DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today started as a pretty average Saturday, my wife wanted to go to Springfield because a couple of stores there were having sales, and I wanted to go and see the rest of Bass Pro and the aquarium there since she got tired and made me go home before we could see the whole thing last time.

Got back from Springfield about 30 minutes ago and was filling up at the Mobil station when I noticed some bird s*** above my rear driver's side window under the fluorescent lighting. "I'll clean that off when I get home" I thought. Then as I kept pumping I noticed it wasn't bird s***, it was this:

I am trying to figure out how this could have happened; if it were a rock or something that hit me on the highway I am sure we'd have heard it. I didn't park under anything so I can't imagine anything fell on it, and only came back to find one person parked next to me at the end of the day. I don't want to sound paranoid but it looks like someone hit it-just because of the location and depth of the dent and that's the only damage. The paint is flaking so I have to call USAA Monday and figure out how exactly I'll handle it but I am pretty sure I am in for a new door skin and paint. I figure y'all might have some ideas as to what may have happened.

Its Southwest Missouri so maybe a meth tweaker tried to break in?

Looks like the door shell is right at $500

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/aut...-gas-engine/body-cat/door-and-components-scat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone was mad at you. A while back my wife rented a SUV in Chicago. She parked on the street up near Tribune Tower. Came back to find a note on her wind shield: "Thanks for taking all the space with your PIG MOBILE." She was parked inside the lines but apparently too close to one. I said, "lucky it was a woman."

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,593 Posts
Thunderhorse - I agree, you would have heard it if you were driving it when it happened. I know I would have.

My best guess, maybe a pellet or bebe gun, while parked at home or somewhere else? It's a little large for just a pellet or bebe, though?

Let me know how USAA works for you. I had them for several years, house/home and never had filed a claim.

·
Premium Member
Ram 1500 sport
215 Posts
Looks like it could be from the top of a van door(the professional type, although they do make them now as passenger), so many people just fling the doors open and don't care. Some times I wonder how the door doesn't fall off.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It didn't happen at home for sure, its always in the garage when its at home and there's nothing next to that part of the truck in the garage. Its too big to be from a BB gun

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not worth replacing the door shell. See if you can get a paint/dent repair. Otherwise "clean" it to the best of your ability and ignore.

For those of you trying to figure it out - good luck lol.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,127 Posts
Whatever it was, if it were me, I would be a good bit ticked off! I will say, as pricey as insurance is with USAA, I have them, and when a knucklehead in a box truck who was probably on his phone rear ended me a couple years ago, they were great with getting my claim handled and my truck fixed with an excellent body shop and all OEM parts. Not sure what could have caused that but good luck!

- Cajun

·
Registered
341 Posts
A little lower and it would have hit the glass. Either way that is a dent caused by something like a pellet gun or slingshot. I have s scratch on the left side of the third light which is difficult to fix and also strange. These things make one wonder what someone else is really thinking.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
612 Posts
That's not from a bb or pellet. And it's not from a golf ball. Don't ask how I know LOL.

Are you sure it happened on this trip? It doesn't look fresh (like it just happened) from the pics you posted. It kind of looks like there is a small amount of rust in the center of the damage, but maybe it's dirt? Anyway, it looks like something fell and hit there. You can see the vertical drag mark above the most significant part of the damage.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It happened yesterday, the discoloration is from whatever hit it

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,223 Posts
A hit from something hard, traveling fast and on a downward angled trajectory

A tiny meteorite, obviously.
:gy:

·
Registered
612 Posts
It happened yesterday, the discoloration is from whatever hit it

I'm not saying I doubt you, and if you say it happened yesterday I believe you. But it's easy to miss something like this until you are standing right in front of it, such as when refueling or when washing/waxing/detailing. I'm about as anal about my truck as anyone, but I have missed things like this, especially if it's on the passenger side of the vehicle. I'm just wondering how you can be so sure that it happened yesterday. Are there other family members who have access to your garage. It's possible that someone knocked something into your truck and didn't tell you. I mean, I'm not saying that some random person couldn't have come and done something to your truck, but how likely is that?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's me and my wife, and the dogs that don't go into the garage. There's nothing between the cab of the truck and the wall that could get knocked into it. I have a shelf near the entrance to the garage but nothing is stacked that high and my ladders would hit the garage door track if they somehow fell over.

With the lighting in the garage just walking out there I can't see how I wouldn't have noticed it-and its almost right in front of my face when I grab the door handle to open it-about 6" higher. There are trees near the parking lot at work so I usually give the roof a once over to make sure there's no poop I haven't seen

·
Registered
705 Posts
A hit from something hard, traveling fast and on a downward angled trajectory
:gy:
I agree with the slight downward angle trajectory. Could be a drone,somebody's kid throwing something, shovel or some implement dropped when loading or carrying. IAC, just another illustration that most folks don't care what happens to someone else's property as long as they don't get caught.

Good luck with the repair, my insurance agent would probably tell me to pay for it and not file a claim but hopefully USAA is better about small claims counting against the insured party.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was pretty sure acts of God and vandalism won't raise my rate-just stuff that's my fault-but I'll let y'all know what happens

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IIRC its $200. I'll have to look again because I've lived in 4 different states since I bought the truck and its changed somewhat

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,223 Posts
We've used USAA for a long time and they've never yet jacked up our rates because of any claims that weren't our fault. Don't think we've ever made a claim for anything that was our fault.

We had a 3 year old Subaru Outback totaled a few years ago by a teenager driving a van on crappy tires in a snowstorm on Christmas Eve and we were delighted at how much money they sent us. More than we ever could have sold the vehicle for if it had been in perfect condition, even in a private sale.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts