DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1500 5.7l hemi is throwing a P0308 code but my code reader says it's permanent and will not clear it. Any ideas how to clear it? Wil disconnecting the battery for awhile clear it? Or do I have to go to a dealer to have the PCM reflashed? I think it's the result of a batch of bad gas so I'm draining the tank, putting in some injector cleaner and dry gas, changing the fuel filter, and refilling it with a higher octane gas for the next tank in an effort to at least get it running smoothly again.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,385 Posts
The permanent code clear is to put in a new set of lifters and camshaft.

·
Vendor
299 Posts
Hello! Some current/permanent faults won't clear until the PCM no longer detects the issue, but P0308 shouldn't be one of them... Bad gas would likely cause issues on more than one cylinder. I would consider checking some spark plugs for clues, then you can try swapping coils to a different cylinder to see if the fault follows the coil. If not, you can try the same thing with the fuel injector and spark plug.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Disconnecting the battery will usually clear CEL. But if the condition still exists it will come back. Probably worth a try. But if it is clearable you should be able to do it with the scan tool from parts store as long as theirs will clear codes. Sometimes all they have is a reader. If it will tell you which cyl check the plug and swap coil to a different one.

·
Registered
2008!Dodge Ram SLT 1500 5.7
6 Posts
The permanent code clear is to put in a new set of lifters and camshaft.
You may be right!! these trucks are known for having camshaft issues and when they get worn enough will cause a misfire. When enough meat is shaved off the camshaft lobe it no longer makes contact with the pushrod thus not opening and closing the valve correctly. DEPENDS ON THE YEAR AND MILEAGE. COULD VERY WELL BE WEAK COIL TOO LIKE HE MENTIONED ABOVE.
Fuel filter on the Ram Hemi's is part of the fuel pump. My suggestion before anything else is Seafoam is the gas tank, if not fixed, sparkplugs and the go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts