DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of us, my 99 Ram drinks I mean chugs fuel. I am always looking for ways to get more mpgs with out having to drive like my grandma. I watched extreme 4x4s episode fuel saving street truck where they took an 8 mpg Ram to 16mpg. The problem with that was the money spent to do it. According to my onboard computer I was getting 8.8 mpg average. Now Im up to 12.2, and that is all in town driving.
First step; clean out your truck. Removing all that excess weight will help a little.
Second step; I installed an electric fan and removed the mechanical one. Note: with the serpentine belt in place use an air hammer to loosen the mechanical fan nut.
Third step; First let me say I love shopping on ebay, so I bought on of those resistor type (modules). The one I bought is called fuelmaxx. Now I really dont know if this did much but I have gained 3 1/2 mpg in town and there is a noticeable pep in the engine. I bet its more because of the fan but who knows.

16" electric fan $40 ebay
electric fan wiring with thermostat $35 O'reilly auto parts
resistor module $25 ebay

Im thinking of trying those E3 plugs to see if they do anything

Anybody else increase their mpg with bolt on mods?
With gas prices the way they are Im looking for ideas....

Attachments

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,632 Posts
That is a pretty impressive gain, I'd be happy with that if it were me, nice job!

- Cajun

·
Banned
10,365 Posts
I have cold air intake, and my Superchips on the MPG tune. I am at 11.9, my starting point was 10. I have a cat back exhaust, no muffler

Did your electric fan come with everything to hook it up?

I plan on doing a tuneup soon too, new cap throttle body cleaning, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the port idea... guess i better go get my dremel out!

the fan only came with the round zip ties to mount it to the radiator.
I bought the wiring harness from my local auto parts store, off the shelf.
it has a thermostat and an adjustment to control at what temp it turns on.

any one else getting better mileage with minor mods?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey good write up, I saw that extreme 4x4 episode, I'd like to change out the front end like they did but that's a little more than I can afford right now but it would definately eliminate lots of excess drag. Good write up though, I'll make a visit to my parts dealer and see what he can do for me about an e-fan and the appropriate wiring.

·
Registered
439 Posts
id deffinately do the TB mod and slap an open face air cleaner or put a CAI on there i gained allmost 2 just from that youll be gettin atleast 14 in the city thats around what i get in the city.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow that's awesome I thought thoe resistor thing where crap...guess not. Your getting better mpgs than my 4.7 r.c I'm gonna do some research on an e-fan for my truck thanks for sharing enjoy!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be yanking the resistor module off, just ordered a SCT tuner from Hemifever. He asked if I had changed my plenum gasket yet, and I said...what?!? I had no idea until I did some more reading. That would explain alot of little things that were driving me nuts! Always a little low on oil but not leaking, worse than usual mpg, and may explain the occasional rough idle. I looked down into the throttle body and saw what I think is too much oil to be coming from the pcv. Also there is a pretty heavy film of oil on the butterflys. I just got done ordering a Hughes plenum kit with an aluminum pan instead of the factory steel one. I will be working on this over the weekend and I will post results. Hopefully the plenum, and SCT will give a few more MPGs. I know it will give more horses anyway!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I couldnt wait for the weekend to fix the plenum! Today I finished installing the Hughes plenum kit (fit great, to bad no one will ever see it) and got it all back together. I did the TB mod also. I didn't do the kegger mod, mine didnt have the big divider plate. I figure if anything I will eventually get an air gap intake.
Anyway did a quick drive (maybe 8-10miles) and my truck computer says I averaged 14.5 MPG!!! That from the TB mod and Plenum repair! Well we will see what it says after a little more driving, but I have never seen numbers that high in that truck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lots of good information in this thread for increasing mileage... My question: everyone keeps talking about replacing "the mechanical fan" with "an electric one". What the hell fan are we talking about here?

If I look around online for electric fans, they all claim to boost things like torque and fuel economy; how does switching to an electric fan do this? To me it sounds like you're telling me I can run faster with purple shoes; I don't understand how that works :\

EDIT:
Ok, so what I imagine is that a mechanical fan is just draining mechanical energy from your engine, when an electric fan just draws power from your battery? So it doesn't really "give" you more HP/MPG, it just decreases the amount of power that was already being drained with the stock setup? Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Lots of good information in this thread for increasing mileage... My question: everyone keeps talking about replacing "the mechanical fan" with "an electric one". What the hell fan are we talking about here?

If I look around online for electric fans, they all claim to boost things like torque and fuel economy; how does switching to an electric fan do this? To me it sounds like you're telling me I can run faster with purple shoes; I don't understand how that works :\

EDIT:
Ok, so what I imagine is that a mechanical fan is just draining mechanical energy from your engine, when an electric fan just draws power from your battery? So it doesn't really "give" you more HP/MPG, it just decreases the amount of power that was already being drained with the stock setup? Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
You hit the nail on the head. Taking away a mechanical fan for an electric free's up lost power. The engine doesn't have to turn that big hunk of metal anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Taking away a mechanical fan for an electric free's up lost power. The engine doesn't have to turn that big hunk of metal anymore.
Wow, I find it kind of weird that new trucks don't already come with electric fans.. If it's such a cheap and easy fix, for increased mileage and horsepower nonetheless, why wouldn't Dodge already do that?? You would think they would get aroused with the ability to claim higher mileage in advertising.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Wow, I find it kind of weird that new trucks don't already come with electric fans.. If it's such a cheap and easy fix, for increased mileage and horsepower nonetheless, why wouldn't Dodge already do that?? You would think they would get aroused with the ability to claim higher mileage in advertising.
There's a lot of things they could do, but that wouldn't let us get the chance to mod them! :smileup:

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
when they come out with next years 8 speed transmission, you will see great MPGs
maybe 10% better

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm with yea on that I will defenitely be looking into getting an electric fan and lookin to get my plenum from hughes. My question is what exactly are the TB mods you are talking about?? I know about the Fastmanns 52mm but you guys are saying drill a whole? where and why? Does the Kegger mod have to do with the intake cuz I have a CAI?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts