DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Ram 3500 with the manual transmission. Im trying to figure out how the cruise control knows whether or not the truck is in gear. I haven't tried it but Im assuming if Im running at highway speeds and drop the truck into Neutral and then try to set cruise control it won't allow me. The reason Im trying to find this out is I figure I could use this to act as a as a safety switch for a remote starter seems how the clutch switch would need to be bypassed. Yes I know remote starters are not meant for manual transmissions but if I can find a way send a neutral signal to the remote starter it would essentially be safe to install.

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
I thought remote start was not available on manuals. I would think the wheel speed sensors not picking up any increase in speed despite the engine speeding up would tell the truck

·
Registered
116 Posts
It must have a neutral switch, pretty standard item for years. My basic T-5 manual in my hot rod has one. It is usually wired to keep you from starting the vehicle while it is in gear. In these high tech trucks I am sure there is one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Remote start really isn't available on manuals but you can install them yourself by bypassing the clutch safety switch. I've found the way to bypass the clutch but with that said it WILL start in gear. The neutral switch is what Im looking for...something separate than the clutch safety switch that I can tap into to either tell the remote start that its on or off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cruise control isn't available on manuals? Are you referring specifically to Ram 3500 trucks? I've driven tons of manuals over the years with cruise control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts