DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil in my 5.7 Hemi. for the first time at 1500 miles. I wanted to get that first one done early because I always think it's the 'break in' oil run and I want to get it out after I feel the initial break in is complete.

I was concerned though when I saw the oil I drained out of it was very dark - I mean Black!

On all other new cars I've owned, the first oil change was always still like dark Honey....

I will say, I ran the motor pretty hard and towed 10K for about 400 miles.... what are you guys seeing? Is this normal for the Hemi.?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I changed mine at 500 mi from habbit of breaking in the street motors for the camaro and it was as black as satans soul

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool, I guess it's normal for this engine:)

I dont know if it was placebo effect but I swear the engine feels smoother and quieter after the oil change.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It is completely normal for oil to look black even a few hundred miles after an oil change. Modern oils do a better job of cleaning and trapping oxidized oil, soot, micro particles etc. than older oils and that is what turns the oil black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Talk is cheap; my dodge has black oil every oil change i have seen other makes and modles right up to 2007 and there oil is like honey. i have a 97 1500 ram and use Mobile synthetic oil 10w and it is black every time i change it approximently 5000k it also burns the oil about a liter every change

·
Registered
698 Posts
You'd better hope your oil is coming out dark when you change it...unless you're changing it every other day. That darkness is not a problem with your engine. That's your oil working to loosen and suspend all manner of deposits that are trying to stick to the colder parts of your engine's interior. It's not only normal, it's required. I remember in the "old days" when people still ran non-detergent motor oils. I worked as a kid part time as a mechanic's apprentice during high school at a dealership. Some customers were very adamant about running a specific oil in their engines upon us doing any engine work, because they bragged about how clean this or that particular oil was upon the oil change. Those folks thought this was a good thing. When you opened up that engine, it would invariably have a scary layer of sludge built up on the bottom of the oil pan and stuck to the top of the valve cover(s). But yes...the oil looked like it came right out of the can...LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts