and never till 2016 model I got did I get that kind of transmission behavior.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I have 200 miles on my Limited. The downshift on mine seems to between 2-1. Like you said when coasting to a stop or under light braking. Mine isn't subtle though. It's awful. So far worst transmission issue I've ever had in a vehicle. I thought my 2015 GM was rough shifting.

·
Registered
192 Posts

I have 200 miles on my Limited. The downshift on mine seems to between 2-1. Like you said when coasting to a stop or under light braking. Mine isn't subtle though. It's awful. So far worst transmission issue I've ever had in a vehicle. I thought my 2015 GM was rough shifting.
Wel i can tell you there is no fix. I lemoned my 14 for that reason. Then I test drove a 16 limited and it seemed to be fixed. So long story short that truck got bought back by fca. Tech rode with me and when you stop, truck would be in 3rd gear, then hard shift to 1st after a complete stop. I was hoping they fixed it with the updated transmission and tcase.

·
Super Moderator
34,387 Posts
Yeah it should definitely be going from 2nd to 1st. It only goes into first when you hit 0 MPH so if you roll your stops you'll start in 2nd

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just to update my comments, I still can't put my finger on exactly when it happens but I'm definitely getting the 'nudged from behind' downshifts 10% of the time. It doesn't particularly bother me but I agree in a truck which is otherwise so refined it is odd.

I always said the weak point of my 2011 was the transmission. I just assumed with all the talk about the 8s that it was better. Ah well. Maybe I'll try to get some seat time in a 2015-2016 to see what that shifts like.

I'm a bit more bothered by the slow first upshift under light-medium throttle.

Neither is a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the slight nudge from behind on my 15 after a stop. Mine was a 4x2. I didn't feel it as bad enough to warrant taking it in. I don't know if people are having the worst problems with a 4x4 or 4x2 or both. I wanted to get the new one but hope it is fixed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 19 shifts rough compared to my 14. Issue is from 1-2 and from 2-1. Not horrible but i notice it whenever im in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, 5800 miles on MY 19, and I have not noticed ne thing out of the ordinary. Seems like the tranny in the 19 shifts close to the same as the MY 15 ED I had, FWIW...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, 5800 miles on MY 19, and I have not noticed ne thing out of the ordinary. Seems like the tranny in the 19 shifts close to the same as the MY 15 ED I had, FWIW...
Maybe the red ones come with a smoother tranny? lol!!! I was about 3 seconds from buying one like yours. This is the one I went in to look at. If it had off-road tiers and a rear locker it would be in my driveway right now. Love the red!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had a '19 crew 4x4 classic rental for 2 days. 5k miles on it and every stop, like you were nudged from behind as you stopped. Regardless of slow down speed. Very irritating and I don't remember is so much in my '14 eco D... I go back and forth of getting the 'all new' Ram or F150...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts