DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've seen from multiple people on here that they have used a spray called plasti dip to cover over emblems and grills. Are you using the areosole spran can? If I were to use it on my ram heads, does it need to be primed or prepped in anyway, or can you just spray it as is?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think others have done this. You should only have to prime and prep like you would any other piece. I did the chrome shifter bezel in my truck. Once I removed it, I simply cleaned it thoroughly with with rubbing alcohol and spray painted it with Plasti-Dip. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
When I Plasti-dipped my Grill and Wheels,I washed the wheels,dried them.Then I wiped them down with rubbing alcohol,till they were squeaky clean.Then sprayed the Plasti-Dip on.i let it dry for 12hrs before using.So far no chips or peeling .....:smileup::smileup:...Rob

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Do you have any pics of your wheels done? I wanna do mine but debating powder coat. How well does it hold up on wheels?
I've had the rims done since the fall.The Plasti-Dip stood up to the winter fine.Drive the Ram everyday lot of salt sand mix on the roads here,-30 weather.Here's a pic from about two weeks ago...:smileup::smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
156 Posts
The best thing about plastidip is that you can just peel it off without damaging the chrome/metal surface underneath. I don't know how it works when applying it over paint but I know that one of the big selling points for using it was the ability to just peel it off with no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
:iagree::iagree: Plus you can peel it off and go back to chrome,or change the color if you want. took 3 cans of Plasti-dip to do 4 coats on the wheels,great$20 mod..:smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am definitly doing this to my wheels and grill and ram heads on my truck. Will set it off for sure. I will post pics when done this weekend

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am definitly doing this to my wheels and grill and ram heads on my truck. Will set it off for sure. I will post pics when done this weekend
Good luck with the plasti-dip,Looking forward to the pics,make sure to get some before you do the mod, so we can see the difference...:smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Also, because it is so inexpensive, you might want to do some test runs on stuff you have laying around the house/garage before attempting it on your wheels. That will give you a feel for the spray pattern so you get a nice even coat. Of course, if you use spray paint often (which I don't), then get after it. Looking forward to the pics!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the Home Depot website, in the description, it says that it needs to be primed. Did anyone use a primer of some sort or just clean and spray like previous posters have said. How does this material, once dried, handle things like car washes?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I just thought of something when it comes to the plasti- dipp on the wheels....

How's it gonna be effected when you need to replace the tires? Will the tire machine chip/ scrape it off in places where it grabs the wheel?

Just curious

Exco

·
Registered
60 Posts
In Ontario.... Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire and Princes Auto do NOT carry it.

Home Hardware wants $22 per can!!! the cheapest I've found is $16 at Performance Improvements . Far cry from $7.23 on Amazon.com. The shipping to Canada brought it up to nearly the $16. mark.

·
Registered
389 Posts
As others have said since it peels off with out damaging the surface below, just wash and wipe the surface with alcohol and spray it on per directions on can, don’t get too carried away. There is no need to "scuff" the original surface. I did my front Rams head, thinking of doing the rear and been wanting to do the wheels. Thanks for the pics guys!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts