DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum and have a question. I'm sure this question has been asked before somewhere on the forum and i apologize if this is redundant. I am about to redeploy to Alaska from Afghanistan and am planning on rewarding myself by upgrading my truck. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 and want to get the following:

6" BDS Suspension lift
37X13.50R20 Nitto Trail Grappler tires
Bushwaker pocket fender flares
Side steps

Those are just some of the upgrades i want to do to my truck right off the bat. My question is will i have to do anything special to my truck to be able to run 37's?
Also, if i run 37's how can i save my MPG? I was thinking of getting a performance tuner to help but how else can i save my fuel economy? Any information would be welcomed and much appreciated. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yup mtt is right. A tuner, CAI, exhaust and other fuel boosting mods can help, but in the long run the fuel economy is going to suck with a 6" and 37's.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Gear it! Going to 410s 430s 456s etc will help take some of the strain off. I would imagine the 456s would be your best bet with a 37" tire

·
Registered
430 Posts
Its gunna be hard to have fuel economy with that set up, but i imagine, with the big 3 and some 4.56s, with the grandma driving style, you'll be able to keep 13-15 mpg. Maybe im optimistic though

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I think decent MPG is a pipe dream with that type of set up...

Buy a second vehicle, and average out the two MPGs... perhaps you'll get a figure that sounds fairly decent LOL

all kidding aside, you'll probably spend more money on the gear upgrades than you will on your fuel bill. I think the lower MPG is just something you'll have to deal with, if you want to run that set up

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agreed. Any modifications you make to try and increase your MPG will cost you more than it will benefit your MPG.

You want MPG, buy a Prius...leave the Ram at home and only drive it occasionally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts