DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman. It has the 3:92 and is 4WD. I used to have an ole Jeep Cherokee for riding trails (No lockers or LSD's). I'm not much onto muddin' but I like to go on trails that have obstacles and off camber stuff, (one wheel in the air type trails). I know the size difference is going to matter but I was wondering if anyone has experience with their Ram doing this kind of off roading.

This is just an open ended question, I'm looking for tips, do's and dont's and other advice. I know it's not a Power Wagon but I hope it can handle some tough stuff.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I take my 2001 1500 out on trails like these occasionally. I don't have lockers or anything. You'll definitely notice an increase in difficulty with all that weight and shear size compared to a Cherokee. It just makes it more fun. ;)

I don't know anything about the newer trucks, but my older Ram handles everything well. Just get yourself some good tires to match that good truck.

Do you rock crawl or are these dirt/field trails?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I take my 2010 TRX4 offroad, I just had a great weekend in the wilderness. I was in sand, mud and rock and it handled it magnificently. You will definatly want a little lift and good tires though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had my 1500 (300 miles on her) on an abandoned gas-well access road the other day....just HAD to try out the 4x4...LOL...not long, maybe a quarter mile in and back.

Lots of ruts and rocks....loose crap.

The road was kind of gnarly and to be honest I got a little nervous.....but man, the Ram did fine.....the coils in the rear make such a huge difference in ride offroad compared to my old 03 Durango.....The extra ground clearance compared to the D is great as well.....

Had a fun first 4x4 session....lol

The LSD in the back is a major help versus the peg leg in my D.

More aggressive tires than stock would help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've owned several Jeeps. All modified and some heavily built and heavily used offroad. The two biggest issues I have with the RAM is just how low it really is, (which I intend to address in the near future), and the lack of any type lockers, (for the 2011 and later models).

I too have a 3.92, LSD, tow hooks, and marginal RAm skid plate. If I could get it, I would put in a Detroit locker tomorrow.

As long as I'm wishing anyway, Real rock rails and real skid plates would be nice. I'll probably have to make these to get what I want

BTW - Your Outdoorsman will do fine. Bring along a friend, (second vehicle), to wheel with and get a yank strap

·
Banned
265 Posts
Help a newbie out... LSD = "limited slip differential"? Peg leg=??

How do you determine if you have limited slip in your truck? Is there a designation on the diff housing?
A limited slip isn't much better then a pegleg open rear. Under load they will spin one tire all day long. Jack up the rear end and get the tires off the ground. Put the transmission in neutral and spin one of the tires by hand. If the opposite tire spins in the same direction, you have a limited slip differential. If the opposite tire spins in the opposite direction, you have an open rear end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.