DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find someone locally with experience with the 5100s but have had no luck. Today I dropped by a shop that I have used in the past and talked to the mechanic about them. I tried to explain them as best I could but he still had questions. Primarily, other than positioning the spring seat at the desired height level, is there anything different about installing the Bilsteins versus installing a new set of factory struts? In particular, he was concerned about being able to compress the spring properly. But there's no more compression required than if you were reinstalling a stock strut, right? One other question he had....how do you attach the spring seat to the Bilstein? I have heard it decribed as a snap ring but what exactly keeps the spring seat in the desired height groove? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have been trying to find someone locally with experience with the 5100s but have had no luck. Today I dropped by a shop that I have used in the past and talked to the mechanic about them. I tried to explain them as best I could but he still had questions. Primarily, other than positioning the spring seat at the desired height level, is there anything different about installing the Bilsteins versus installing a new set of factory struts? In particular, he was concerned about being able to compress the spring properly. But there's no more compression required than if you were reinstalling a stock strut, right? One other question he had....how do you attach the spring seat to the Bilstein? I have heard it decribed as a snap ring but what exactly keeps the spring seat in the desired height groove? Thanks!!
its a snap ring alright...it looks just like a piston ring and that is what hold the spring seat in place. i was worried about it being able to be strong enough to support the spring when i installed mine, but so far so good...no problems. and there was nothing to compressing the springs. we used a spring compressor for mine and it went fine. the hardest part (which wasnt hard at all on my truck but could be tricky) would be popping the ball joint. other than that very straight forward. just read the instructions. they are very clear. one thing i almost did wrong was to put the new washer the shock comes with in the wrong spot. it goes below the top mount, between the shock body and the tower mount (kind of a seat for the tower), not between the mount and the nut of the shock...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhh, ok. So you put the snap ring in the desired groove and the stock spring seat rests on the snap ring? Wow, that better be a strong damn snap ring, lol. Sorry, I'm no mechanic....what do you mean by popping the ball joint and why might it be tricky? And the Bilsteins come with detailed instructions? I figured they would but I read somewhere that they did not. Maybe that was an isolated event. I tried to find the install instructions online to take to the mechanic but haven't had any luck yet. I may end up enlisting some mechanically inclined help and doing this myself. Any other little pointers to remember that might not be in the instructions? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
yup that is right.

well by popping the ball joint you have to get it out of the seat it is pressed into. mine came out without a problem, but i read others had problems. try the search function here, someone had a previous post that i think included the bolstein installl instructions. mine came with great instructions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Starquest, save some money and do it yourself. From what I have seen its a pretty straight forward install. Grab some friends, some time, some tools, and some cold drinks and knock it out. As soon as the tax refund check comes in the 5100s are going on my truck. Good luck bro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts