DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need to replace my wiper motor, so I'm pretty sure I need to take these arms off so I can take the molding off so I can access the motor.

How ever, I don't see an easy way to get the Wiper arms off.

Any suggestions?

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 5.2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't remember for sure, but I think they have a little retaining clip you pull out. Just pull up on the wiper and let it bend at the joint. Once bent up, you can take a small screwdriver (sometimes your finger) and slide out the small retainer as far as it will go. The wiper should pop right off. If not, just try to rock back and forth until she comes loose. I don't think the clip will slide out without bending up the wiper arm at the hinge. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't remember for sure, but I think they have a little retaining clip you pull out. Just pull up on the wiper and let it bend at the joint. Once bent up, you can take a small screwdriver (sometimes your finger) and slide out the small retainer as far as it will go. The wiper should pop right off. If not, just try to rock back and forth until she comes loose. I don't think the clip will slide out without bending up the wiper arm at the hinge. Hope this helps.
Yes there should be a little tab were it's splined. You pull the tab out and lift up. I had stripped 2 wiper arms already.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
WIPER ARM

CAUTION: The use of a screwdriver or other prying tool to remove a wiper arm may distort it. This distortion could allow the arm to come off of the pivot shaft, regardless of how carefully it is installed.
  1. Open the hood of the vehicle.
  2. Lift the wiper arm to permit the latch to be pulled out to its holding position, then release the arm. The arm will remain off the windshield with the latch in this position
  3. Remove the wiper arm from the pivot using a rocking motion.
  4. Install the wiper arm and blade with the wiper motor in the Park position.
  5. Mount the arms on the pivot shafts so that the tip of the wiper blade is on the upper edge of the lower windshield blackout area ± 22 mm (± 0.86 in.)
  6. Lift the wiper arm away from the windshield slightly to relieve the spring tension on the latch. Push the latch into the locked position and slowly release the arm until the wiper blade rests on the windshield.
  7. Operate the wipers with the windshield glass wet, then turn the wiper switch to the Off position. Check for the correct wiper arm positioning and readjust if required.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 1999 Ram wiper arms have never been off the truck. I'm having my cracked windshield replaced tomorrow morning and both wiper arms must come off first. The nut that holds the wiper arm on its pivot shaft is covered by a small metal cap that appears to be hinged to the wiper arm. I've tugged on the cap with pliers and a screwdriver but it does not budge. Is it rusted in place, or am I not following the proper procedure to lift this hinged cap up so I can remove the nut and then the arm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Windshield arm removal.

I am the original owner of a 1999 Dodge Ram and needed to touch up the paint (rusting) on both wiper arms.
What I found on mine is a straight piece on the opposite side of the arm, push it if trying to pull is tough. The track was dirty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts