DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DEF gauge always shows full except when I tow my RV. When I got my 2014 RAM 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 the DEF gauge showed full as I would expect it to be when one picks up a new vehicle. A week later I prepared for a weekend shake down trip prior to a month vacation towing my RV. I decided to top off the DEF Gauge but it took 3 gallons and the gauge still showed full. The dealer checked it out and said it was good. During our 6800 mile trip the gauge operated correctly and was accurate. After our trip and a Full DEF tank, it again never leaves full. Will it only work with a trailer hooked up to the vehicle?

I put this question in the electrical section and there were looks, but no comments. Anyone in this section have a comment?

·
Registered
363 Posts
that is weird, i can't help you, i have the hemi but trying to think what would make it work only towing and not running unhooked.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
i know on the 1500 Rams with the 3.0 eco diesel, it has a 8 gallon tank & it is suppose to by able to drive 10,000 miles

I read that when the gauge reaches a certain point, it quickly drops lower
If you let it get down to close to empty, like some ppl do with gas tanks, the light will come on & you won't be able to restart it, until you add DEF

DEF = Diesel EXHAUST Fluid
it enters the exhaust system between the header & the muffler

Many Flying J/Pilot Truck Stops have bulk DEF at the Diesel fuel pumps, it is much cheaper then DEF in a jug
Lebec, Victorville, & somewhere close to California City/Mohave are all not far from you & then there are many truck stops on I-15 & I-5

TA & Petro truck stops are also adding DEF at the pump in the diesel islands

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same gauge on my 2014 3500 works as you would expect - like the fuel gauge. I suspect your gauge or sending unit is faulty, try another dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 RAM2500 6.7L Diesel, and after a few trips with the 5th wheel, the DEF gauge seemed to be working just fine. It showed the DEF level was lowering, and when fluid was added, it went back to showing 100%. I've driven approx. 750 miles since that last DEF fill, and the darn gauge hasn't moved. I'm starting to question the gauge. Should I be?

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
I am now at 1000 miles & my DEF has not moved on the gauge
I am now on my 3rd time putting diesel in
I may not have filled it each time

The true test will be when i leave on my cross country round trip in mid July to until late August

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
My DEF gauge always shows full. . .
I put this question in the electrical section and there were looks, but no comments.
Anyone in this section have a comment?
FWIW, I picked up my new 3500 two months ago with a full tank of fuel and a half tank of DEF.
Couple thousand miles later and the DEF gauge hasn't moved yet. :4-dontknow:

And at 32 bucks a jug, I'm kinda' hoping it stays at "half" for the next 50,000 miles. :smileup:
YRMV

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I see the same thing with the DEF gauge as many of you except for the OPs observation. The DEF gauge is far from being linear. When the indicator just hits the red area of the gauge, 2 1/2 gallons will pegged the indicator on full.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have a 2015 RAM2500 6.7L Diesel, and after a few trips with the 5th wheel, the DEF gauge seemed to be working just fine. It showed the DEF level was lowering, and when fluid was added, it went back to showing 100%. I've driven approx. 750 miles since that last DEF fill, and the darn gauge hasn't moved. I'm starting to question the gauge. Should I be?
If you believe it to be a serious concern, I would recommend having it check out by a certified FCA dealer. If you need assistance, let me know. - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
Electrojake,
Where the heck did you see DEF for that much & what size jug was it in ??

Walmart stores price

BLUEDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid, 2.5 gal $8.58
Supertech Diesel Exhaust Fluid, 2.5 Gallons $7.88

Valvoline AIR SHIELD 729566 Diesel Exhaust Fluid DEF, 2.5 Gal.
$17.14 < -------- this is a ridiculously crazy price

Most truck stops now have DEF at the pump, take your truck or a empty jug & fill it
It should cost something like $3.00 or less per gallon

I will be using Blue DEF, i believe it meets the Mopar Standards

DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID
APPROVED FOR USE IN ALL DIESEL SCR SYSTEMS
WHAT IS BLUEDEF®?
BlueDEF® is a mixture of 32.5% high purity synthetic urea and 67.5% deionized water that is used in Selective Catalytic Reduction(SCR) systems on diesel engines.
DEF is the primary ingredient used to help convert NOx to harmless nitrogen and water. BlueDEF is stable, colorless, non-flammable, non-toxic and is classified as minimum risk for transportation.
BlueDEF conforms to the
ISO-22241-1 specification for DEF, is API registered and meets or exceeds OEM specifications.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Electrojake,
Where the heck did you see DEF for that much & what size jug was it in ??
Hah! My local dealer's nick-name is Jessy James. :doh:
And yes, I could indeed find DEF for cheep, but like the dealer said; "A seventy thousand dollar truck and your gonna' take a chance on bargain DEF?"

My question to the dealer is; how could I ever prove I'm putting in Mopar DEF, even tho I keep my receipts and a maintenance log?" He then smiled, took my MasterCard, and banged me the $34 for the 2.5 gallon jug of DEF.

Bottom line:
If anything goes wrong with the truck, the dealer will state it was caused by a DEF issue and it's NOT covered under warranty.
Which BTW, I totally understood when I spent the extra $11,000 for the Cummins/Aisin package.

It's not an FCA problem, and I'm glad I went FCA this time around.
Ford or GM would state the same thing to protect their diesels too.

meh, I actually enjoy the occasional beatings at the parts counter. :i_rolleyes: <cough-cough>

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
but like the dealer said; "A seventy thousand dollar truck and your gonna' take a chance on bargain DEF?"

If anything goes wrong with the truck, the dealer will state it was caused by a DEF issue and it's NOT covered under warranty.
You can't associate the retail cost of a product to the quality of the product. I certainly do not consider Peak Blue DEF a bargain DEF but I do buy it from the lowest selling retailer, which was NAPA last week.

A dealer just can't say bad DEF, they have to provide proof. For $20 bucks, or less than what you over-paid you dealer for DEF, you can buy a DEF quality tester.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
There are plenty of horror stories of dealers hiding behind the "bad DEF" issue that have been discussed here on RamforumZ in other threads.
But as I said' it's not an FCA issue, it's a dealer issue.

Dealerships are privately owned and not a part of the FCA corporate structure.
And yes, GTyankee is correct: any DEF that meets the ISO specification is warranty acceptable.

The reality of this is that eventually I'll be out on the road and in need of DEF and have to use what ever brand I can get my hands on.
Even <gulp> truck-stop pump DEF. :eek:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
There are plenty of horror stories of dealers hiding behind the "bad DEF" issue that have been discussed here on RamforumZ in other threads.

I'll be out on the road and in need of DEF and have to use what ever brand I can get my hands on.
Even <gulp> truck-stop pump DEF. :eek:
I've read all those stores too but like in every story, there is a lot more to it that we are not hearing. The issue I have is that this can even happen given all DEF I've seen for sale is ISO 22241. Makes me worry about how it was stored and the date code (Blue DEF's date code is encrypted). You might be better off with pump DEF, the big boys use it and likely has a faster turn-over than the jugs.

The last jug of Blue DEF I bought last weekend from NAPA had the date code of CP1734564331. How am I to know when this expires or if the DEF was stored properly? This is why I use a DEF tester to test before I pour.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
The last jug of Blue DEF I bought last weekend from NAPA had the date code of CP1734564331. How am I to know when this expires or if the DEF was stored properly?
This is why I use a DEF tester to test before I pour.
I have an OTC DEF calibrated refractometer, and hydrocarbon PH strips, and a clarity test is pretty easy to do with the naked eye but. . .
a digital DEF tester is about $500 <yikes>
And I'm not even sure exactly what components of the DEF quality its actually testing. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have an OTC DEF calibrated refractometer, and hydrocarbon PH strips, and a clarity test is pretty easy to do with the naked eye but. . .
a digital DEF tester is about $500 <yikes>
And I'm not even sure exactly what components of the DEF quality its actually testing. :4-dontknow:

Refractometer measures the Urea concentration in percentage. I think that is an over-kill for us but likely a needed tool for the blender of DEF. You can get a reticle refractometer for $85 but still over-kill. I like the bulb type with temperature compensating discs ($20), simply shows if the DEF fluid has the proper concentration of Urea.

I've been reading on other forums issues guys are having when buying DEF from Walmart. This seems to be popular and widespread. People buy the DEF and return the purchase with the jug filled with water. I read this is also popular with windshield washer fluid and oil. Check the container seals when buying from Walmart.

I also found information on the Blu DEF date code, they follow the ISO 22241 dating specification. So my last date code was;

CP1734564331

CP is the blending facility
17 is the year less one
345 are the number of days left in the year
The rest are the batch code

17 -1 = 2016
365-345 = 20, or January 20th.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know my DEF gauge moved about 1/2 the speed as my fuel gauge when pulling my 5th wheel. 5 gallons of DEF for every 2 tanks of diesel. Driving empty, however, it seemed to hang out on full for a couple thousand miles before it started to move. I never let it get below 1/4. That too approximately 4,000 miles. Mines pegged on zero now since I deleted!

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
I've been reading on other forums issues guys are having when buying DEF from Walmart.
This seems to be popular and widespread. . .
People buy the DEF and return the purchase with the jug filled with water. I read this is also popular with windshield washer fluid and oil.
I got a good laugh on that! Pretty clever trick, er... rip-off.
Thanks for making me a little bit wiser now.
Mines pegged on zero now since I deleted!
Exactly!
No more DEF aggravation, and no more DPF issues.
(if only I had the balls to do it) :doh:

·
Registered
135 Posts
it didn't take much convincing for me. I was pulling my 5th wheel with the jeep behind it from Texas to North Dakota and used 22.5 gallons of def. My exhaust was so hot it melted the paint off my exhaust tip. I could drive for about an hour after a fill up before the truck felt like it was running on 1/2 power. I'd have to shift down to 5th for about 20 minutes then I could grab 6th again and have power back. This was on flat ground. I seriously thought my truck with 9k miles on it was going to leave me stranded. I ordered the delete parts as soon as I got there! I've put about 10k more miles pulling the same load and haven't had another issue. The way I look at it my truck will be in a lot better shape internally by the time my warranty would've ran out vs leaving the stuff on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts